The Cinco de Mayo Sunday Picture Show (May 5th, 2024)

DeSotoSky

Gold Member
view

Hello and welcome to the Sunday Picture Show. Share your Buck knives with others by posting pictures of them here. New or old, plain or custom, user or safe queen, one or a collection, we love to see them all. This weekly tradition was started in 2010 by ItsTooEarly (Armand Hernandez) and Oregon (Steve Dunn). Help keep the tradition alive. Feel free to click that 'LIKE' but lets not let it replace discussing and complimenting each others knives. DeSotoSky (Roger Yost)

ZidY5eM.jpg

Cinco de Mayo ( 5th of May) is not Mexico's Independence Day like our 4th of July. That date is September 16th (1810). Cinco de Mayo celebrates Mexico's initial victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla in 1862, 4,000 Mexican troops defending against 8,000 French (or 2,000 vs 6,000 depending on the read). This victory was important because it established a sense of national pride and unity. France's Napoleon III wanted to establish an empire in Mexico. The French later defeated the Mexican Army and captured Mexico City installing Maximilian I as ruler. French rule lasted about three years. The end of the American Civil war allowed the U.S. to provide Mexico assistance helping to end French influence in 1866. It is not an official Mexican National Holiday but school is excused. Cinco de Mayo is celebrated to a much greater extent in the U.S. than Mexico and has taken on a different emphasis here. In the U.S. it has evolved into a celebration of Mexican-American culture. Leave it to American's to turn a historical incident into a party holiday. Cinco de Mayo has become more commercialized by the alcohol and food industries with consumption approaching that of the Super Bowl. My one paragraph here is overly simple but in reality the history is complex. Read Wiki for better information.

Trying to think of a Buck product with a tie to Mexico. Other than sheaths I came up with the Bucktools. Buck outsourced the assembly to Mexico with American made parts. The frames are marked "USA". The handle folding hinge configuration is uniquely different. I can't find the reference but think it was to get around a Leatherman patent. Available in 3 sizes with some color variations, black and camo. There is a 360 with a pocket clip and also some tool variations such as the file. First production run 355's are serialized, (I think for BCCI?) The smallest 350 came with a slip sleeve. There are some LE's such as for Harley Davidson. The 360 was in the catalog 1997 thru 2001 and the smaller 350 and 355 were cataloged 1998 thru 2000. Shown below is the medium sized 355. I don't recall that they are date coded.

Soa9z74.jpg

Last edited:
As previewed last week, a few of the rebladed knives returned from the SPA. All were well done. However, these three were extraordinary. Proof that the Warranty department can still knock it out of the park. Many Thanks to the Warranty staff........
IMG_9897.jpgIMG_9925.jpgIMG_9894.jpgIMG_9892.jpgIMG_9913.jpgIMG_9916.jpg

Happy SPS to All the Buck Nuts,

Thank you Roger for being the host of this wonderful weekly event. Also thank you to everyone who adds photos or keeps the conversations flowing.

Today 5/5/24 is the last day of this years Apple Blossom Festival in Winchester, VA.

Here are some of the Buck knives made for the festival years ago

Roger, excellent topic for the SPS! I remember a large Cenco de Mayo celebration when I lived in Clearwater, FL. Grab a pitcher of Sangria and have fun.
The only Buck tool I have is new set of pruners and I'm I can't get a picture right now.
I'll check back later. :)

Back