When is it reasonable to be cranky over SPA treatment?

I hate to post this but I am done with Buck’s spa treatment. I just received another 6 knives back today and two of the 110 4 dot finger grooves look like they were sharpened on a grinder wheel. Way too much blade taken off. I don’t know who’s doing the sharpening but they need supervision and retraining IMO.
And another that I noted about the spring being weak and wouldn’t stay closed all the way, well it’s still in the same condition. And I believe these went to the repair shop because that is what I was told a couple weeks ago when I called. One of the 112’s had a bolster pin sticking out, this one was fixed.
Can you please send me some pictures of the knives that you received back from us? msmit@buckknives.com

That's why I think it's best to obtain the skills and methods required to sharpen ones own knives.

It takes time and patience, but I've grown to rather enjoy it.

And again if I receive a knife that isn't right I return it.
It's over and done with.
Order another if you want, but I believe a new knife should be right from the start.

Old knives that need attention, well then I guess that's where the spa service comes in.

But I question the importance of calling out the quality of someone's work publicly.
In private maybe.
Publicly, No.

That's not cool.
✌️

Keep in mind that it's a "service" that your really not even paying for.

Old knives that need attention, well then I guess that's where the spa service comes in.

But I question the importance of calling out the quality of someone's work publicly.
In private maybe.
Publicly, No.

That's not cool.
✌️

I disagree.

Call it what you want, the "service" is still being paid for (I don't know what the actual cost is, as I've never sent in a knife for spa treatment). Because there is a cost, I would expect Buck would employ and train people who know how to sharpen an edge. Without pictures, it is hard to say how bad the sharpening is, but it was bad enough to be posted here.

Personally, I am thankful that on a knife forum bad service/work is called out publicly. I'm just as thankful for when the service work is great and just as publicly announced. From my short time here, I have seen/read that the Buck spa service does great work and sometimes poor work. It's nice to know and hopefully will help Buck to improve.

My own personal experience with Warranty work has been 50/50. Having to send the knife in 2 times to fix an issue / problem which in my opinion should never have left the factory in the first place. And don't get me started on $150-$200 BOTM knives that arrive filthy.

That's why I think it's best to obtain the skills and methods required to sharpen ones own knives.

It's over and done with.
Order another if you want, but I believe a new knife should be right from the start.

In private maybe.
Publicly, No.

That's not cool.
✌️

Should be called out. It's incentive to improve.

What your paying is essentially postage.
Buck is providing the service free of charge otherwise.

If your unhappy with it, of course you have the right to call it out publicly if you so choose.

I just feel it can be done without singling out an individual.
Folks in charge can handle it from there as they are quite aware who is responsible.

I'd be Interested to find out how many knives Buck's Spa Service sharpens daily considering the spa service often has a long wait time.

The only person that never makes a mistake is the individual that doesn't do anything.

Last edited:
I also believe that if an exceptional or outstanding service is provided than that also should be openly complimented...

Only someone with something to hide wants to remain in the shadows.

It's over and done with.

In private maybe.
Publicly, No.

That's not cool.
✌️

I understand the point of view, but I can't disagree more.

Your post, and several others, seem to imply that I'm not capable of cleaning and sharpening a knife. Not true, not by a long shot. Buck provides this service, and I trust Buck to do the best job on a knife that they produced in the first place. The price is certainly right. But a bad job is a bad job. My guess is that they offer the SPA service as an extension of their commitment to the people that buy their knives: The Forever Warranty.

The idea that I'm really not paying for a service is baffling. They offer this service, they set the price. They must be concerned that their own work doesn't negatively impact their own reputation, and that they don't annoy their customers. We're people who buy more knives in a month than most normal people buy in a lifetime. We like the product, recommend the product, use the product.

I didn't 'call out' the quality of someone's work publicly. I asked if I had a reasonable basis for not being satisfied. In my view Buck makes superior knives. Sharpening and polishing a knife that only needed a touch-up should have been a slam dunk. They offer the service, they didn't solicit my project, they should know (and care) to do a credible job on a knife that has been sent to them for work that is routine.

