Would I have a legal problem if I have a espada xl shipped to me in nyc ?

I think knifecenter would do it blade hq and midway won’t ship . I just plan to keep it at home as a collector and not walk around outside with it . I’m seeing different things all over the internet.

i dont see how...now if ya carried it or took out of your home....yeah potential big trouble from what I've seen and read about.....

i dont see how...now if ya carried it or took out of your home....yeah potential big trouble from what I've seen and read about.....
Yea I’ll definitely keep it home but everything I read online is confusing . I get I can’t walk around with it but my other fear is the police will intercept the package or some and I’ll catch a charge don’t know how likely that is though

I wouldn't worry about it, you won't catch a charge for buying a knife in NYC but yes you would catch a charge if you were walking around with it.

You can always plead the fifth if by some weird way the USPS or whoever shipped it "checked your package"

Knife is too big for the city, there's been a ban on large 4"+ lockbacks since the late 70's, early 80's. It came about because of folks carrying "007 knives" and German style folding bowies back then. I believe it's a misdemeanor. They are fine in the rest of the state.

Edit, here we go NYC Admin Code -

"10-134 Prohibition on sale of certain knives.

a. Legislative findings. It is hereby declared and found that the possession in public places, streets and parks of the city, of folding knives which lock upon opening, is a menace to the public health, peace, safety and welfare of the people of the city; that the possession in public places, streets and parks of such knives has resulted in the commission of many homicides, robberies, maimings and assaults of and upon the people of the city, that this condition encourages and fosters the commission of crimes, and contributes to juvenile delinquency, youth crime and gangsterism; that if this situation is not addressed, then there is a danger of an increase in crimes of violence, and other conditions detrimental to public peace, safety and welfare. It has been found that folding knives with a blade of four (4) inches or more that locks in an open position are designed and used almost exclusively for the purpose of stabbing or the threat thereof. Therefore for the safety of the city, such weapons should be prohibited from sale within the jurisdiction of the city of New York.

b. It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, or offer for sale within the jurisdiction of the city of New York, any folding knife with a blade length of four or more inches which is so constructed that when it is opened it is locked in an open position and cannot be closed without depressing or moving a release mechanism.

c. Exempt from this section are importers and exporters or merchants who ship or receive locking folding knives, with a blade length of four or more inches, in bulk, which knives are scheduled to travel or have travelled in the course of international, interstate, or intrastate commerce to a point outside the city. Such bulk shipments shall remain in their original shipping package, unopened, except for inspection and possible subdivision for further movement in interstate or intrastate commerce to a point outside the city.

d. Violation of this section shall be an offense punishable by a fine of not more than seven hundred fifty dollars ($750) or by imprisonment not exceeding fifteen days (15) or both such fine and imprisonment. Any person violating this section shall be subject to a civil penalty not to exceed one thousand dollars for each violation. "

https://codelibrary.amlegal.com/codes/newyorkcity/latest/NYCadmin/0-0-0-216693 .

Last edited:
Knife is too big for the city, there's been a ban on large 4"+ lockbacks since the late 70's, early 80's. It came about because of folks carrying "007 knives" and German style folding bowies back then. I believe it's a misdemeanor. They are fine in the rest of the state.
Damn

I wouldn't worry about it, you won't catch a charge for buying a knife in NYC but yes you would catch a charge if you were walking around with it.

You can always plead the fifth if by some weird way the USPS or whoever shipped it "checked your package"
Bet might order it but I bet knifecenter will cancel on me too

a. Legislative findings. It is hereby declared and found that the possession in public places, streets and parks of the city, of folding knives which lock upon opening, is a menace to the public health, peace, safety and welfare of the people of the city; that the possession in public places, streets and parks of such knives has resulted in the commission of many homicides, robberies, maimings and assaults of and upon the people of the city, that this condition encourages and fosters the commission of crimes, and contributes to juvenile delinquency, youth crime and gangsterism; that if this situation is not addressed, then there is a danger of an increase in crimes of violence, and other conditions detrimental to public peace, safety and welfare. It has been found that folding knives with a blade of four (4) inches or more that locks in an open position are designed and used almost exclusively for the purpose of stabbing or the threat thereof. Therefore for the safety of the city, such weapons should be prohibited from sale within the jurisdiction of the city of New York.

b. It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, or offer for sale within the jurisdiction of the city of New York, any folding knife with a blade length of four or more inches which is so constructed that when it is opened it is locked in an open position and cannot be closed without depressing or moving a release mechanism.

c. Exempt from this section are importers and exporters or merchants who ship or receive locking folding knives, with a blade length of four or more inches, in bulk, which knives are scheduled to travel or have travelled in the course of international, interstate, or intrastate commerce to a point outside the city. Such bulk shipments shall remain in their original shipping package, unopened, except for inspection and possible subdivision for further movement in interstate or intrastate commerce to a point outside the city.

