The official Challenge knife thread!Makers please confirm your entry

I sincerely applaud the makers who are stepping out of their comfort zone for this challenge. That shows guts and class, and will help make things truly interesting and competitive and fun for all of us! :)

I agree James. Thats what this is all about. Im glad we went with the parameters we did, its not a standard everyday style. I actually ground and heat treated one yesterday. Its not the steel Im going to use but I wanted to give it some time on the hip and maybe pass it along for others to test. I actually see this as a great oppportunity to get feedback on a new design!

If I said I was not as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs I would be lying lol!

Yeah Bruce, we have a couple that havent confirmed yet anyways! We now have two previous winners on board!

Well then - I'm in. Thanks guys!

I'll make up a 4.5-5.5" bladed bushcraft/general purpose knife.

Bruce

Count me in! I will be there and contributing a knife. Thanks! sounds like fun!

I must say for me anyway this is more difficult than it looks to make something that preforms for the criteria and does not look like so many other knives in this style.

1066vic told me about this the other day, then he sends me this link today and after looking at some of the makers I'm really a bit intimidated to sign up.. I thought it was more of a small campfire but it appears to be a raging bonfire here..... :)

Since my accident in Oct I haven't ground anything but a short profile, since this is months out I'd be happy to be counted in if its okay... I have a pending surgery, getting ready to move and all that jazz but I'm almost positive I can slam out a bushcraft style knife between then..

who knows what life holds from now and then, and if all goes well I may join the gathering and bring my knife with... I mean after all I'm still a beckerhead unless my man card was revoked without me knowing about it..

BH#13 in ... :)

Last edited:
I finally have the design I will submit done. Funny thing is its pretty close to a design I made several years ago but with much more refined features and after having learned so much about design function and handle shapes. In just this short time , a week, this challenge has forced me to learn new things and has opened many questions that I never knew that I did not know. Have any of the other guys entered had a similar experience?

Once my order from Aldo arrives I will be throwing sparks and getting the testing done!

20130204_071921.jpg

Your in Rob!
I got one finished up to test out over the weekend to see if I like it.

Ok guys, we have 17 confirmed and three not confirmed. I think we should keep it at that number. What ya think?

Ok guys, we have 17 confirmed and three not confirmed. I think we should keep it at that number. What ya think?

I think even if a little more then half of us submit the knife that should be plenty to confuse the beckerheads :D, now if everyone gets their knife in they will be discombobulated completely and God only knows what will happen with the knives after that... .:)..

thanks for letting me in and I think the size you chose is perfect because it allows me to step outside of my 4" safety zone.. and like you said Chris this would kind of mimic a passaround and you'll get the feedback needed if you wanted to keep the design for future sales... the profile I mentioned in the above post just happens to fit this bill perfectly... I may use it and call it good.. :)

The feedback from this will be invaluable for maker but even more so for a rookie such as myself. I am really looking forward to seeing all the blades progress and how they preform.

The feedback from this will be invaluable for maker but even more so for a rookie such as myself. I am really looking forward to seeing all the blades progress and how they preform.

Agreed, I am really looking forward to getting some feedback and even more, just getting some of my work out and into peoples hands. It's gonna be fun :)

Back