What are your goals as a knifemaker?

I am not trying to run a business and I keep most of my knives. Thus my goal is to slow down and not fill my shelves with mediocre knives. I think the most important thing is design. I should take more time on the complete concept before starting. I'm guilty right now of winging it on the guard and handle after completing a blade. I also want to be able to execute the design to increasing standards. For me the answer isn't buying lasers, or mills, or surface grinders, it's taking my time and making sure each part is right.

I am not trying to run a business and I keep most of my knives. Thus my goal is to slow down and not fill my shelves with mediocre knives. I think the most important thing is design. I should take more time on the complete concept before starting. I'm guilty right now of winging it on the guard and handle after completing a blade. I also want to be able to execute the design to increasing standards. For me the answer isn't buying lasers, or mills, or surface grinders, it's taking my time and making sure each part is right.
if you ever want or need a brain to bounce design ideas off of, don't hesitate to drop me a line bud!

My wife asked me the other day when I was gonna retire from knifemaking, now that we are retired ranchers (Ranchers Emeritus as a friend says). I told her when I can't push my grinding bench (with the four grinders on it) back up the incline into the shop. I do all my grinding outside on a concrete pad in front of the shop. Outside of that keep on keeping on. Maybe another IPA this evening, tend to keep it simple.

I'll be happy if every knife I make, is at least a little bit better than the previous. And if it ever gets to the point that I "have to" make a knife, rather than "want to" make a knife......then I'll be done with it. For now, it's so new, and there's so much to learn, that I'm having a ball doing it.

Back