What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Are you 3D printing metals?

We've been 3D printing plastic prototypes. I consider a 3D printer to be a requirement in our shop.

Chuck
Hi Chuck! I've been hoarding your Timascus for upcoming projects.

No metals but that would be cool! It's just PLA. Prusa MK4.

I have printed some mixed media with metals like bronze that you can polish, blast, mild patina etc. Nothing special though... I just designed some bracelets I am going to sand cast from 3d prints.

I had a quote done on 3D printing in sintered Titanium, it is within reason for some projects.

Good to hear on the printer, they are a must have in my opinion. I paid my machines off with one day of sales from them too.

Does the partial tang really save that much weight? Micarta isn't exactly light and my brain keeps telling me the weight savings/change in balance would be negligible on a thinner stock knife like that.

Your work has gotten extremely clean btw.
Saves a little weight and pushes balance point more towards blade but the big reason I started using partial tangs was to get more blanks out of a piece of steel.

I find partial tangs to be more of a pain for myself to grind as I free hand and there just is not much to hold onto and I am plenty happy with full length tapered tangs but when I can get 3 partial tangs or one full tang I will choose partial.

Saves a little weight and pushes balance point more towards blade but the big reason I started using partial tangs was to get more blanks out of a piece of steel.

I find partial tangs to be more of a pain for myself to grind as I free hand and there just is not much to hold onto and I am plenty happy with full length tapered tangs but when I can get 3 partial tangs or one full tang I will choose partial.

I hadn't considered the actual steel savings. Makes total sense.

8BXvfqd.jpg

should all be ready to ship around this weekend!

Clever touch with that retention positive handle shape by the ricasso, I bet they click into those waxed sheaths like kydex.
these don't fire the knife out quite like kydex does, which is slipperier stuff. They do hold the knife very securely, and seem to work better the more they're worn and used. The leather I used for these was pretty expensive and quite stiff, so they take some break in time, but the difference in lifespan compared to cheaper cuts is pretty stark.

No pics but dang near stepped on a baby rattlesnake yesterday afternoon. He was slithering across the floor right in the middle of the shop and I happened to look down as I was walking across and jumped over him. My wife was just heading inside and she tossed me a broom. He'd slithered under the Big Cobra 4 sewing machine and I was able to push him out with the broom. Got him to the center of the floor and then was able to hockey stick him with the broom and he slid clear out the shop and down the concrete drive to the gravel. I faced up to him struck the broom down onto the concrete and shouted: "The way is shut! You shall not pass!" No I didn't but it sounds cool now.

No pics but dang near stepped on a baby rattlesnake yesterday afternoon. He was slithering across the floor right in the middle of the shop and I happened to look down as I was walking across and jumped over him. My wife was just heading inside and she tossed me a broom. He'd slithered under the Big Cobra 4 sewing machine and I was able to push him out with the broom. Got him to the center of the floor and then was able to hockey stick him with the broom and he slid clear out the shop and down the concrete drive to the gravel. I faced up to him struck the broom down onto the concrete and shouted: "The way is shut! You shall not pass!" No I didn't but it sounds cool now.

You should have said, "QeHqu'law' ghaH. bIbelbe'law'"

Back