The "Quick and Dirty" Magnus Knives Primer

Magnus Knives

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Here's a little background...

Oh, actually, first a confession:

If you google "Magnus Knives" (as I write this on the 7th May 2022) then nothing much will come up for you on google. That's because I've not really done much yet in the crazy world of knives.

In terms of making actual knives...

I've made a mini "neck knife" (titanium handle and titanium sheath). I also made a friction folder (titanium scales). I think I sold about 130 of the neck knife and around 70 of the friction folder.

My aim (for many, MANY years) has been to product a flipper knife. I have prototyped a number of different flipper knives over the last few years. I even went as far as pre-ordering some.

But two things happened at around the time I did the pre-orders:

#1 - I started to understand that making ONE knife is very different to making multiple knives and having them all coming together and finished in a reliable and repeatable way (in other words, I learned that knifemaking is HARD)

#2 - My main business (making various titanium products such pens, carabiners, tweezers, etc.) got into a really bad place (due to my general stupidity and not much else).

The result?

I had to pretty much give up on doing anything more with knives until I got the business running smoothly again (because, as it turns out, knifemaking takes a ton of time and is really HARD ...I think I mentioned that already :) ). I refunded all the pre-orders.

Long story short...

I've spent the last few years getting my main business away from the edge of bankruptcy and running smoothly. Things are good now and I finally have time to tackle a flipper knife.

Blade Forums seems like a pretty cool place to share the progress.

I'm starting from the very beginning in terms of design and so the plan is that you can follow along as this first knife gets designed, developed, tested, tweaked and (hopefully!) released.

(Here's a screenshot of a video ...because I can't actually find a photo of me 🤨 )

Magnus-Knives-Photo.png

Well howdy! This sounds interesting. But since there are so many flippers out there already, a new guy needs to bring something distinctive to the game. Got any diagrams to share?

Well howdy! This sounds interesting. But since there are so many flippers out there already, a new guy needs to bring something distinctive to the game. Got any diagrams to share?
I just started another thread a few minutes ago. That thread will be where I show progress.

The starting point is a new locking mechanism. I think I'm nearly there in terms of the concept ...and so, hopefully, it doesn't take too long to finalize it.

I just started another thread a few minutes ago. That thread will be where I show progress.

The starting point is a new locking mechanism. I think I'm nearly there in terms of the concept ...and so, hopefully, it doesn't take too long to finalize it.

Just wanted to say, welcome to Bladeforums! 👍😎.

Back