Recommendation? Vintage Marto Toledo ivory rooster Katana

I researched it using some AI tools and it was identified as an original Marto Model 635

BARD: "As you can see, it has a serpentine rooster-like engraving on the blade and a copper/bronze cap instead of a dragon head. The sheath is also different from other models, with a metal interior and a crimson candy cane-like wrapping.

Marto Model 635 katanas are prized for their high quality and durability. They are made with tamahagane steel, which is a type of Japanese steel that is known for its strength and flexibility. The blades are also hand-forged by skilled craftsmen, which ensures that they are of the highest quality.

If you have an original Marto Model 635 katana, it is a valuable and rare sword. You should take good care of it and consider having it appraised by a reputable sword dealer."

Bing chat:
the sword is indeed a Marto Model 635, which is a rare and valuable katana that was produced in Toledo, Spain, between 1960 and 1980. The sword has a stainless steel blade with a serpentine rooster engraving, a faux ivory handle with a bronze cap, and a red lacquered scabbard with a metal interior. The sword is similar to the one used by Duncan MacLeod in the Highlander series, but it does not have the dragon head on the handle. The sword was also featured in the movie You Only Die Twice, as you mentioned1

The Marto Model 635 is considered to be a high-quality and authentic katana, unlike some of the later replicas that were made of cheaper materials and had less detail. The sword is also very rare, as it was discontinued after the 1980s and only a few hundred were made. The sword is highly sought after by collectors and fans of Highlander and other movies that featured katanas

ChatGPT:
"
from your description, it sounds like you have a unique variation of the Marto Toledo ivory dragon head katana from the movie Highlander.

It's not uncommon for movie props and licensed merchandise to vary slightly from one another due to production considerations, artistic choices, or changes over time. The fact that your sword doesn't exactly match the traditional design from the movie could be due to a variety of reasons, including different production runs, custom modifications, or limited edition versions.

The information you've gathered about it being potentially an original vintage Marto Toledo model (such as the Marto Model 635) does suggest that it might be a collectible piece. Marto has a long history of producing decorative and functional swords, and their designs have varied over the years. If your sword is from the 1960s to 1980s and it's well-made and unique, it could indeed be a valuable and sought-after piece among collectors."

Still haven't seen any definitive evidence that the Highlander sword had anything to do with "You only live Twice (1964)".
Plenty of sites repeat it because they read it somewhere. Which is where AI searches derive all of their information.
I've already submitted a number of corrections on various subjects the Chatgpt.
Still waiting for anyone to post some evidence.

Still haven't seen any definitive evidence that the Highlander sword had anything to do with "You only live Twice (1964)".
Plenty of sites repeat it because they read it somewhere. Which is where AI searches derive all of their information.
I've already submitted a number of corrections on various subjects the Chatgpt.
Still waiting for anyone to post some evidence.
idk if it did. All I know is that when it was brought up in discussion it led me to find the model that was posted as up for auction which was sold as a genuine sword that was intended to be used in the movie. So before I knew about the movie listing I was unable to find the sword, but upon finding out about the Bond movie I used the specs and the reference which led to me finding the auction listing. There does seem to be some truth to it because why would both swords look the same but have no verifiable model number? It really does look like the same thing so it was an original I'd like to know why there would be an identical version of the same sword. The one posted on propstore looks like it was brand new whereas the one I have does look it was dragged from the 1960s. At least there has to be a verifiable model number.

The AI logic I posted seems to just be fabricating stuff based on my text. Without including my research the AI says 635 is a rapier and not a katana. It also doesn't know what the sword or model is without my input. Since the sword that went up on auction is the same it makes sense that they are at least the same or similar model number. The user who had told me about the rapier being a worthless 635 model has since disappeared and deleted his messages. Propstore won't answer questions as they are not interested, and the sword designer Marto haven't responded to emails.

Without any input from myself bard, chatgpt and bingchat say 635 is a rapier and not a katana and they have no knowledge of the model 635 outside of of that. They are prone to extreme hallucinations anyway and if you don't know much outside the subject matter you ask them they tend to just fabricate convincing nonsense.

Last edited:
idk if it did. All I know is that when it was brought up in discussion it led me to find the model that was posted as up for auction which was sold as a genuine sword that was intended to be used in the movie. So before I knew about the movie listing I was unable to find the sword, but upon finding out about the Bond movie I used the specs and the reference which led to me finding the auction listing. There does seem to be some truth to it because why would both swords look the same but have no verifiable model number? It really does look like the same thing so it was an original I'd like to know why there would be an identical version of the same sword. The one posted on propstore looks like it was brand new whereas the one I have does look it was dragged from the 1960s. At least there has to be a verifiable model number.

