WW2 technique question

I've been getting to know a WW2 dotd I recently snagged. When chopping, it feels as though the sweet spot is closer to the tip, just behind the rounded "nose"
Am i correct in assuming this is indeed the specially hardened spot of the blade on this model?

With the WWIIs, I usually chop a bit further back, probably about half the length of the red curve that you drew. I found that it cuts down on the vibration a bit.

As for the hardening that you mentioned, I would say "probably". A simple etch, say with mustard, would show you for sure.

Enjoy it, it's one of my favorite models.

What is usually visible is a differently-colored area of the edge, roughly the shape of the red curve that you drew, but upside down (with the curved side towards the spine).
There were several discussions about etching and bluing a while ago (10+ years?), but I doubt that any of the pictures have survived.
Counterintuitively, putting a light coating of mustard leaves a stronger etch than a thick one.

Try to lightly run a fine file across the edge and feel what digs in and what skates across the edge. With a little practice this is super reliable. Cheap fingernail file stolen from your wife or girl is good too as long as it aint diamond. This is a very good way to physically find hardness up and down the edge. Use a fine file so you dont damage the edge on the softer spots. Thats the way I do it and works perfectly. Also might try it on your Karda and Chakma just to get a feel of hardness. The Chakma should not get scratched or dig in with the file. The Karda will be softer. Scratched I mean it will not dig in but might make a light "scratch" or blemish. Nothing is visual. All is feel.

Back