Recommendation? What did I make/what should I call it?

scarysamcary

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I have been playing with making longer blades, including a couple of swords. I made one inspired by David Mary David Mary , I made a weird fantasy one inspired by eastern curves, and I made this one. The issue is, I don't really know what to call this one.

WoFdLED.jpg

OAL = 26" with a 1/8th inch spine

I just let this one create itself, without any real thought other than "I want it between 24 and 30 inches". At it's length, it could be considered a guardless messer/falchion/hanger or a simple hunting sword, but those are historical designations and this is far from a proper reproduction. I have also seen similar blades sold as American Wakizashis, but that name doesn't seem right for this for some reason (maybe the handle is too different). It's not really extreme enough for a crazy name like "Zombie Slasher" or "Blood Seeker" and to be honest, some choices make no sense (check out the weird inlet at the base of the blade that's big enough to catch your eye, but not an opponent's blade).

So what would you call it?

Thanks for the shout out Sam. Hmmm, it looks like a beefy Latin machete to me. If I may ask, what is the rationale behind the elongated guard?

Thanks for the shout out Sam. Hmmm, it looks like a beefy Latin machete to me. If I may ask, what is the rationale behind the elongated guard?
no rationale was used, though I remember making room for a Jitte-like parrying hook, but that turned into the small aesthetic nonsense you see at the base.

Cutacha, messer, ham slicer, great for pizza, tossed pizza boxes and water bottles, mats and tubes.
I was trying to describe how it handles to someone and I could remember handling antique south american swords, but I couldn't remember what they were called. I would say the closest thing I could describe this as is a rural Cutacha with a nonsense fantasy guard.

I may reshape the guard a little bit, even though it might risk damaging other things I'm happy with. I could probably get away with bringing it to something like this (knife I sold at the beginning of the year)
UotnuJy.jpg

I have been playing with making longer blades, including a couple of swords. I made one inspired by David Mary David Mary , I made a weird fantasy one inspired by eastern curves, and I made this one. The issue is, I don't really know what to call this one.

WoFdLED.jpg

OAL = 26" with a 1/8th inch spine

I just let this one create itself, without any real thought other than "I want it between 24 and 30 inches". At it's length, it could be considered a guardless messer/falchion/hanger or a simple hunting sword, but those are historical designations and this is far from a proper reproduction. I have also seen similar blades sold as American Wakizashis, but that name doesn't seem right for this for some reason (maybe the handle is too different). It's not really extreme enough for a crazy name like "Zombie Slasher" or "Blood Seeker" and to be honest, some choices make no sense (check out the weird inlet at the base of the blade that's big enough to catch your eye, but not an opponent's blade).

So what would you call it?
I'd call it :" Extra Well-Guarded " ! ;)

Back