To Collect Or Not To Collect?

I have a bunch of older Cold Steel knives, all brand new in 440A, AUS8A and VG1. My question is, are these knives now collectable? Or should I continue to hold on to them? For example, the venerable Vaquero Grande, Voyagers, Pro-Lites, Gunsites, an Hombre and similar knives.

All of them are either 4- or 6-inchers and are beautiful, but I'm uncertain whether to use them or collect them, especially since the company has gone over to the dark side of the Force. I actually like the 6-inch Voyager plain edge more than the 5.5-inch Voyager now in production. But again, if it is either now a collectable, or will be, I'd rather save it.

So what would you do? The polished blades are beautiful. I'm also not sure how much difference there is between AUS8A and VG1 and whether one is any more collectable than the other.

Anyway, thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
They’re discontinued and collectible. That said, it’s totally up to you. I use my collectible discontinued Cold Steel knives, otherwise I sell them. They are still worth more used (but not abused) than they originally cost, so you’re not losing money by using them if you decide to sell them later.

If the knives you posted were mine, I’d use that plain edge Pro-Lite for sure. Just too cool not to. The serrated ones, I’d sell or collect because those serrations are particularly hard to sharpen. The Gunsite Voyager I’d probably also carry and use. That’s my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Collectible yes. As in people do collect them and spend money to acquire them.

The better the condition the more people are willing to pay. This pertains to the knife and original box, paperwork. Etc.

It's up to you to decide if you want to continue to hold on to them. If money is your deciding factor, a little research will show you what the knives have sold for in the past. No one can tell you what the knives will sale for in the future.

Reading this forum is a great place to start. A lot of info.

I believe if you purchase a gold membership or higher then other members can discuss pricing.

I personally would use them. They are too nice to just sit in the safe. Just my opinion though.

I would keep them as they have been discontinued and will probably go up in value. Plus, if you like them then you can keep enjoying them. Very nice collection you have there!

Thanks for the replies. BTW, does anyone know anything about the present CS San Mai steel? I see CS now uses VG10 as its core steel, but I'm still seeing VG1 on recent videos. The San Mai knives made in Japan are apparently better quality than their non-San Mai counterparts.

I have a gorgeous VG1 San Mai tanto that's polished beautifully to a mirror finish. Wait...I think I have a photo.

Yes, here it is:

It's never even cut so much as a piece of thread. I have no idea whether it's collectable, but it most likely is. Probably won't sell it --- I think I'll take it up in the mountains on my next trip Utah and see how it batons hard wood, then I'll pound it into the top of an old car to show how tough the blade is.

Eh...maybe not. I'll just keep it in my knife satchel and look at it from time to time.

Thanks for the replies. BTW, does anyone know anything about the present CS San Mai steel? I see CS now uses VG10 as its core steel, but I'm still seeing VG1 on recent videos. The San Mai knives made in Japan are apparently better quality than their non-San Mai counterparts.

I have a gorgeous VG1 San Mai tanto that's polished beautifully to a mirror finish. Wait...I think I have a photo.

Yes, here it is:

It's never even cut so much as a piece of thread. I have no idea whether it's collectable, but it most likely is. Probably won't sell it --- I think I'll take it up in the mountains on my next trip Utah and see how it batons hard wood, then I'll pound it into the top of an old car to show how tough the blade is.

Eh...maybe not. I'll just keep it in my knife satchel and look at it from time to time.
Konjo I or II...one had the Americanized tanto tip and the other had a traditional shape...forget which was which.

Back