I've always been stuck in the middle of a dilemma: Nobody takes care of your stuff like you do. But, I also try my best not to ruin someone else's stuff. Loss of trust is very hard to fix. I'd much rather turn somebody down than have to make a situation that I created right.

I've sent a dozen or more knives to Buck for SPA service, and have never had a problem. Well, this one has been a problem.

I've been a Buck collector for well over forty years. I've been a life member of BCCI for over thirty. I'm well aware of what Buck is capable of doing. What they did to this knife is not reasonable. I'm a little surprised that Buck seems to be ignoring my concerns. And being cool has never really been a concern of mine.

I wish I wouldn't have procrastinated for so long and would have sent a handful of knives in for SPA/warranty/reblade before Danny retired. A few of them are older sentimental family knives that I was hoping to get the era-specific edge.

I understand the point of view, but I can't disagree more.

Your post, and several others, seem to imply that I'm not capable of cleaning and sharpening a knife. Not true, not by a long shot. Buck provides this service, and I trust Buck to do the best job on a knife that they produced in the first place. The price is certainly right. But a bad job is a bad job. My guess is that they offer the SPA service as an extension of their commitment to the people that buy their knives: The Forever Warranty.

The idea that I'm really not paying for a service is baffling. They offer this service, they set the price. They must be concerned that their own work doesn't negatively impact their own reputation, and that they don't annoy their customers. We're people who buy more knives in a month than most normal people buy in a lifetime. We like the product, recommend the product, use the product.

I didn't 'call out' the quality of someone's work publicly. I asked if I had a reasonable basis for not being satisfied. In my view Buck makes superior knives. Sharpening and polishing a knife that only needed a touch-up should have been a slam dunk. They offer the service, they didn't solicit my project, they should know (and care) to do a credible job on a knife that has been sent to them for work that is routine.

I've always been stuck in the middle of a dilemma: Nobody takes care of your stuff like you do. But, I also try my best not to ruin someone else's stuff. Loss of trust is very hard to fix. I'd much rather turn somebody down than have to make a situation that I created right.

I've sent a dozen or more knives to Buck for SPA service, and have never had a problem. Well, this one has been a problem.

I've been a Buck collector for well over forty years. I've been a life member of BCCI for over thirty. I'm well aware of what Buck is capable of doing. What they did to this knife is not reasonable. I'm a little surprised that Buck seems to be ignoring my concerns. And being cool has never really been a concern of mine.
And not a single comment I made was directed to you.

I was referring to another post and I failed to quote it.

I received some knives from the warranty department the other day and they did an amazing job on them. Check out my post titled Buck Warranty to see the pics. I sent one in a 110 for a reblade and the whole knife looked brand new. I also sent in a 605 and that came back looking brand new. Whoever the person was that worked on this order needs some serious recognition. They knocked it out of the park. I'm going to shoot them an email thanking them for the exceptional job that was done.

What your paying is essentially postage.
Buck is providing the service free of charge otherwise.

If your unhappy with it, of course you have the right to call it out publicly if you so choose.

I just feel it can be done without singling out an individual.
Folks in charge can handle it from there as they are quite aware who is responsible.

I'd be Interested to find out how many knives Buck's Spa Service sharpens daily considering the spa service often has a long wait time.

The only person that never makes a mistake is the individual that doesn't do anything.
You keep trying to justify a poor job by saying it’s free. It’s NOT free it is in the price that we pay when we buy the knives. Buck also could raise the price of the spa treatment if they want to. I have sent in 4-5 knives total at two different times and have been happy with all but one and it was like the originals post pictures, I won’t use the spa service anymore for knives I really care about I would be happier to pay a price that would get a better quality repair I would pay ## (not sure what Buck would need to justify the extra time) for a quality repair for some knives others I would not.

Back