The official Challenge knife thread!Makers please confirm your entry

Looking forward to the results. I would love to see a picture of the bamboo structure that was built for the test.

Let me just say that the fact that you gave your knife away after the challenge goes way beyond high class in my book good sir. Plus the fact that The Col. won it in the drawing was just the icing on the cake. It couldnt of gone to a better person. Aside from all of his other great qualities, The Col. has helped support a lot of starving knifemakers including myself. He was very happy to recieve it but not as happy as everyone else was that he won it. Great stuff man!:thumbup:

Thanks, i ENJOYED IT AND WASNT EVEN THERE!! You all are great people.

Last edited:
There were some beautiful knives present. Some of which I didn't think I would like in person changed my mind in hand, and the reverse was also true, some I thought I would love ended up being not what I had imagined, but they were all very well done and made. There are many pictures of the structure that was made with the knives, not sure when they will be posted though. I didn't take part in the construction or actual testing, but I did get to play with a few of them here and there throughout the weekend. Daizee, I was very surprised how thick your knives ended up being, I figured they would have been thinner, but they were very nice, especially considering how long you've been making them for. Definitely going to put in an order one of these days.

I'm not seeing Matt's knife in that lineup. Am I missing it?

Matt's knife was snagged up by the Col as soon as the heavy testing was done.

So I did get confirmation that mine was one that chipped badly. That is how the cookie crumbles. Obviously my knife was not made for the tasks asked of it. That is now my problem. I read and remember the post about bushcrafting. The thing is there was alot more discussion about there previously being a bushcraft knife challenge and a camp knife challenge, and others wanting to see something that is more of a cutting/slicing tool. I really thought that this is what the challenges would be. I ground my knife to sub .010" behind the edge and hardened to 64 Rc. These two combined were obviously my downfall. Congrats to all those that survived the testing. Now I am ready to see the final results.

Chris - several of us wondered about what hardness you took it to when it failed, because up until that point it was a slicing/cutting/carving machine.

My inside man just confirmed that my knife chipped out beyond sharpening. I WAS SET UP, I TELL YA.... SET UP! :p

I'm actually kinda surprised I can make a knife with a fine/hard enough edge to chip! Kitchen knives, here I come! I brought this knife down to a zero grind before putting a final convex edge on it. But I did test and inspect the entire edge with a jeweler's loupe before sending it out, so no excuses. I wonder just how bad it ended up and whether it at least sliced well enough. Damn, it looked good though!

Rick

Rick, same with your knife -- it was phenomenal and was cruising through the slicing and carving tasks. All of us there were surprised when these 2 knives chipped out the way they did. There was another knife that about 1.5" of the edge rippled doing the same activity that bit your blades back and rather than taking a chance at causing further damage, it was pulled from the testing. (none of us intended to do any destruction testing)

Let me clarify, because I can see how what I said could be misinterpreted. I would love to see what tasks caused the few knives that had issues to have them.
All of the makers that submitted entries know what they are doing, and some of them it would probably be fair to call them real pros, so I am interested in seeing what tasks could push those blades past their breaking point.
That knowledge will help me in the field, deciding what I can and cant, or should and shouldn't do with a blade, depending on what the blade I am carrying is. IE If my only knife is a slicer, the tasks that it can hold up to without damage, or if my knife is an axe, what camp chores it still might be capable of. You know, that sort of thing. I didn't mean to sound as if I was implying that any of the makers had failed.
I am actually blown away that so many people would send so much hard work to the challenge to be used and abused by the heads. Its a real testament to this community, and those makers.

The knives were used for food prep, carving eating utensils from green bamboo, and whittling Friday afternoon/evening. The heavy lifting portion of the challenge was done Saturday -- all 3 of the failures happened while stripping pencil thin branchlets off the bamboo using snap cuts, which is why we were all shocked -- one of the testers was so upset that he walked away as he did not want to be responsible for breaking a knife that wasn't his. Chris - while it's no consolation, knowing how hard that blade was explains the failure to me -- the use you designed it for was not the use we put it through. If we had been doing a more traditional "bladesports" type test it would have excelled.

Thanks, i ENJOYED IT AND WASNT EVEN THERE!! You all are great people.

Bill, I really wish you had been able to make it down for this -- even with the rain, you would have had a blast.

Thanks Vik for a run down,Matt an "Jack" woulda probably made me a leaning post while in attendence,Lmao

Any word on who the third knife belongs to?

Or would you guys like to wait until the results are posted?

