Who smokes a pipe here?

You poor guy, does your misses make you keep all your pipes on the front step? Nice collection of pipes.

If you are needing to avoid being tobacco dependent then don't let this thread nudge you back into something that you may have worked hard to stop.

Well I have been lazy and still have not got a picture of my pipes. My two main smokers are a Savinelli (don't remember the name) and a Kriswill that looks just like this.

ru01.jpg

My favorite tobacco at the moment is Larry's Blend from Pipesandcigars.com. Such an amazing flavor and experience in my opinion.

Well I have been lazy and still have not got a picture of my pipes. My two main smokers are a Savinelli (don't remember the name) and a Kriswill that looks just like this.

View attachment 351039

My favorite tobacco at the moment is Larry's Blend from Pipesandcigars.com. Such an amazing flavor and experience in my opinion.

I like Larry's Blend too. Good stuff. I want to try Black House but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Have you tried Magnum Opus? It's real good too.

Nice pipes but I really like that old Colibri Firebird lighter. I had one just like it in the 70's but I can't for the life of me remember what happened to it. When I look at them now I always think they were made for lefties with the striker on that side but I'm right handed and I don't remember ever having a problem with it. Nice lighter!

View attachment 351039

I'm trying hard to like Larry's Blend. I'm also working on McClelland Legends. The latakia is taking some getting used to, but I'm trying.

Caminetto business with hand carved rusticated finish, pictured with Sardinian Resolza with horn handle.

8771478187_b2f0c615e0_c.jpg

Hand carved well smoked Turkish Meershaum with Turkish friction folder with goat horn handle.

8778091974_d8a52a76ee_c.jpg

Was kinda thinking about making one of the mountain man rondevous and was wondering how the old clay pipes smoked?

4620-403-010_250x250.jpg

Like was shown above. I guess they do alright? But a bit fragile?

Doc

They break in quickly: a thin layer of carbon forms inside the bowl. The bowl gets incredibly hot and burns any tobacco down to a fine, dry ash. Empty the bowl and clean the stem immediately; rotate several pipes, and you will have a sweet-smoking, inexpensive pipe collection. IMO they are better smoking than porcelain, cherry wood or corn cob.

Clay and meerschaum are the easiest pipes to break. You almost always break the stem, and long stems are for home use only.

You are interested in reenactment, so here is some history. The earliest image of a European smoking

587px-Chute_tobacco.JPG

in Anthony Chute's pamphlet Tabaco, (London, 1595), about how great tobacco is for your health — especially for your lungs!! Notice the forward rake of the bowl. Smokers were lighting up with burning embers from a fire, and the angled bowl helped them do it without igniting big hats and big hair. The bowl is small because tobacco was mostly a Spanish import and expensive.

tobacco_drinker_1623.jpg

Twenty-eight years later, tobacco was cheaper and pipe bowls were larger and more upright. Big hats and big hair were still in, but large pipe bowls work better upright and smokers wanted a nice long smoke.

cutty.jpg

Mid 19th century, tobacco was very cheap and pipe smoking was a worker's habit. This is a pipe for someone who smokes while working with his or her hands.

Gold Dunny with military mount... I'd bet that smokes as good as it looks! :thumbup:

This is my best of all my pipes! I bought it in Spain for a long time. Classic. Very well suited to the taste of tobacco, so the tube only for non-aromatic TOBACCOS.

I did a LONG time ago.

this got me inspired, so I went and ordered a Legend from the Missouri Meerschaum Co.
Have a little Hearth & Home Classic Burley Kake ordered as well as 3 in 1 tool.

Not a big investment, but I remembered I enjoyed it a lot when we were down at the ranch at hunting camp, or out fishing.
Looking forward to sitting out on the deck with the wife in the evenings after our daughter goes to bed. She enjoys smoking cigars with me (how cool is that), so this will be a nice addition.

I did a LONG time ago.

this got me inspired, so I went and ordered a Legend from the Missouri Meerschaum Co.

Not a big investment, but I remembered I enjoyed it a lot when we were down at the ranch at hunting camp, or out fishing.
Looking forward to sitting out on the deck with the wife in the evenings after our daughter goes to bed. She enjoys smoking cigars with me (how cool is that), so this will be a nice addition.

Where's the "Like" button? :thumbup:

*sigh*

so the collection has begun, I guess.

Picked up a small Meerschaum (block) pipe as well. Went with the small so I wasn't dropping a ton of $ on it, but now I have 2 and can rotate the cob out.

This is a BAD web forum.
convinced myself to keep a $500 knife and not sell it...
got back into smoking a pipe...
I'll be brewing my own beer and running a still before long at this rate :)

I did a LONG time ago.

Hard to go wrong with a cob, and some Burley Kake. That's how I got back into pipes after about 25 years off. But, just about anything would smoke better than the cheapo pipes I used to have. And for the record, I revisited my Larry's Blend that I had set back 6 months ago. I'm not in love with it (yet), but I can see a definite improvement with some aging.

*sigh*

so the collection has begun, I guess.

This is a BAD web forum.
convinced myself to keep a $500 knife and not sell it...
got back into smoking a pipe...
I'll be brewing my own beer and running a still before long at this rate :)

Knives, pipes, and liqueur. What more do you need in life?

No pics yet.

I've got 7 or so pipes. A couple of Dr Grabows that the drug store was closing out at $7 a piece. A churchwarden that I picked up not to long ago. Several "antique store rescues" that I picked up for $3 a piece. Kinda ugle but really nice smokers once cleaned up.

My favorite go-to tobacco is home mix of 1/2 and 1/2 bulk Burley and bulk Black Cavendish with some Latakia thrown in for flavor.

Like someone else said, Count Pulaski is a great blend. Haven't experimented much with the higher end stuff yet.

I use an Czeck tool most of the time but own a couple pipe nails. Flame is either matches or my Imco.

Back