Wanna buy a heat treat oven???

Tough titty said the kitty when the milk went dry!
I called every knife supplier today and none of em, yup I said none of em, have one single heat treat oven available for atleast a month. Can you believe that?? I sure can't. I mean it's not like a $5 tool or something, it's a $1000 sale they're blowing. Sheesh!
mad.gif

------------------
Take care!! Michael
jesus.jpg

Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!
http://www.nebsnow.com/L6steel
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms!!!

[This message has been edited by L6STEEL (edited 04-05-2001).]

Call youe local ceramics supply places-many of them sell Paragons. Unfortunately, $1000+ items are rarely stocked in todays "just in time" world.

RJ

http://www.seattlepotterysupply.com/
I found these folks online. They build the kilns right there in the shop and have a week turn around. The kiln I ordered is model 109f. It's a front loader with digital control and reaches 2250f.

------------------
Take care!! Michael
jesus.jpg

Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!

Michael, thanks for the information. They look well made and prices seem good. Please let us know how you like it once you have used it a few times.

Mike: How "programmable" is the cycle and what accuracy to they guarantee on the temperature?

RJ

Michael,
The way it works is that most of the supply houses have certain items listed in their catalogs that are drop shipped from "their" suppliers. I don't know of too many of the knife supply houses that actually stock ovens or grinders. One exception to this may be Tru-Grit's relationship with Hard-Core but on that I am not even sure.

In other words, if its in their catalog it doesn't mean they necessarily stock it on the premises but have such a relationship with the supplier that it is "essentially" the same thing. Remember these are "high ticket" items and the cost up front to do such a thing is cost prohibitive. The industrial tool suppliers such as Grainger’s, MSC, J&L, etc. do the same thing in a lot of instances.

What the knife supply houses do and do very well is to get the materials and supplies needed to make a knife or knife kit. The machinery aspect of it is a sideline and they really don't make much of a profit at all from that end of the business.

C Wilkins

I just went though you problem it seems that Paragon only sells the km series directly from them selves, However I ran across a brand called SKUTT made in oregan usa and it seems to be a better bang for the buck. Most pottery places sell it and they seem to have anmple stock at the time.. I did end up with a KM14d from paragon and delivery to Canada was 4 days via fed-ex

thor

Don't you dare get rid of that Ogg oven MIke. If you do, I want it back. I'll come an get it. I mean it.

Wouldn't even consider it Max!!! I'll get it in the mail asap.

------------------
Take care!! Michael
jesus.jpg

Ah, disregaurd that last statement Mike. I guess I'm just a sentimental old fool and hoped it would work out for your folder making like it did for Bob. I'm sorry it hasn't panned out for you. Don't send it through the mail Mike. It would be reduced to a pile of rubble. Just keep it. Some day, you'll be glad you did.

I didn't mean to sound snappy. I was just frantic to catch you before you did sell it. If you really don't need it, I'll come pick it up next time I visit with Dad. That way, I can visit with you some more. I really had a great time and can't wait to get back down there. I'll have some trade goods with me. You know how I love to trade
smile.gif

Back