What qualifies here?

I have a few non-traditional designs in folders (like any one-hander), and fixed blades like the Busse SHII or a Livesay Air Assault. But most of my day-to-day users in the fixed blade category are ordinary utility and/or hunting style knives, most of them low-end customs.

So what qualifies here? Are Micarta handles acceptable? How about kydex sheaths for otherwise traditional utility knives like those from Bob Dozier? My Buck 110 isn't a one-hander, but it does lock. Does it count? There are lots of "tradional designs" as far as blade shape goes that are done up in non-traditional materials or have non-traditional touches - like locks!

I'm not trying to start a fight, just to find out if I belong over here or not.

My opinion is that traditional refers to knives like your grandfather would carry (or at least what mine carry). No micarta, g10, kydex, or locks other than lockbacks on those knives.

Just my view of "traditional"...

Of course, this doesn't affect whether or not you belong since all are welcome :D

Chris

My guess is that a traditional knife is the kind of knife that one can find in a pocket knife collectors guide book like the Levine's. In other words, traditional pocket knife patterns like pens, trappers, stockman, folding hunters, etc. and fixed blades like skinners and bowies. I don't see why handle material should make a difference, synthetic handles on pocket knives are more than 100 years old. I just saw some antique synthetic handles at a knife show the week before last. Finally, lockblades are a very old design. Have you ever seen a folding Bowie? They are all at least 120 years old and almost all of them I have ever seen have locked. Also don't forget all the old Remington, Winchester, and Case lockback hunters from the 1920's and 1930's.

Thanks Anthony, for clearing that up. I feel better now.
I don't carry tactical knives, but I do carry/use lockbacks. I was starting to think I had fallen through the cracks again.:D

I you were unable to discuss knives that had synthetic handles you would be eliminating a large percentage of tradionals made in the last 25 years. Most pocketknives even use synthetic bone today. Celluloid has be an accepted material for handles for a very long time.

I think we can all use common sense when it comes to what constitutes a traditional knife. For those new to the genres please feel free to ask. Never think that a question is to stupid to ask. There are no such thing as stupid questions and without asking, you will never know the answer.

hmmm... someone mentoined on another thread that this isn't about tactical folder/knives... and I find that a decent enough definition... after all I'm not too into tactical knives myself...

personally, I like to think that this forum's definition of traditional knives could include folder that fall into the category of gentleman's folders. Or is that too much of a stretch?

I mean, think abt it... if we're defining it according to what our grandfather might've carried... well, I don't think my granddad carried a pocketknife so he could use it in self-defence, or cut his way out of the car, slash a seat belt or take down a terrorist. He carried it for convenience... and I always saw my grandfather (God bless his soul) as a gentleman. He was a blue collar kind of guy... but I remember my grandfather as... well... mellow... nice... and gentle.

His knife was always a convenient tool for him... whisked out to whittle a bit of wood for me... or trim something in the garden, that sort of thing. I like to think that that's ONE of the sort of mood and spirit we're talking about when we refer to traditional knives (apart from the literal meaning where many of you will be discussing about frontier style bowies and all...).

So I guess, all I'm asking is it's ok to mention knives that have fallen into, or been classified by the manufacturer, as gentleman's folders here. Knives like William Henry folders... my EDC, an SOG Winder II... or even some Al Mar's, Moki's or whatever... basic designs which are admired and used, not so much for their aggressive design or cutting edge locking system... but knives that which appeal because of their inherent simplicity.

So is it safe for my Winder II to come out and play here or do I have to be a lurker on the 'tactical' forums? :)

Back