Which Benchmade should I go with, thoughts?

I have large hands. I own Spyderco a PM2, 2 x Para 3 and a Manix 2 and a bunch of other non-Spydercos. I also have a Griptilian. The PM2 and particularly the Manix 2 and Griptilian are larger, not to mention my Cold Steel AD-15, yet my 2 Bugouts fit me well. I have the aluminum M390 (535BK-4), which I love and a former grigory Bugout which I changed out the scales to Flytanium titanium scales. I just love both of them and they work well in my large hands. They are not short just thin and not wide. I had some trouble with the M390 but fixed it (Link to my thread).
The Griptilian is larger and might suit you well, however, the plastic scales were off putting, to me. I switched them out to AWT aluminum scales and it's a completely different knife. The nasty clacking sound is gone. It sounds right and the action has improved. Well when it was open I polished the washers and the pivot area on the blade that contacts the washers. Put in 2 different grades of KPL oil and now it's absolutely incredible. I completely disassembled the Griptilian and putting it back together was a little tricky because of the way the omega springs are anchored. The Bugout was much easier.
I may have voided the warranty on 2 of my benchmades but other than cleaning out the factory oil the M390 Bugout (535BK-4) does not need any changes. The aluminum scales are fantastic

940 is nice, plenty of blade in a thin profile, but it's pretty thick behind the edge and will only get thicker with each sharpening. If you're looking for something that will slice well, anything else will do.

Back