The Endurance. They Found It!

In honor of the discovery of the Endurance, I wanted to show you all my first ever attempt at scrimshaw. I may have already posted pics of this a few years ago.

I like how the blade slightly resembles a WWII khukuri

If you have never read the book Endurance, I would highly recommend it. The Endurance was the name of the ship that Earnest Shackleton lead on an incredible voyage attempting to explore the south pole on a trans-Antarctic expedition over a hundred years ago. The ship was stuck in the ice and they were forced to abandon it. The way Shackleton handles the situation is such a great example of leadership. It is a total miracle that they survived. Aside from stow-away who lost his foot due to frostbite, they were all pretty well intact too. It is full of stories about how far the human will can go to endure and survive. There are some pretty amazing parts about how their navigator was able to get them from island to island using the small life boats in the midst of ice storms where they could not see the stars or sun for several days. Keep in mind this was over a hundred years ago with so much less sophisticated technology than we have today. To be honest, there were a few times I could not help but shed a tear. The book is called Endurance. It made a big impact on my life at a pretty young age. Consider checking it out.

Last edited:
I got a set of genuine Ivory 1911 grips I made, that are completely bare nekkid if you need a canvas to play more scrimshaw. Actually made them years ago. Made a set for the fella that send me the Hippo Tooth. Toughest set of grips I ever made, hard stuff. He send his set back up near me to a scrimshaw person. They put the names of the men he lost under his command. Turned out really cool. I'll see if I can find a picture.

I got a set of genuine Ivory 1911 grips I made, that are completely bare nekkid if you need a canvas to play more scrimshaw. Actually made them years ago. Made a set for the fella that send me the Hippo Tooth. Toughest set of grips I ever made, hard stuff. He send his set back up near me to a scrimshaw person. They put the names of the men he lost under his command. Turned out really cool. I'll see if I can find a picture.
Wow! Thanks Bawanna. I’m going to send you an email about those grips.

Here's some pics of the Ivory I whittled. Just looked and it was Pappy 42 who used to hang out with us some time back.
This is the Hippo Tooth as it arrived, had no idea they has such big teeth. He said to make him one set, myself one set and a third if I could to donate. I don't recall where the third set went but we used every bit of that tooth to get 3. I nearly messed up trying to save the outside so it looked like stag. Turns out that's not what he wanted and I didn't know any better.
This stuff was like working steel especially the outside. Sparks flew when cutting on the bandsaw. I studied up a bit and found you can't get it hot. If it gets too hot to touch it will crack somewhere down the road. So you work a lot by hand and let it set to cool. It was a fun and great learning experience.

Finished product on his gun. Really a thoughtful and beautiful thing in all respects.

Attachments

• Scrimshaw 2.JPG
    Scrimshaw 2.JPG
    542.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Scrimshaw 1.JPG
    Scrimshaw 1.JPG
    404.6 KB · Views: 6
Got my forums mixed up. The guy I did these for was from a gun forum. I get all my forum buddies mixed up sometimes ya know?

Back