Which Benchmade are you carrying today?

VLAyJkI.jpg

My brand new Mini Presidio!
I looked at a Bugout, nice blade shape, but it was too small and the handle was a bit flimsy.
I also looked at the full size Presidio, too big, and if you put tracks on it and paint it Desert Sand, you could call it an Abrams!
The Mini is the "Goldilocks" version, not too big or too small, but still built like a M1A1.
Love it!
LMFyJtmh.jpg

My brand new Mini Presidio!
I looked at a Bugout, nice blade shape, but it was too small and the handle was a bit flimsy.
I also looked at the full size Presidio, too big, and if you put tracks on it and paint it Desert Sand, you could call it an Abrams!
The Mini is the "Goldilocks" version, not too big or too small, but still built like a M1A1.
Love it!
LMFyJtmh.jpg
I have this exact knife in the mail! Looking forward to it. Great pic!

Gotta a quick question for you guys. I have a bugout first production run coming to me. Its 1209 of 1500. I’m debating on if it should be a user or should I keep it relatively new and unused as it currently is? Are first production runs collectible and worth more?

Gotta a quick question for you guys. I have a bugout first production run coming to me. Its 1209 of 1500. I’m debating on if it should be a user or should I keep it relatively new and unused as it currently is? Are first production runs collectible and worth more?

This is just my $0.02, so feel free to disagree. It won't cost me much.

I would 100% use that Bugout. I don't mind the first production run markings, but 1500 is a lot of knives and I'm not convinced the marking adds much value. On top of that, there's been a lot of Bugouts of the same configuration made since and there are going to be a lot more. If you're looking for specially marked versions of production Benchmades, I think the "Prototype" or "Production Prototype" or similarly marked knives are more valuable, especially when there was some difference in the prototype, or from early production to later production. Think an aluminum scaled, ATS-34 blade 710BT marked "Pre-Production xxx/500" when the bulk of 710 production was G10 scales and D2 blades.

Maybe when the Bugout is discontinued however many decades down the road that first production run will be a bump in value vs a similar condition one without the marking but I wouldn't bet on it.

And for a little more context on my position, please enjoy the below the "light user" one of 140 707-1202, featuring sharpening swirls on the blade and by some miracle no chips in the CF inserts yet, and the one of 200 525BK-1101 which has been all over the US and back and used as a prybar, hammer, and drywall knife along the way. I will gleefully sharpen, carry, and use Benchmades with much lower numbers on them than 1500. So again, $0.02/grain of salt. Use that Bugout!

MX0BOTt.jpg

HlDFNiz.jpg

I would 100% use that Bugout. I don't mind the first production run markings, but 1500 is a lot of knives and I'm not convinced the marking adds much value. On top of that, there's been a lot of Bugouts of the same configuration made since and there are going to be a lot more. If you're looking for specially marked versions of production Benchmades, I think the "Prototype" or "Production Prototype" or similarly marked knives are more valuable, especially when there was some difference in the prototype, or from early production to later production. Think an aluminum scaled, ATS-34 blade 710BT marked "Pre-Production xxx/500" when the bulk of 710 production was G10 scales and D2 blades.

Maybe when the Bugout is discontinued however many decades down the road that first production run will be a bump in value vs a similar condition one without the marking but I wouldn't bet on it.

And for a little more context on my position, please enjoy the below the "light user" one of 140 707-1202, featuring sharpening swirls on the blade and by some miracle no chips in the CF inserts yet, and the one of 200 525BK-1101 which has been all over the US and back and used as a prybar, hammer, and drywall knife along the way. I will gleefully sharpen, carry, and use Benchmades with much lower numbers on them than 1500. So again, $0.02/grain of salt. Use that Bugout!

MX0BOTt.jpg

HlDFNiz.jpg
Truth be told, that’s what I was hoping to hear. Don’t really like keeping safe queens and was hoping that wouldn’t be the case with this one. Definitely gonna carry and use.

Thanks
Mitch

MX0BOTt.jpg

HlDFNiz.jpg

I love that blue 707! A bit jealous. :) Also great to see a well used mini Presidio. Just got my first, the cf elite version, but haven't put it through anything yet. I'm pretty experienced with the mini and full size grips (LOVE the mini grip) but my first presidio. Looks like it's been a great companion and tool for you?

Back