V-TAC Quality?

mymindisamob

Platinum Member
Can anyone share their experience, feelings and/or pics of the Lagana VTAC? How is the finish on the head? How is the millwork or casting inyour opinion? Does it meet your expectations? Does it look like the pics on their site? Have you had any proplem with rust? And, what was your impression when you opened the box?
I know, a lot of questions. I just recieved mine last Friday and wanted to see what others had to say.

My main mistake was getting the CQC-T first, so now I judge everything else by its quality.
When I opened my box on the VTAC and slid the hawk out of the sheath the first thing I noticed was that approx. 80% of the main cutting edge on both side was rusted or corroded as if it was stored in someplace wet.
About 20 min. with some cratex and files got rid of the rust/corrosion and a couple of licks with a diamond steel gave the edge a razor sharpness.

The finish appears to be painted black but only a few forging marks were in evidence since this is not a machined head.
The spike was very pointy sharp and showed no rust or corrosion.
The handle even with its "diamond plate" surface feels kind of slick in the hand, so I think I will cover it with some leather or bicycle inner tube.

All-in-all I think the VTAC would perform the way it is supposed to with hard usage and it looks to my just like the pictures where it has been advertised. It's just a shame that all hawks can't reflect the same quality as the CQC-T, but then again the price is about double that of the VTAC. I think I will be satisfied with the VTAC over time when it take some hard use.

Hope I answered some of your questions.

Ciao
Ron
:rolleyes:

Edge was rusty when I got it. 3 minutes with steel wool, sandpaper and WD-40 and it looks damn good and is a bit sharper, too. ;)

Thanks Guys, I am relieved that this is the norm. I'm a little disappointed, but like you said muzzleup, I'm comparing to the CQC-T. It is overall, an impressive tool.
Andy, please disregard my emails and calls, and Thank You again for a great hawk. :thumbup:

As a long time lurker in this forum, I bit the bullet and ordered a VTAC a few days ago. I'll post my impressions once received.

I am mostly interested in functionality rather than cosmetics. So the comments in the previous posts don't really bother me too much. I suspect that if a BG is hit with a VTAC or a CQC-T the results would be the same. :)

my reaction was disappointment, for the price.

I like it, I don't regret buying it, and it seems pretty sturdy (time will tell) but with regards to appearance, subjective feel, and my opinion of the execution of the design, I'm not overly impressed.

I Have Three Of Them Now And Just Ordered One For My Son.
The Material Is All Quality And The Price Is Fair. These I Can Use.
The Fancy Ones Are For Collecting . Enjoy

The v-tac is a not a machined hawk. It may not look as good as the emerson hawk but it can be thrown again and again. Try hurting the thing!

The original design of the v-tac head is still the same as it was when Peter brought the thing to life and it still works very well! looks are not as important as function. I do agree that the handle is a slick sucker.

My VTAC is pretty much what I expected; a no-nonsense hard use working tool. My biggest gripe is the grind on the lower edge of the spike is off-center. No big deal. Forge marks are apparent, but this only serves to identify my 'hawk as mine. Unique. It isn't overly pretty, but pretty ain't gonna cut through the roof of a car if I need it to. Mine wasn't rusty when I got it, but it did develope a fine-grained rust on the exposed metal after some fondling. Steel wool and oil took care of it. The handle is a tad slick. I'm going to try to rustle some appropriate grip tape for mine.

IMO, the VTAC is perfect in the sense that it will do exactly what it was intended to do. Every time. Without fail.

I do think the VTAC is just about indestructable. The initial looks are not pretty like the pics on ATC's site. But it still is more refined than other makes I've seen. I am considering some file work to modify the uneven grinds. Has anyone else tried this?

Mine looks nothing like the picture! The forging looks more like a very poor CAST! forging marks on spike end are 1/32 to 1/16th deep ( like a blob of metal that has been sharpened!)) Had to regrind all cutting edges. Throws well and sofar Robust. Would like a replacment but unwilling to wait another 9 months!

Ringo...we have plenty in stock. If you don't like it, send it back and if I determine it shouldn't have left our shop, we'll replace it. How's that?

Hey Guys!

New to this forum here, and have never posted. I know nothing about these at all. I have a room full of HI khukuris, whose forum (The Cantina) is where I usually hang out.

I wanted to try these out and the only hits I saw offhand was this "new" Lagana Vietnam tactical hawk, a wood handled "Vietnam" hawk for only about $30 from Cold Steel, and a really nice looking hawk for $275 from Emerson I think (?) had rubber rings on the handles and a very nice looking blade, but a bit out of my league right now.

I ordered two of these from Botach for my son and myself (I have heard horror stories about Botach but they were fine for me) at just $85 each and they came in only 3 days.

The cast head looks just like the advertised pic, and seems strong and well made. I saw a beef about the blade grind on the spike, but can't see that if the grind on that was slightly more to one side than the other that it would make any difference at all. No rust at all on mine.