I think Moose wanted to talk to the other maker before posting things up.
It wasn't yours Adam -- which was very nice in hand and got a lot of compliments for the visuals. :)

Mr Shaw - I notice you said that was the 3rd sheath you have ever made. I hate to break it to you, but the sheath counted for some of the points and it cost you. Your blade design was not what anyone would consider a "traditional" bushcrafter, (it made me think of a Seax knife) but it was comfortable in hand and handled cutting and drilling chores nicely.
Something I do to help keep the holes in a straight line on the back of a sheath is to sharpen a 6p finish nail to a needle point, then chuck it into the drill press. Even with the drill press turned off, it makes punching holes pretty easy. I also punch the holes in the front before adding the welt, then punching the holes again before doing the final glue-up so it helps guide/support the nail as it's going through. It's a bit slower than doing them all at the same time, but you get a cleaner looking sheath. Doing this also means that the holes can close up over time, making it a slightly stronger connection.

If my knife was the 3rd failure (I'm ok with calling it a failure), its ok to post it here the other two already were. If anyone happens to know or if Moose wishes to post.

It wasn't yours Adam -- which was very nice in hand and got a lot of compliments for the visuals. :)

Mr Shaw - I notice you said that was the 3rd sheath you have ever made. I hate to break it to you, but the sheath counted for some of the points and it cost you. Your blade design was not what anyone would consider a "traditional" bushcrafter, (it made me think of a Seax knife) but it was comfortable in hand and handled cutting and drilling chores nicely.
Something I do to help keep the holes in a straight line on the back of a sheath is to sharpen a 6p finish nail to a needle point, then chuck it into the drill press. Even with the drill press turned off, it makes punching holes pretty easy. I also punch the holes in the front before adding the welt, then punching the holes again before doing the final glue-up so it helps guide/support the nail as it's going through. It's a bit slower than doing them all at the same time, but you get a cleaner looking sheath. Doing this also means that the holes can close up over time, making it a slightly stronger connection.

Good tips, thanks. I have not found my rhythm in sheath making. Thanks for the compliment on not being traditional too.

Overall the final product was indeed rushed. I've never had a deadline before with a knife.

Thanks, Vik.

I was a bit worried there for a second, I've never tested one of my knives on bamboo before. :D

I'm looking forward to seeing the results!

If my knife was the 3rd failure (I'm ok with calling it a failure), its ok to post it here the other two already were. If anyone happens to know or if Moose wishes to post.

Same here. I half way expect it was mine simply because I left the 52100 rather hard thinking more along the lines of food prep chores including carrots, taters, onions and maybe a critter or two. I figured there might be some light bushcrafting chores such as fuzz sticks and maybe a tent peg or two, but I can honestly say building a shelter from bamboo never crossed my mind! ;)

Thanks Vik for posting that info up. It's good to hear some info on how they were tested. I sure hope there are lots of pics to come!

Same here. I half way expect it was mine simply because I left the 52100 rather hard thinking more along the lines of food prep chores including carrots, taters, onions and maybe a critter or two. I figured there might be some light bushcrafting chores such as fuzz sticks and maybe a tent peg or two, but I can honestly say building a shelter from bamboo never crossed my mind! ;)

Thanks Vik for posting that info up. It's good to hear some info on how they were tested. I sure hope there are lots of pics to come!

If I had known ahead of time that Bamboo shelters were involved I would have sent this...

View attachment 348054

:D

Yours was the third. It didn't chip out, it rippled the edge.

I would have some photos to tide ya'll over, but Mistwalker has over 80 of my photos. Had to clean out the camera.

He will be uploading those to my PB account very soon. I'll get some pics up yhen.

Moose

Yours was the third. It didn't chip out, it rippled the edge.

I would have some photos to tide ya'll over, but Mistwalker has over 80 of my photos. Had to clean out the camera.

He will be uploading those to my PB account very soon. I'll get some pics up yhen.

Moose

Thanks Moose! Hopefully you'll include what feedback there was before it failed. Like I said before, the feedback from that gang will be invaluable!! I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing all about it. I also appreciate all the work that you all did putting this thing on and all the testing that was done. Can't wait to do this again!

This is the only one I had on my phone. Its when we were assigning numbers to each.

2013-05-03135245_zpsba7f864a.jpg

Moose

Thanks Moose! Hopefully you'll include what feedback there was before it failed. Like I said before, the feedback from that gang will be invaluable!! I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing all about it. I also appreciate all the work that you all did putting this thing on and all the testing that was done. Can't wait to do this again!

Cut like a banshees wail. Most of the knives were set out early friday morning, and used on and off all day friday by a few folks for food prep, whittling, stuff like that.

The heavy lifting came Saturday.

Moose

Back