Watch out twigs and thick grass!

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This one is for... ummm, smaller tasks.

I finished this one up about a month ago for the "Mini Knife in the hat." or mini KITH. Some of us over in Shoptalk decided to make mini knives then exchange them for fun and this is my entry.

It is a 1:4 scale chopper. The original is about a foot long, .250" thick, and has 1/4" tubes. This one is about 3" long, 1/16" thick and has 1/16" tubes.

It is made of differentially hardened O1 Steel; the spine and handle are slightly softer. The pins are aluminum and the sheath is concealex that I ground down thin so it is close to scale.

I made the scale material, burlap mycarta. I tried to make the mycarta glow in the dark and it has a very faint glow.

078j.jpg

064ra.jpg

066mr.jpg

061si.jpg

hah, that's very cool! do you have in-hand pictures?
it must be really weird holding it with three (two?) fingers, or is it functional, too?

you need to make those chopper minis as keychains... serious I'll buy one :) GITD or MCAM mini chopper keychain.. sounds good. go!

you need to make those chopper minis as keychains... serious I'll buy one :) GITD or MCAM mini chopper keychain.. sounds good. go!

I wanted to keep it as a keychain, it is the right size for one. I might make some more!

hah, that's very cool! do you have in-hand pictures?
it must be really weird holding it with three (two?) fingers, or is it functional, too?

It is pretty functional, works good for small tasks. :D

miniht003.jpg

In hand shot!

Acid etch time...
017jwc.jpg

Don't drink this shot!

Back