The AI logic I posted seems to just be fabricating stuff based on my text. Without including my research the AI says 635 is a rapier and not a katana. It also doesn't know what the sword or model is without my input. Since the sword that went up on auction is the same it makes sense that they are at least the same or similar model number. The user who had told me about the rapier being a worthless 635 model has since disappeared and deleted his messages. Propstore won't answer questions as they are not interested, and the sword designer Marto haven't responded to emails.

Without any input from myself bard, chatgpt and bingchat say 635 is a rapier and not a katana and they have no knowledge of the model 635 outside of of that. They are prone to extreme hallucinations anyway and if you don't know much outside the subject matter you ask them they tend to just fabricate convincing nonsense.
No sword that even remotely resembles the Marto sword appears in the movie. Searching around I found one site that claimed that there was a Marto sword that was "planned to be used in the movie but never used". But nothing further to substantiate it. Nothing about it appears on the Marto site itself.
As I said, I'm still waiting to see some definitive proof. Until then, I will remain skeptical.

ma
No sword that even remotely resembles the Marto sword appears in the movie. Searching around I found one site that claimed that there was a Marto sword that was "planned to be used in the movie but never used". But nothing further to substantiate it. Nothing about it appears on the Marto site itself.
As I said, I'm still waiting to see some definitive proof. Until then, I will remain skeptical.
Maybe I didn't post it here but here is a link to an auction on a pretty identical sword https://ukm.propstoreauction.com/lot-details/index/catalog/299/lot/80883?url=/auctions/catalog/id/299?page=13&cat=2774%2C3919%2C3921
It is a similar sword, listed as intended for use in a bond movie, and I wouldn't have found it without being informed that info.

Someone mentioned there was a sword matching that description which was intended to be used in you only live twice but was removed and later used as a reference for the dragon head Katana. No one said it was actually used in either film. The sword resembles the sword that I have and I wouldn't have been able to find a matching model without that info. I can't find what model number the sword on auction is. At the very least if they are not the same sword, or one is a copy of the other, they must share a similar model number.

No one said it was actually used in either film.
Yes but some sites are saying it was originally intended to be used in the 007 movie. This is what I do not believe, unless some evidence exists to support it.
I have followed up on sites pertaining to the Movie itself and it's production. No mention of any Marto sword.

Yes but some sites are saying it was originally intended to be used in the 007 movie. This is what I do not believe, unless some evidence exists to support it.
I have followed up on sites pertaining to the Movie itself and it's production. No mention of any Marto sword.
that's what I was saying though. The only way I found a matching sword was by following that info and I found the auction listing. idk if it was actually in the movie but the fact that both swords look the same is at least a lead. Preferably I'd rather Marto responded but their customer service doesn't seem to be up to scratch.

I really don't know the background on it and I'm just following leads. So the info about it being used in You Only Live Twice led me to a similar sword and there seems to be some relevance to it.

It was not in the 007 movie. No fantasy swords were used.
That the dragon head sword had been planned to be used in the movie is an allegation, with so far, no substantiation.
That's all. Please enjoy your fantasy sword.

It was not in the 007 movie. No fantasy swords were used.
That the dragon head sword had been planned to be used in the movie is an allegation, with so far, no substantiation.
That's all. Please enjoy your fantasy sword.
then what is the auction listing and why is there no verifiable model number?

are we to believe the sword sold for 6000 based on an unverified rumour?

Last edited:
would anyone be familiar with the model type of the sword which is on auction here: https://ukm.propstoreauction.com/lot-details/index/catalog/299/lot/80883?url=/auctions/catalog/id/299?page=13&cat=2774%2C3919%2C3921

If they are are not the same sword they are clearly the same or a related model.

And are there any reliable appraisal sites to use? The antique based ones won't look at it because it's not necessarily antique. Marto's actual contact line appears to be only about items you purchased from the site.

then what is the auction listing and why is there no verifiable model number?

are we to believe the sword sold for 6000 based on an unverified rumour?
as someone who used to deal in these sorts of things, yes. Auction houses are never to be believed without attached provenance. Most small auction houses will say anything to potentially increase the draw.

Back