This must be where the DEKs hang out, eh?

My CPK wish list recently got one shorter.

Like a lot of folks here, I have been searching for a DEK3. There are not that many in circulation relative to demand and they seldom get listed on the exchange. I was specifically looking for a basic tumbled one in D3V to be user because I can’t bring myself to use my fancy pre-ordered one.

When the new one arrived last week, I immediately put it to good use in the kitchen to start breaking it in on some salad fixings.

i-389DxVS-XL.jpg

My wife and I have used our AEB-L DEK1 as a paring knife many times with no complaints about it’s effectiveness in that role. The DEK3 takes slicing to the next level with its thinner blade stock and hollow grind.

i-66V4pPj-XL.jpg

I have yet to try it on some wood notching or whittling. I’ll post some photos and comments down the road when I do. In the meantime, I did a scale swap to some OD TeroTuf which is one of my favorite choices for users. I also went through my sheath inventory and found an old JouFuu that fits it perfectly.

i-JjV9mmv-XL.jpg

i-NXk7MZJ-XL.jpg

It’s is ironic that I have five DEK’s now because I quickly rejected and sold my first DEK1 years ago as not a good fit for me compared to the FK2 I was so accustomed to using at the time. Thankfully I wised up and gave it another chance which led to this…

i-CGszwKB-XL.jpg

Phil

P.S. - Good luck to those of you still hunting for a DEK3. Hang in there, it is worth the effort!
Fantastic collection there Phil! You and I have followed a very similar path on these. I sold 2 DEK 1’s before circling back. I’ve said it a bunch, but the DEK 3 is something to behold in the slicing dept. Enjoy!

What discreet carry clips does everyone like for carrying their DEKs around?

Please specify if you carry iwb, in pocket, or another method. Thanks in advance
Definitely Mummert clips for me. Always “reverse” clips. They seem to keep the knife angled just right for jeans pocket carry. I tried Ulticlips but don’t care for them personally. Too many sharp edges. I felt like I was scratching and tearing things all the time.

Curious why you guys are carrying edge away, and not edge forward?
Aren't the sheath s capable either way?

I don't have one, tried for a 3 later on, but was too slow. Missed out. I hope the dek 3 makes a comeback, or something similar. Thin.

I'm obviously ignorant, but in My mind, it looks like I'd want to grab it reverse grip, edge Forward. Or upside down, saber grip, edge Up.

The few guys who recently posted all seemed the opposite.
Granted I know this isn't prac tac..... I apologize if wrong area.

Curious why you guys are carrying edge away, and not edge forward?
Aren't the sheath s capable either way?

I don't have one, tried for a 3 later on, but was too slow. Missed out. I hope the dek 3 makes a comeback, or something similar. Thin.

I'm obviously ignorant, but in My mind, it looks like I'd want to grab it reverse grip, edge Forward. Or upside down, saber grip, edge Up.

The few guys who recently posted all seemed the opposite.
Granted I know this isn't prac tac..... I apologize if wrong area.
may as well say that I m also curious

just saying

You could certainly position a sheath that way and the handle would work well (not so much saber grip - isn’t that with your thumb extended on the spine? So edge up would be a no-go). I think most of us are carrying these for utility and not pretend-ninja-undercover knife fighters so we carry them in the most useable position for utility.

It’s all personal preference really. I carry on right side hip, with the spine forward. Draw with thumb on spine. Edge forward draw would feel strange to me, plus, how do you pop the knife from the kydex sheath? You would cut your thumb.

You could certainly position a sheath that way and the handle would work well (not so much saber grip - isn’t that with your thumb extended on the spine? So edge up would be a no-go). I think most of us are carrying these for utility and not pretend-ninja-undercover knife fighters so we carry them in the most useable position for utility.

Thanks for taking time out to respond........

I don't know why edges Up isn't a useful grip in a utility situation, I generally Do grip my knife that way, but thats why I asked. I was curious?

I prefer Seeing my sharp edge, when I cut things, so I know where it is.
I guess I pull up, more than push down.

It’s all personal preference really. I carry on right side hip, with the spine forward. Draw with thumb on spine. Edge forward draw would feel strange to me, plus, how do you pop the knife from the kydex sheath? You would cut your thumb.

I just pull Up. My belt keeps it down.
I don't really think about how noisy that is, I just do it.
(Bad ninja ettiquite)

just curious about choices that people make and why. all setups really. theres got to be a reasoning behind it all?

maybe?

I agree..... I think when people post sheath pictures, it should be mandatory that they show How it's carried.... Haha

We all have different body types, and we could learn a lot what might work better, for Us....

I know with Me.... It took quite a few knives, and carry options, and Years....before I figured out what seemed best (for me)

Back