d. Violation of this section shall be an offense punishable by a fine of not more than seven hundred fifty dollars ($750) or by imprisonment not exceeding fifteen days (15) or both such fine and imprisonment. Any person violating this section shall be subject to a civil penalty not to exceed one thousand dollars for each violation. "

https://codelibrary.amlegal.com/codes/newyorkcity/latest/NYCadmin/0-0-0-216693 .
Oof guess it’s a no then

Yea I’ll definitely keep it home but everything I read online is confusing . I get I can’t walk around with it but my other fear is the police will intercept the package or some and I’ll catch a charge don’t know how likely that is though
how are they gonna do that? they cant scan or open and check every package coming in and out of the 5 boroughs. they can't even stop violent criminals let alone intercept packages. not to get political and it isn't my intentions but they can't handle real crime there with staff they have now, let alone stop what is likely legal to own being mailed to you. I thought some things were legal to own just not carry even in that city? like that knife or even a machete? no?

if you want to follow the laws perfectly best ya can do is call the local police and maybe your city commisioners reps or whatever they call them up there and ask for copies of the laws and how they are interpreted. NYC is modern place maybe it's all online now? where I am it isn't ya have to go and get copies of county ordinances from the county. state laws are all online though down here. you can also pay a weapons lawyer and get proper legal advice from them.

if ya want it and its legal to own, buy it. just don't do stupid things with it and you'll be fine. if you want proper legal advice using the internet isn't the right way. paying a weapons lawyer and getting sound legal advice for that city you live in is the only proper way. good luck on your quest.

that talks about carrying in public and selling..doesn't say owning is a crime directly...unless I missed it?

how are they gonna do that? they cant scan or open and check every package coming in and out of the 5 boroughs. they can't even stop violent criminals let alone intercept packages. not to get political and it isn't my intentions but they can't handle real crime there with staff they have now, let alone stop what is likely legal to own being mailed to you. I thought some things were legal to own just not carry even in that city? like that knife or even a machete? no?

if you want to follow the laws perfectly best ya can do is call the local police and maybe your city commisioners reps or whatever they call them up there and ask for copies of the laws and how they are interpreted. NYC is modern place maybe it's all online now? where I am it isn't ya have to go and get copies of county ordinances from the county. state laws are all online though down here. you can also pay a weapons lawyer and get proper legal advice from them.

if ya want it and its legal to own, buy it. just don't do stupid things with it and you'll be fine. if you want proper legal advice using the internet isn't the right way. paying a weapons lawyer and getting sound legal advice for that city you live in is the only proper way. good luck on your quest.
Bro thank you that is great advice appreciate it

Bad boy
Bad boy
What ya gonna do
What ya gonna do
When they come for you!

Yolo bro! Plus I heard the knife squad was understaffed in NYC!

If ya really worried about pay for next day shipping, they aint got the time to ck em.

Bad boy
Bad boy
What ya gonna do
What ya gonna do
When they come for you!

Yolo bro! Plus I heard the knife squad was understaffed in NYC!

If ya really worried about pay for next day shipping, they aint got the time to ck em.
lmfao . I was thinking that been reading to use anything but usps .

The problem is with the way the state and city interprets "Dangerous" knife. Part A of the city admin code sort of establishes large folders as "dangerous knives", while the general laws of State aren't that harsh. Granted, it's something that probably won't be a problem if kept in the house, but people have gotten charged over the years for transporting big folders in cars, or by some odd interaction- e.g.- Police investigating a medical emergency or burgled house.

Again, probably not really a problem if the knife is kept in a sock drawer, etc.....:).

Another problem with the Espada is the "wave" feature. Assisted openers are illegal in NY, and they haven't settled on or given guidance what they consider "assisted opening". It still seems to be up in the air.

The problem is with the way the state and city interprets "Dangerous" knife. Part A of the city admin code sort of establishes large folders as "dangerous knives", while the general laws of State aren't that harsh. Granted, it's something that probably won't be a problem if kept in the house, but people have gotten charged over the years for transporting big folders in cars, or by some odd interaction- e.g.- Police investigating a medical emergency or burgled house.

Again, probably not really a problem if the knife is kept in a sock drawer, etc.....:).

Another problem with the Espada is the "wave" feature. Assisted openers are illegal in NY, and they haven't settled on or given guidance what they consider "assisted opening". It still seems to be up in the air.
Damn

2 questions:

When was the last time your house was searched by police?

When was the last time you were randomly frisked by police while out in public?

The answer to those questions should answer your question.

2 questions:

When was the last time your house was searched by police?

When was the last time you were randomly frisked by police while out in public?

The answer to those questions should answer your question.
Never got my house searched but years ago I’d get stopped while in a cab and they patted me down . I definitely wouldn’t take it anywhere though like that and if they did pat me down stop and frisk is illegal now so I’d sue or something

Nyc's logic is so full of holes it's a darn shame. You've probably gotten your answer 100x over, I would not pick that model, NYC or not, that knife screams weapon. But if you are adamant on it, then I wouldn't brandish it or advertise its use in public unfortunately

Back