Traveling without a condom

Status
Not open for further replies.
I travel quite a bit for work both in the US and overseas, I always hate having to leave my Griptilian in the nightstand so it doesn't get confiscated by airport security (thanks alot bin laden). So I thought I would ask if any one has solutions to this problem outside of mailing my knife to a place I'm going to be for a week..I just don't like going to unfamiliar places with nothing but by knuckles.

I thought confiscate it out of there as well these days, maybe I'll buy a cheap gas station knife and give it a try.

Can't trust those baggage handlers, business partner had a laptop taken a few months back, I would be pissed if they took my hest/f.

they dont usually. if they take it out of your checked bags its not being confiscated. its being stolen. Just wrap it in your underwear and they wont mess with it.

I put mine in my shaving kit, in an inside pocket. Been from Cali to NewYork on a plane with it and everywhere in between, no probs. I take long fixed blades along for the rides if I know I'm going to be next to a spot I wanna hike or bumm. Last time in Kalifornia, I had an ESEE 4, BK14, BK2, and a BK9. Used the ESEE mostly, it was "a kinder looking demon of steel and edge" than my others. EDC'd the BK14.

Moose

I'd work up a nice pair of dirty drawers with skid marks and extra swass! They won't touch that for any knife!

I put a knife (or three) into a sock, and stick it in a pair of shoes in my checked luggage. I flew about 30k miles last year and never once did one get stolen. I wont go anywhere without one. I've taken them to canada without issue as well.

I don't take a good knife with me - just throw a decent folder in the check bag. I have a freebie 2.5" folder the NA Hunting Club sent me. It went with me to Jamaica. Your keychain goes in your carry on bag - specifically for air travel I have a paracord key lanyard made of about 10' of paracord. I got fancy and tied a monkey fist on the end with a marble for the core.

I also wrap all the handles of my luggage in paracord knots - this helps ID my bags and gives me a few feet of cord. I also keep a fresnel lens and Fox whistle with me.

When you land you can get a lighter at the airport, keep an eye out for 'souvenir' sharps.

One other thing - TSA can't take away your cane. It is a medical necessity for your bad knee, football hip, war wound, etc.

Depends what you want to do with it. I carried a knive for almost 5 years without having it discovered. It was a hard plastic shiv. I also carry a montblanc refill which is a great defense weapon and you can even carry a garrote. But god help you if you carry a tiny nail knife or scissors.

I also like to buy local kitchen knives even in countries that freak out if you carry a hunting knife. Hell you can carry a axe in a place that will take away a switchblade in a heartbeat. For self defense, deep jabbing is more efficient than cutting anyways.

Bottom line you can buy an ice pick, utility blade or camp knife wherever you go and check it for the trip home.

I find that any cool knife instantly becomes "military equipment" subject to confiscation by any greedy customs or border agent

one article in TK magazine once suggested a "boning knife" (long, thin flexible blade) in a cardboard and duct tape sheath. here in the states, a knife like that is about $10 at wally world or similar.

i've seen some guys suggest zip tying tempting items to the frame of your checked baggage. most of these roll on bags seem to have some kind of frame inside.

if you're really worried about it not being there when you reach your destination, pack an easily replaceable, but decent knife. from Spyderco, Kershaw, CRKT or whoever. i picked up a new CRKT Hammond Cruiser for $25 shipped in the exchange. it's a bit thick for carry clipped in your pocket, but a fairly decent knife, especially considering the price. i got it to stash in the GHB/ruck i keep in the truck.

or consider a Superkinfe. the ones with he plastic handles are kinda nice for utility use and could be used as a defensive tool in a pinch (they just don't have much reach). i don't really like any of the utility blade folders with aluminum scales. they're under $10 and you can buy a pack of Stanley blades at your destination or carry them in your checked baggage. take the blade out and put the bladeless "knife" in your carry on for travel. i don't think TSA will try to snag a tool with no blade.

I've traveled through Amsterdam, London and Dubai on my way to and from Afghanistan several times. I've carried several knives in my checked bag up to the size of a 4" blade folder BM 806 without problems. I will say that if you're going through Baghdad airport, they do not allow any knives or leatherman type multitools, even in in your checked baggage. Of course, with airport security, YMMV. Just be aware that while you may go through airport security without problems, actually carrying the knives once you get where you're going may be illegal. I was told by an Emirati in Dubai that the knife I had in my pocket was illegal, so I quickly made sure it was no longer visible to prevent any issues. Of course, England has strict knife rules that prevent you from carrying anything larger than a 3" blade slipjoint (don't quote me on that one). Don't know about other countries.

Some good suggestions, thanks for the beta. I like the idea of zip tying it to the frame of the luggage would make me feel better anyway. I actually woke this morning thinking about a thin carry on with a ceramic blade, hardened plastic pivot pin and solid g10 handle. Would not be much good in a survival situation in the jungle but for a self defense might be just enough.

I actually woke this morning thinking about a thin carry on with a ceramic blade, hardened plastic pivot pin and solid g10 handle. Would not be much good in a survival situation in the jungle but for a self defense might be just enough.

By carry on, if you mean a knife you can sneak past security and actually carry on the plane, you're just asking to be arrested. I don't know about ceramic pocket knives, but I do know that ceramic kitchen knives have enough metal impregnated in the ceramic blades to set off metal detectors or show up on baggage screens. Get caught doing that in America is one thing. Get caught with that knife in another country, and you'll find out their justice systems are often not as kind to criminals, especially ones from other countries.

really? I honestly had no idea the ceramic blades had metals in them, interesting. I guess I need to do some reading.

As for the security you are right, definitely dont want to end up in some foreign prison, plus now that the U.S. is implementing those new body scanners I doubt there will be any chance of sneaking anything anywhere. Looks like checked in the luggage is the answer, or a good mont blanc refill

From the internets:

;If you're sending it through the X-Ray machine, very easily. X-Rays are blocked by things that have high molecular weights. Most ceramic knives are made from Zirconium Oxide. Zr has a molecular weight of 40. Much higher than the 26 of Iron, the principal component of a steel knife. Another common material is Aluminum Oxide, but these are stabilized with Zirconium or Yttrium (39), making them easier to detect.

Some ceramic knives are made from Silicon (14) Carbide (6). These would be much harder to detect via Xray.

Were you to carry one of these on your person through the arch you could probably get any of these through undetected. These materials are not magnetic.

I would suspect that these would show up pretty clearly on one of the new "see through your clothes" scanners if you were subjected to this."

The goal is not to get a knife on plane (they give you one when you order dinner on international flights) to be able to travel with one once you land for whatever reason. That's why I suggest just buying one or if you do check. Just keep in mind that skanky countries and their beloved inspectors, baggage handlers etc like to steal good knives.

I'll not fly with my hest/f.. even wrapped in dirty socks..

im a knives collectionner, i always buy one locally as a souvenir from the place i traveled and check it back home..

If you need a knife on the plane, just ask for the whole soda can when you get a drink. There are a few sharp edges to be utilized if you need them.

is that what you were reffering to RYP ?
Watch yer back cardboard ...... there comin to get u ! you too packaging tape

Last edited:
If you need an airplane shiv you just take the stewardess' tongue (razor sharp I hear) and tape it to your seat cushion (hard as rock) and then just stab yourself repeatedly the next time you get locked in the plane for 6 hours stuck on the runway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back