Will the Origin Blade Maker (OBM) disk grinder base work with the Neilsen magnetic disks?

oceanrider

Basic Member
I just got an OBM disk grinder. I think they have designed the base as to be proprietary with their disk(s). :(

The hole in the plate is 2". Will the Neilsen disks hub fit through that 2" hole?

And there is only 3/4" between the work rest and that plate. How thick is the Neilsen disk with a magnetic plate installed?

1000009163.jpg

Last edited:
I had to grind away a bit of the work shelf, remove the spark guard (and IIRC something else, but I can't remember what) for it to work but yes, I have the nielsen discs and the OBM frame.

I had to grind away a bit of the work shelf, remove the spark guard (and IIRC something else, but I can't remember what) for it to work but yes, I have the nielsen discs and the OBM frame.
Thanks!

Can I ask how thick is the Nielsen disk with a plate and a low grit paper installed?

There is only 3/4" of space, probably slightly less. If I tilt the table the space is probably just under 5/8". I can do some grinding to it, but would just like to know beforehand how thick the disk with plate and low grit paper might be.

And yeah I don't mind removing the upper spark guard. I could even see modifying it so that it could be taken off and on by putting some slots in the tabs and permanent screws in that plate and just use wing nuts on the back side when you slide it off and on.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Can I ask how thick is the Nielsen disk with a plate and a low grit paper installed?
I'll try to remember to check when i get back to the shop next week, but you might get a quicker response if you ask them directly.

I'll try to remember to check when i get back to the shop next week, but you might get a quicker response if you ask them directly.
I just filled out the web form on his website asking šŸ‘šŸ¼

It takes a wee bit of effort and a small bit of space to pop a Nielsen disc loose. If that table doesn't pull out, you may have to take that shroud off.

It takes a wee bit of effort and a small bit of space to pop a Nielsen disc loose. If that table doesn't pull out, you may have to take that shroud off.
If loosened up, I can take the table off. I did find this on YT, but he does not say what modifications he might have needed to do to the disk grinder itself.

If loosened up, I can take the table off. I did find this on YT, but he does not say what modifications he might have needed to do to the disk grinder itself.

Preferably, you won't have to take the table off. I have found, though, that the magnets are so strong that if you don't have enough room, they'll just grab back out of your hand. It happened a little bit in that vid. I've wondered if something shaped like a wooden spatula and used as a "splitting wedge" may make this easier. That said, I am so arthritic and have lost so much strength it may just be me and it's not really so hard to change at all. LOL. It definitely is, though, VERY nice to be able to change grits just by popping that plate off and replacing it with another. I've had multiple disc sanders for 40+ years, and this Nielsen thang just broke me into a big smile when I got it.
I hope it can work out for you with the OBM if you so choose. Good luck choosing!

Back