Vintage chicken scissors?

texpat

Gold Member
Hey guys, recently my wife and I finally bought a house, the place is over 100 years old, and I keep finding odds and ends left to us by the previous owner(s), and this is one of those finds, they were out in the garage with some garden tools, but I noticed they didn't really look like pruners, so brought them in and searched and apparently they are poultry shears for cutting up chicken? They're vintage but not particularly valuable, but was hoping to find out more information about them, maybe year of manufacture, definitely keeping them as the wife was very happy when I showed them to her.

One on the left is stamped "Hugo Linder Deltawerk, Made in Germany", I was able to find out some info on Hugo Linder, cool history, and seems to indicate these were maybe made in 60's?

One on the right is stamped "Barry Imp Co., Czechoslovakia", and on the reverse side is stamped "chromium", and while I have seen other items for sale online made by this Barry Imp Co., I can find no info about them or their history or when these might have been made. It's missing its spring unfortunately and i'm curious what type it was as i'd like to replace it with at least the proper type spring.

Anyhoo, thought i'd share the pic, these seem very well made, I love vintage cutlery. And hopefully somebody might know something about them. Sorry about the bad lighting in the picture.

5qjjg2.jpg

Hard to find any info on Barry Imp Co. I can find one listing from January 1934 mentioning that they will be showing off their gadgets at the JL Hudson department store's housewares exposition in Detroit with no other info.

I can also find a listing mentioning them trying to join an import/export organization in 1950. No other info, except they were from New York City.

The type of spring you're looking for is called a Volute spring - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volute_spring . They are common on pruning shears, etc.... Amazon sells them cheap under that name.

Thanks for that info, never knew what that kind of spring was called, i'll snag one on the next amazon order!

Well you found more than I did on the Barry Imp Co, thanks for that as well, gonna do some more deep digging today on both.

Back