A happy mishap

Redmeadow Knives

John Conner
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I was making a Cowbell for a good friend and while digging around for a unique handle material I came across some vintage micarta scales (which I'm pretty sure came in a care package from one of the Clan here).

Apparently this stuff is extremely heat sensitive as you can see by the discoloration focusing around the pins. This got no more heat than usual, I always pay close attention when grinding the pins down after the scales are attached to avoid over heating them. The other half dozen I did at the same had no effect but are from modern micarta.

At first I was really disappointed but after finishing it out, I really like it and think it might be one of the most unique knives I've ever made.

Anyways, an interesting effect that I thought you guys might want to see. Pics really don't do it justice.

What say you? Ghastly abomination or nice effect? Personally I want to keep it for myself but am glad it will be going to a good home (J.S. if you're watching this one's for you brother).
20221027_164633-01.jpeg
20221027_164553-01.jpeg20221027_164603-01.jpeg

I think it looks great. Reminds me of Dijon mustard (which I like) with the contrast. It has character and an ‘heirloom’ look to it- very nice looking knife. Brighter colors with some muting are great imho.

of the original future owner doesnt want it you can send it to me.

I think it looks great. Imperfections are part of the charm.

My wife tells me that I'm VERY charming.
If he doesn't want it you'll have to fight me for it, pistols at dawn!!

Aaaand of course now I have to post a great scene from my favorite movie since dueling always reminds me of this....

"I told you I'd do it, I told you but you wouldn't believe me, Damn your soul!"

(Burl Ives is Chuck Connors Dad for context, if you all haven't seen "The Big Country" we can't be friends 😆 )

I like the way that turned out. One of a kind character that defines a handsome handmade knife. Old micarta is like wood in the way that you don’t discover it’s true character until the shaping and sanding is done. I am sure your good friend will cherish this special gift. 👍

Phil

Back