Very disappointed in cold steel secure ex sheath!

I agree with your post, but if the sheath is very closely form fitted, as is the case with my GI Tanto, it is practically unavoidable that the edge will contact the sheath when drawing/inserting the blade.

It can certainly be little difficult, I'll give you that. As I've previously mentioned, for me this is just common practice with any sheath made with any material. Despite that, I will absolutely acknowledge that the edge will sometimes contact the sheath on a draw or resheathing.

The thing you need to remember is that regardless of sheath material, it's a bad idea (for different reasons for different materials) to drag the edge of your blade on any sheath as you draw. Put slight pressure on the spine and it should be alright. If you screw up once in a while because you're human, a quick swipe on a honing rod or strop will fix it in no time.

I strongly agree with Kwon . I've owned the same knife and sheath for many years and never had a problem with dulling . I do always try to draw in a fashion similar to a katana , such that the friction is against the spine of the knife . But also I'm not much concerned with the sharpest possible edge nor with scratches on the blade. For me the knife is a tool to be used -respected but not worshipped or obsessed over !

It's not about having the sharpest possible edge or being obsessive. Watch the video link above. We are not talking about hair whittling or even shaving sharp edges. When you knife can't even cut printer paper after a few strokes on the sheath you have a problem. I don't mind sharpening my knives but having to sharpen them after being dulled by simply drawing from the sheath is self defeating. I have switched to a cordura sheath from the bowie machete and there's no dulling whatsoever on my Natchez bowie. Cut through multiple hard plastic water bottles and ton of newsprint and the knife still pops fine hairs that just regrew from my forearm.

I will most likely never buy another cold steel knife that comes with one of there secure ex sheaths again. Pulled my steel tiger out twice and the edge went to hell

It's not about having the sharpest possible edge or being obsessive. Watch the video link above. We are not talking about hair whittling or even shaving sharp edges. When you knife can't even cut printer paper after a few strokes on the sheath you have a problem. I don't mind sharpening my knives but having to sharpen them after being dulled by simply drawing from the sheath is self defeating. I have switched to a cordura sheath from the bowie machete and there's no dulling whatsoever on my Natchez bowie. Cut through multiple hard plastic water bottles and ton of newsprint and the knife still pops fine hairs that just regrew from my forearm.

I'm glad you found a solution that works for you and can now enjoy using the Natchez . Mine is years old and maybe the sheath was made roomier back then- it sure rattles around . Everyone has different exact concerns especially with sheath design,materials, fit and carry . Unless you are very diligent with maintenance , leather and fabric of any type can hold moisture and corrosives in contact with your blade . They can also be the devil to clean if they get really soiled with blood,fat,hair & mud .

Having lived with older types of sheaths/holsters for many years , I can appreciate the plastic types for field use at least .

I'm glad you found a solution that works for you and can now enjoy using the Natchez . Mine is years old and maybe the sheath was made roomier back then- it sure rattles around . Everyone has different exact concerns especially with sheath design,materials, fit and carry . Unless you are very diligent with maintenance , leather and fabric of any type can hold moisture and corrosives in contact with your blade . They can also be the devil to clean if they get really soiled with blood,fat,hair & mud .

Having lived with older types of sheaths/holsters for many years , I can appreciate the plastic types for field use at least .

I love plastic and Kydex sheaths for durability and ease of maintenance, but the secure ex sheath material does dull the blade excessively (IME), and that is a problem.

Speaking for myself, I think the plastic secure-x sheaths are bad juju for knife blades, I hate how they look and how they ride when being carried. No accounting for taste, but it's a drag to have to build my own leather sheaths because the ones that come with my knives s*ck so bad... Just sayin, I have many Cold Steel knives (Cold Steel has been my "go-to" knife since the first Trailmaster came out in the mid-1980's), some of the older ones have good, leather sheaths, while most of the newer ones have the plastic, which I have to replace. Did I mention that I hate plastic??

I have been reading about loads of issues with these and i must say i have had none! i have almost 10 fixed blades with SecureEx an think they are better than average, I dont like the snap fastener bit and fabric but the sheaths are good in my book. maybe i have been lucky???

I’ve had some dulling issues, but it’s not every sheath. My drop forged boot knife sheath is excellent all the way around.

My least favorite are the ones that come with the master hunter and I assume the srk and recon tanto have this problem as well: the sheath tears up the Kraton finger guard. Why design a sheath that wears so much on the handle? I have a kydex sheath that cold steel used to supply with the master hunters and it is excellent, and does not wear the handle out.

Just going to add my own 2 cents on this issue.

I don't plan on buying any knives with glass reinforced plastic sheaths, unless they are designed in a way that prevents the glass reinforcement from dulling the edge. I have to consider the additional cost of replacing the a Secure-Ex sheath with a custom sheath for any blade that I am interested in. I also don't really want to create additional waste by throwing the the provided Secure-Ex sheath into a landfill.

I would personally prefer that knives either be shipped no sheath than a Secure-Ex sheath. Cold steel would be doing themselves a favor by offering higher quality sheaths for purchase, included or separately.

Just got my cold steel Natchez bowie O1 and spent the past few days reprofiling the edge to 20 deg and honed it to shaving sharpness. Today I decided to do something stupid: test the sheath. Slid it in and out a few times. Now the sharpness is gone! I can even see multiple big glints on the edge against the light which was completely clean before! Sheaths are not supposed to blunt the knife. Cold steel are you listening? How about solving these quality issues with your current products before introducing hundreds of new products on the ma

Just got my cold steel Natchez bowie O1 and spent the past few days reprofiling the edge to 20 deg and honed it to shaving sharpness. Today I decided to do something stupid: test the sheath. Slid it in and out a few times. Now the sharpness is gone! I can even see multiple big glints on the edge against the light which was completely clean before! Sheaths are not supposed to blunt the knife. Cold steel are you listening? How about solving these quality issues with your current products before introducing hundreds of new products on the market.
IMPORTANT PSA!!! NEVER PUT YOUR KNIFE IN A COLD STEEL SHEATH!!! For my new 3V Master Tanto the weird retention is accomplished by pressing the spine and EDGE OF TRHE BLADE into the sheath, thus completely dulling the inch and a half closest to the handle. WHO TF THOUGHT THAT WAS A GOOD IDEA?!? Love the blade, grind, design, balance, etc. The sheath is a crime against humanity.

Back