TiTAN 2.0 Pre-Order / Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a looong talk with some knifemaker friends at BLADE this year about S35VN. Its relatively new to the scene so there were problems early on nailing down the heat treat details but everyone agrees that its the new "Jack of all trades" stainless to beat. There are tougher, harder and more corrosion resistant alloys but nobody currently balances all these qualities as well as S35VN.

S30v can be a bit difficult to sharpen and once you do get a razor edge, depending on the blade geometry, the edge can chip out before rolling. S35VN was designed as a user's steel. It is easier to sharpen, tougher, and will hold an edge somewhere between CPM154CM and S30V. I tend to like bigger bevels in the 22-26 degree range so when I chose to use stainless I wanted something with plenty of toughness to back up the edge. A folded edge can be stropped back to alignment but a chipped edge must be ground back. Either way my knives ship out SHARP, razor sharp. Hell Greg Medford told me at BLADE that the TiTAN's were the sharpest knife to ever come into his shop.

Now the reason I got rid of the thumb stud from Gen1's design was two fold. Firstly I was unhappy about how the Gen1 knives closed. The long lockbar as a blade stop meant there was 10-15 thousandths of vertical lash when you squeezed the knife in the closed position. It felt....squishy. I talked with Greg about it and he made some real good suggestions. I am now using a hardened .25" stainless stop pin. No more titanium and steel meeting for lockup! The second reason for eliminating the thumb stud was utility. The TiTAN design has always been a flipper. It's quite difficult to deploy a 7oz blade without leverage and the thumb stud just didn't cut it.

That's awesome that you're talking to Greg. Other than the TiTAN, that Praetorian Ti of his has got to be the beefiest folder on the market. No better guy to get advice from. Can't wait to feel the new lock-up!

That's awesome that you're talking to Greg. Other than the TiTAN, that Praetorian Ti of his has got to be the beefiest folder on the market. No better guy to get advice from. Can't wait to feel the new lock-up!

Greg was great to talk to at BLADE. No bullshit, the guy tells you what he thinks. I got to handle his new Viper flipper and it was amazing. I also got to chat with Jake Hoback, John Grimsmo, and a bunch of other really exciting makers doing very cool work.

Great stuff Wiil. I'd love to get my hands on a Viper one day, but why do I need one of those, when I've got a wharncliffe TiTAN 2 coming my way? When I think of the best flippers around, Hoback and Grimsmo are definitely near the top of my list. I haven't had much of a chance to talk to Hoback, but Grimsmo's a great guy who really knows his stuff. Big fan of his work.

Will -- Amazing video from start to finish. Can't wait for V2. And when can we sign up for V3?

An adjustable detent is a GREAT idea. That was my only real issue with the first round. Good thinking Will

How's everything looking :D

Great! The blades have been cut on the waterjet and the titanium will be cut and delivered next week.

DSC01758_zps463340b9.jpg

DSC01752_zpsdf2f0c22.jpg

DSC01761_zpsa99f38fc.jpg

DSC01762_zps6aaf84a3.jpg

pictures, video, anything???

OK so here are the rest of the parts back from water jet. The aluminum fixture plates are done and ready to mount up parts in the mill. So much more to be done but so far everything is going according to plan!

If you have a keen eye you can see that I did a perforation pattern on a few pocket clips. Just experimenting. May add that to all future models once I test the retention.

DSC01934_zps46d4f681.jpg

Very cool! One question -- aside from reducing the weight slightly, what's the purpose of the clip perforation?

Very cool! One question -- aside from reducing the weight slightly, what's the purpose of the clip perforation?

Honestly it just looks cool. If the performance is similar then I'll offer it as a permanent option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back