What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Got two blades ready pre-HT and working on a third that will be my KITH entry if I get it ready in time.
After that some non knife related "have to do" tasks around the house.
And after that I want to make the jump from rough grinding and claening up with files to grinding the bevels and only hand sand as a finish.
I got a bubblejig and have a 2x42 so I'll invest some time in grinding mild steel just to learn.
(I hate my grinder at the moment, but something tells me we could become friends)

P1011753.JPG

Last edited:
Where's everybody's dirt?
Those shops are WAY too clean!

Of course you would say that Bill, I am still undergoing therapy after seeing pics of your workbenches. :p ;)

Good stuff guys! :thumbup:

Shop upgrades mostly myself recently as you may have seen on other threads:

But it's mostly done now and I am back to making knives. :D

There are always 1,000 things going on in my shop, but these have the bulk of my attention right now. :)

From left- 1.) Another little O1 paring knife with Koa and black G10 liner/spacers. 2.) A commission from long time friend and customer- it's a big sweeping fighting bowie forged from W2 (this is the third attempt :eek:). 3.) Giant 52100 fighting bowie (just a touch under 11" blade!). 4.) Extra small, small wheel for the KMG. 5.) Big 52100 camp knife. 6.) Sketched pattern for a combat version of my concealed carry bowie. :)

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is full of win. It's why I love shoptalk! Good work y'all. Please post pics of how that W pattern turns out, Mason...

Will, that's a beauty--- really looking forward to seeing the finished knife! :cool: :)

BTW- I forgot to describe anything like was asked :foot: so I will go back and edit my first post.

just finished up a chefs knife. Planning a move so my garage/work area is torn down a bit. Sorry for the crap photos
286229_10151927840894708_216503907_o.jpg
1146901_10151927840764708_1323750394_o.jpg

1150449_10151927840964708_391716754_o.jpg
1265667_10151927840824708_244757394_o.jpg

Lots of great photos in here!

Couple of weeks ago I spent some time making myself a jig for doing my knife bevels on the grinder:

1Qm6LFMl.jpg

It clamps the tang in between the two plates, and then the angle is precisely adjustable via the knob at the rear.

Sunday evening I got the first blade off the grinder that I'm happy with:

l38vNvNl.jpg

To be fair it is also the first blade I've attempted on the grinder that I really cared about getting perfect, as the other 11 or so were just bound for destruction as part of my testing.

It's good to be back making knives that will see real use rather than getting broken for tests!

Will, I think that fighter is gonna be a real looker when it's done.

Nick, what are the bearings doing on the bench?

I know, right?

That looks suspiciously like an ultra small diameter contact roller for a quick change arm. :)

Really enjoying this thread, 'cuz shop pictures are some of my most favorite-est! :)

FTO- That surface grinder restoration is awesome, it looks fantastic!

Follow up:

The giant 52100 bowie/fighter won out the ADD focus challenge ;) LMAO. In my first post, the blade was heat treated and had a few licks against a 120X disc. Fast forward to this photo--- it had been completely finish ground all the way around, and I was doing hand finish work-

medium800.jpg

Here's the result of the hand finishing. It's what I call a "dirty" finish, because it's all at one grit, but not quite as uniform as it can be (or at least as I can get, LOL).

medium800.jpg

It has some contrasting finishes (on purpose ;))... The main bevel is 320X, the clip is 800X, and the spine/choil have been rounded and mirror polished.

medium800.jpg

Those bearings? You guys didn't like my description very much eh? :p I'll start calling you guys dzvwhatever his name is HaHa! j/k ;) :)

The bearing are for a very small--- small wheel for the KMG- If you happen to notice the finish looks a little different on the left side, that's because the first time I fired up the grinder with this, I didn't realize the belt was hitting 2 stand-off screws on the bottom of the small wheel attachment. The screws forced the belt to wrap inside and abrade the left side of the wheel.

medium800.jpg

I don't have super high hopes for this, because a contact wheel really needs to have some type of coating to grind smooth, quiet, and give the best finish. But this is it anyway-

medium800.jpg

Just for kicks, here's a big, fat FAIL that has to be redone. I was trying to build a recessed disc on the cheap. I made the silly mistake :eek: of using two layers of 3/4" plywood for the bulk of the disc. Even though the disc was faced and bored in the same set up with single-point tools, the funky layers and holes in the plywood make this thing run like a rock tumbler. Grrrrr... Oh well, back to the start on that one! LOL

edited to add*** Yes, there's a steel hub on the back of the disc. I didn't just drill a hole in the wood and shove it on the motor shaft. ;)

medium800.jpg

Last edited:
Man you guys are busy in the morning :) I am currently at work. Knife making is still just a hobby for me... how I can't wait for it to become my daily profession!!

MedartCutlery

Last edited by a moderator:
Still putting the final touches on my first batch and getting a batch of oil hardening kitchen blades ready for heat treat

954683_178625218991994_1292408582_n.jpg602895_178625085658674_1627861043_n.jpg

Back