Today's Gun Show souvineer, a surplus OKC3S USMC bayonet...

I went this morning to the Syracuse NY Fall Gun Show, (which is held at the NY State Fairgrounds), to peruse the wares.
My mission was to not purchase any guns, and I did stick to that plan.
That said, I of course had to pick up some sort of a souvineer, so... I purchased a minty, (factory edge and all), military surplus, 'United States Marine Corps' bayonet. Other than some minor storage wear, it's a great looking specimen.
My understanding is that this model, the 'OKC3S, was specifically designed for, and solely adopted by, the USMC. Also, the sole contractor for this bayonet was the Ontario Knife Company, (OKC), of Franklinville New York.
Although OKC had been in business since the 1800's, they sadly recently sold off their brand and closed their production facility.
That all makes for this item having been a good find for me that I only paid $75 for.
It's now an instant piece of history, that's for sure!
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘

Last edited:
I went this morning to the Syracuse NY Fall Gun Show, (which is held at the NY State Fairgrounds), to peruse the wares.
My mission was to not purchase any guns, and I did stick to that plan.
That said, I of course had to pick up some sort of a souvineer, so... I purchased a minty, (factory edge and all), military surplus, 'United States Marine Corps' bayonet. Other than some minor storage wear, it's a great looking specimen.
My understanding is that this model, the 'OKC3S, was specifically designed for, and solely adopted by, the USMC. Also, the sole contractor for this bayonet was the Ontario Knife Company, (OKC), of Franklinville New York.
Although OKC had been in business since the 1800's, they sadly sold off their brand and closed their production facility recently.
That all makes for this item having been a good find that I only paid $75 for.
It's now an instant piece of history, that's for sure!
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘
Great price! They're a really great knife AND bayonet combination, probably the best of the bunch IMO. Great score, looking forward to the pics (you won't be able to Renwax this, as it's phosphated!)

Pictures of this latest acquisition of mine๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘

The only blade wear is that which all of them tend to have, (on new or used ones), that being the marks that the spring steel blade retainer in the sheath impacts onto them. The more one pulls the blade in and out of the sheath, the more this metal to metal wear occurs, but since I don't store blades in their sheaths/scabbards, the wear on this one will stay put where it is ๐Ÿ‘

Last edited:
These are still available in totally new in the bag military surplus condition, but have noticed them going for about $200. They are not as commonly found because folks are starting to realize that the historic OKC is no longer around, so that last call for alcohol thing is going on. Although new in factory bag with military contract sticker would be pretty cool, my paying $75 otd for my specimen is more than just fine, especially since it's obviously an unused bayonet. I already had an OKC M7 and M9 bayonet in my collection, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity today to add in an OKC3S.
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘

In my opinion, the OKC3S bayonet is somewhat of a sleeper as a collectible. Although it's a bayonet, it was designed to be a general purpose knife for the Marines as well. So, it's appeal is not only there for bayonet collectors, it's also something knife enthusiasts may be interested in.
Being that the OKC3S was chosen for the Marine Corps, they are not going to have anywhere near the total production run numbers that the other M16/M4 rifle system bayonets, (M7 & M9), have. I mean, they are not rare, but they are certainly not as common as those other models. And, as I mentioned earlier, with the OKC operations in Franklinville NY being shuttered, these are now a part of our bygone era.

Last edited:
Is that going under captive glass? :p

Its a pretty functional knife, I Played with er... tacti-tested...yeah that's right! On the old farmstead, it did the carboard cutting pretty well. (For future fires. place is wood heated.) I put it on one of my AR blasters and it seemed to keep the rifle easier to control when fast fireing was done, other wise it throws its balance off, but then I have Magpul lighter stocks on mine. Its not a woodsy knife, but it can do basics basicly, seems utility tasks as it seems was designed for its good at. Jack of all trades but master of none...er excpet for the pointy end staby in to things part. I was thinking of flattening a swedge on one of my two of them so I can take it in to the field off my property.

One nice thing is the Sheath/Scabbard swaps out perfectly with the black Chimera one.

Since I live in an area that is an "EVIL DAGGER LAND" area. Taking my OKC3 on my property or domicile is where I can play...TACTI-TEST them is about all I can do. The non sharpened swedged Chimera riding on hip or pack a few times did some nice knife saving stuff for me. The solid scabbard kept it from badly poking me in a bad fall for one making me look in to the wisdom of Kydex sheaths. And few other more intresting things, that makes me carry it despite its weight when vehicle camping or the pack kids are around. Oh its hilt makes it the best nut cracker/slayer around! Yeah the Ka-Bars and 498M can do the same thing, but for nut slaying, its the tops!

I know some, if not most folks here, knows that the USMC OKC3S bayonet's blade was essentially born out of the OKC Spec-6 'Fighter' model knife. I believe the only real difference in their blade's area is that the OKC Spec-6 edge doesn't have any serrations, where as the OKC3S does. Ontario Knife basically took their Spec-6 Fighter knife and made it a bayonet. I believe one of the previous OKC Representatives here on the forums mentioned that the Spec-6 blade style itself was inspired by one of "Randall Made" knives, (I think the Model 1 Randall?).

I have read a little bit about the OKC3S bayonet, but I don't think the full history and it's adoption story has ever been fully told. Now that OKC in Franklinville NY has been shuttered, maybe some former employee will take it upon themselves to write a book on the Ontario Knife Company history.
Kabar did a great job a couple/few years back in putting together their history in a short film series. I found it to be totally awesome, so much so, that I've watched that series various times over.
Sadly, OKC never seemed to have offered a good story telling of their company's history.
There has got to be some long time, now former OKC employee, that may know enough to want it put down in writing.
๐Ÿคž๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿคž

Last edited:
I just picked one up for the same price at a gun show near Pittsburgh, probably the same vender as you. Great knife, Iโ€™m thinking I should have picked up a few more! Almost as soon as I got home I used some Wicked Wax on the blade and handle - looks great.

Last edited:
Back