I'm not sure how these should balance. I know the handle is probably indestructible, but wish it had the oval shape and feel and weight of hickory, mostly so I could orient the direction of it in my hand. So, head is perfect, but handle just slightly heavier, slightly more oval, and slightly "tackier"? If that makes sense. However, ATC must know what their customers want and has a proven reason for this design. Again, I may be talking nonsense, so feel free to set me straight. I haven't thrown it yet but it seems to me it will turn very fast with such a light handle. Are lighter handles better in a 'hawk? This one balances about 2" behind the head.

The handle also seems very slick feeling to me, so the raised ribs don't really do a lot for me, and has what looks like small embedded scratches in the "plastic" down towards the lanyard hole, but they both have that so I'm sure it's just from the molding process. They are not that noticeable in any case.

I have some 3M grip tape that was a product that was discontinued a couple of years ago for putting on hammer handles and other impact tools, and intend to wrap the handle with a piece of this just above the ATC logo. This is good stuff and I use it on all my hand sledge hammers, and also have made a couple of Assegai spears and wrapped those shafts with this as well. As a final touch I have some military OD spray paint and thought I might randomize it a bit with that just for looks.

Final thought is that the sheath is nice, but don't know why there is so much play in the sheath for the head. I would prefer it kind of lock in the head more, but maybe there is a reason for that. Come to think of it, if it's lashed to your LBE you would want some play so you could fish it out, so that's probably why.

I can only relate this to larger knives, so it seems to me to be a very good value for the price, but if I had paid full retail for it which I take is quite a bit more, I don't know if I would still feel that way, but of course that is the case with many knives. I plan on sharpening it up just a little bit (as from the grind I don't think it is intended to slice paper and I don't want that fine of an edge anyway) and seeing how it throws.

I didn't want to come across as critical, those are just my impressions. It seems strong as hell; I don't see how you could break it even chopping concrete. And it obviously has some good thought behind it. I can see that it could be a formidable weapon in the right hands. I was thinking the grip tape and a small lanyard, and I'll probably be set.

I can tell you for sure that I would not want to be in the way of this thing in the hands of someone who really knew how to use it, especially the spike on the back side of the head. It looks painful! :eek: :D

Thanks,

Norm

Just received my VTAC and....overall disappointing. One side of the hawk is fine but the other side has marks in it that is quite rough. The bottom one-third of the handle seems to have imperfections in the material. But the least appealing feature is that the spike has a slight but distinct curve to the right (while looking down on the head from the butt of the handle).

Andy, can I send this back for you to look at? I am new to hawks so If you inspect it and decide it is fine I will accept it but it sure doesn't look like the pics on your web site.

Semp

Most of the remarks here are addressed in our LaGana VTAC FAQ thread, but allow me to revisit some charcteristics of the product.

The head is drop-forged in an open environment. The head comes out heavily scaled and decarburized. Our descaling operation, which removes most of the scale, is an agressive blasting system. Often, one side of the head is exposed to more air in the die than the other, resulting in more scale on that side. After the descaling operation, some of it remains.

If we performed an additional grinding operation to remove all of the scale, we would have to charge more. At $129.95 retail, there is no better performing Tomahawk at any price...and as most of you know, many dealers sell it for less. We are exploring ways we can improve the final finish that do not compromise price or speed of manufacture. For now though, the cosmetic imperfections of drop forging do not rise to a methodology change in manufacturing for us.

However boys, you know my committment to service...if ANYONE isn't happy, send it in to me and I'll try to make it right...you all already know this. I have no problem swapping pieces out or re-sharpening stuff or just plain doing what I have to do to make you happy. Call me...e-mail me...if you don't get me, do it again, because you WILL get me...and I'll make it right for you.

I just went out in the yard and played with my VTAC for the first time since recieving and sharpening it. Now, I have to say I was more than dissapointed at the cosmetics, slick handle and off center grinds. So, I worked on it with a file and took 150 grit sandpaper to the handle lightly. As I was saying, I went out in the yard and threw this lil' monster alot, swung it around a bit and chopped the ground, some chunks of alder, fir and maple. Oh my Gawd! This thing is a glutton for punishment! Nothing comes loose, it flies true, it resharpens easily and I don't give a crap about the looks. My VTAC is officially my Best B!TCH! :D
Thanks Andy, I'll be getting more of these and the Next Gen when you release it again (when :confused: )!

-Mike

howdy, everyone!
I tell you, i was quite happy with the V-Tac that I obtained from Brigade Quartermaster.
Yes, the head has some rough spots, but I rather like it that way! I think it looks cool.
The handle has some bubbles in it near the head, but, this is merely cosmetic, and doesn't bother me.
All in all, I love it. It has gone on virtually every camping trip and patrol I have been on, since I got it. It has traveled thousands of miles in the jeep, while I was on vacation. It traveled from here to Ohio in a cooler on my backseat, for a different take on keeping it out of sight, yet handy. No rust as a result of that, by the way.
Actually, it has never even been put away! Currently, it is leaning against a stack of magazines on my side of the living room sofa.
I hope that eventually Andy comes out with color variations, so I can have an excuse to buy another one. Coyote brown, or tan, or a nice OD.......

Back