What's that you're eating?

Forgot the soup.

hsJj3tD.jpeg

The wife had her rebuilt jaw drilled for an implant a few weeks ago. Lots of soft foods and crockpot meals lately. Did a turkey breast in the crock pot two days ago and it was interesting. Old stale baguette with beef roast this evening. Lots of leftover rice means sweet rice for breakfasts.

Just had a Kitchenaid double gas oven installed, and their side-by-side refrigerator. Only played with them a little but really like them so far.

Chinese-style Boiled Pig Tails with Blackeye Peas, Steamed Rice & Steamed Corn on the Cob.

lpGmXjJ.jpg

My mother served this dish when I was a child but I've never seen it in any of the many Chinese cookbooks that I've collected.

All of the other recipes involve cooking the pig tails in some gooey or heavily seasoned sauce and are quite unlike this one, where the pig tails are just boiled to tender, unctuous , fatty/meaty falling off the bone pieces that just melt in your mouth.

As with other rice & bean dishes, you just mix up the beans & rice and add a bit of meat/fat for each bite. It's delicious!!!

The only thing that makes this dish "Chinese" is the adding of dried red plums (which provides a uniquely Chinese flavor) to the dish. Otherwise, it wouldn't be much different than any dish made with collared greens & black eye peas that you could find in the South.

It can be hard to find a meat market that sells pig tails but I have my sources. My local Filipino market was selling it at 99 cents/# for awhile, which is really all that it's worth, but recently raised the price over 3x to $3.27. :mad:

Greedy MFers but a little bit goes a long way & I just have to make me some every now & then.

Last edited:
Back