A few pen questions...

einsteinjon

Platinum Member
Hi all,

I have an extreme duty aluminum pen and love it. Had a copper but it was too heavy for my liking so I got the aluminum. Since I love the copper look, I've been eyeing a copper investigator. It is listed at the same weight as the aluminum extreme duty. Can anyone who has used both (or even the steel or brass investigator) if the heavier metal investigator pens still feel light like an aluminum extreme duty? I am wondering if it would feel heavier since it's the same weight in a smaller package, essentially making it denser.

Another question...has anyone tried putting rubber o rings on the hand grip area? Does it change the feel much? Do they come off in your pocket? What size for both ED and investigator?

Lastly, occasionally the cap of my ED likes to unscrew itself while in my pocket. Am I the only one? Would an o ring just above the threads help? I imagine Teflon tape would help too but figured an o ring would look nicer. Any other thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

All I have is the Brass Investigator. I personally like the weight. Regarding last question; I did place an O-ring just under the pen end threads which solved the cap coming loose. I would imagine you could do the same on the Extreme.

In case anyone wanted to see an answer regarding the O-rings, I took matters into my own hands. I used #5 O-rings from the plumbing department at Home Depot on both ends of the Extreme Duty and they seem to be the right fit, and keep the cap in place. I also used #5 O-rings on all 7 grooves at both ends of the pen to add grippiness (at the top end they were to make it symmetrical). The #5s are pretty tight on the grips, but seem to hug in there best and don't shift around.

Back