The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

Hi gentlemen, I have joined the ranks of the multiple-Shirogorov owner! Having bought a brand new F3 first, then getting this like-new F3 NS in the mail today, I am finally happy and will never need to buy another knife again (haha). Seriously though, the F3 NS M390 rolls out the garage with the smoothest flip feel ever, I'm quite impressed. The technology of caged ball bearings is definitely one of the best improvements of modern folding knives.
Really liking the carbon fiber on this one!
Good day kind sirs, and thanks for looking.
IMG-20240418-153029-2.jpg

Yea anytime I don’t carry a Shiro for a length of time, when I pull one out and flip it I’m quickly reminded where the bar is set! Simply the best action in the industry. Cutting geometry is second to none as well. Congrats on the new Shiro 😎

Hi gentlemen, I have joined the ranks of the multiple-Shirogorov owner! Having bought a brand new F3 first, then getting this like-new F3 NS in the mail today, I am finally happy and will never need to buy another knife again (haha). Seriously though, the F3 NS M390 rolls out the garage with the smoothest flip feel ever, I'm quite impressed. The technology of caged ball bearings is definitely one of the best improvements of modern folding knives.
Really liking the carbon fiber on this one!
Good day kind sirs, and thanks for looking.
IMG-20240418-153029-2.jpg

Welcome aboard!

BTW, Shiro do not use caged ball bearings, keep that in mind before starting to disassemble any of them. 🙃 Those balls are pretty easy to loose.

Welcome aboard!

BTW, Shiro do not use caged ball bearings, keep that in mind before starting to disassemble any of them. 🙃 Those balls are pretty easy to loose.

I've done it at least 10 times now and never lost a ball, but I'm never sure I have all the balls until the last one is dropped into place 😂

Welcome aboard!

Thanks, I am now remembering a YT video that shows that. Definitely something to remember if disassembling 👀

It has been a bit quiet over here lately and I haven't been posting much in the Den as I've really had nothing new to share, unless you count me selling off my Quantum Ursus NL a little while back. I'll pitch in with a little bump and some spare pics of my F95R which I carried yesterday and today.

H2MRxvZ.jpg

MG2lhH9.jpg

Op96JDF.jpg

Some years back I sold my first Tabargan--a gorgeous, customized drawer queen--to fund the purchase of this one. I'll always regret letting that sweet 100NS go but will never regret picking up this one, my second and updated, F95, to complement my older Gen work user Turtle. This last pic kinda reads like one you'd post in a sales thread, which has a snowball's chance in hell of ever occurring. 😏

DP0vMqO.jpg

That's a nice one!

Do you like Vanax heat treatment from Shiro? No issues (chipping, etc.), I hope.
Thanks! I do like it a lot and have that steel in both the F95R and my Russian Dr Death CF. Neither is a work knife, but both get carried and used in an EDC capacity--not used hard but not babied either when it comes to cutting stuff as needed. I haven't had any issues with poor edge retention or chipping, but I wouldn't expect anything less as Shiro heat treats have indeed treated me well. I've gotten no complaint service out of all their steels from 440C to S30V through M390 and the Vanax37 in question.

Last edited:
As I'm a newb to Shiro's where does the Stellar fit in the lineup? What are the pro's and cons of that model compared to other Shiro models and other knives of that price range as a whole?

As I'm a newb to Shiro's where does the Stellar fit in the lineup? What are the pro's and cons of that model compared to other Shiro models and other knives of that price range as a whole?
Size-wise? The Stellar is pretty much right between the Neon and F95. Pic from earlier in this thread:

R20-Stellar-F95-Z.jpg

Pros and cons are tough because my pro might be your con. The biggest difference is inset liner lock vs. frame lock which will largely come down to your preference. Comparing to other knives in this price range, Shirogorov fit, finish, and overall build quality are as good as anyone's. Their milling is gorgeous and intricate. Action is as smooth as you could hope for. Cutting geometry is excellent. The biggest complaints you will hear are flipper only opening, and non-caged bearings. Up until recently they also had free-spinning pivots. None of these have ever been an issue for me, and I've loved every Shiro I've ever owned.

Just for reference, I'm comparing to companies like Holt, Oz, Craig Brown, Grimsmo, SPK, Trevor Burger, etc.

If you’re looking for a solid feeling Shiro I say the Stellar is a great option. The size is new and while it’s a little shorter than the F95’s, it’s still the same frame thickness which I think was a great approach. The price of the Stellar is up there but the details in the milling, the lock design and the overall feel of the knife in the hand makes it one to check out. I love the F95’s and Hati versions I have but I’ve been carrying the stellar for a month or so now again and find it to be a pretty damn great knife. Easy to carry in shorts too.

Back