You're saying that wrong...

I grew up watching Gunsmoke and my favorite character is Festus played by Ken Curtis. So I can sometimes confound a person with some of his yamerins. 😆 You’ll avoid that like chittlins on a city folks supper plate. 😂

Whilst reading your post, David Mary sir, I couldst not help but wonder why the Brits use "whilst", and those of us in the U.S. use "while"? Up in the Great White North, are both used? or are you following the Yankee way whilst the Brits use the other form? Or is "tandis que" perhaps preferred, instead?

"whilst" ... "while"? Up in the Great White North, are both used? ... Or is "tandis que" perhaps preferred, instead?

Tandis que l'on parle en Français, bien sûr ;)

I've always pronounced it neesh, then a friend who happens to be a linguist told me both are acceptable.

So i've heard this even from native English speakers:

SaLmon
ALmond

The L in both is silent, but people like to pronounce it..🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Two more conversational (as opposed to written):
Cinnamon = synonym
Obeast = obese
I heard both in the last week or two, and really wanted to ask, "How do you spell that word?"

How did height (hite) become heigth (hithe)? Just because the other 2 dimensions end in "th" doesn't mean you can just change the pronunciation to make them all the same.:rolleyes:

And it's oriented, not orientated.
So I recently got a like alert for this, and when I checked it, the oriented vs orientated thing reminded me of Mrs Fields cookies. How you may ask? Well, the last episode of The Food That Built America on the History channel was about Mrs Fields and Famous Amos cookies. Anyway, at some house party for her husband's co-workers, Mrs Fields (who's first name was Debbi) baked a bunch of her homemade cookies. At one point she was talking to her husband's boss, and said the word "orientated". The guy corrected her, and said that if she couldn't learn proper English, she should just stick to baking cookies. And boy did she!:thumbsup:

Ok I just read through this entire thread and I’m surprised nobody came up with this one that I frequently see here:

“My knife NEEDS SHARPENED,” instead of “needs SHARPENING” or “needs TO BE sharpened”.

My best friend in high school spoke that way. About verbs in general. And while it has sounded weird to me in the past... I have to admit that it does have a certain concise appeal to it. Almost like the "to be" is implied whether present or not. But it took me a while of being aggravated with it before I softened to that position. :)

My best friend in high school spoke that way. About verbs in general. And while it has sounded weird to me in the past... I have to admit that it does have a certain concise appeal to it. Almost like the "to be" is implied whether present or not. But it took me a while of being aggravated with it before I softened to that position. :)

I understand the purpose of a thread like this to discuss these issues - and some do require cleaning up, clarification and/or correction. But in cases like "needs sharpened", where there is no mistaking the meaning, calling it out as wrong in the forums is more likely to be met with resentment and thought of as playing "grammar police".

Back