Axe info

I apologize for not updating the original post with all of the makers you guys have included....work keeps me pretty busy. Anyway, I appreciate all your input.

BFH44: I haven't ever heard of the Austrian maker you referenced, however, over the past 1 or 200 years there have been TONS of blacksmiths that have made axes, knives, etc. It would be nearly impossible to catalog all of these makers.

Would it be asking too much to add photos of head maker marks to this? I would do my part in contributing photos.

I like what is there, but sometimes you don't know where to start searching with the maker mark either not the name or not struck clearly.

Shapleigh Hardware Company(St. Louis?) produced the Diamond Edge line of axes, which was a competitor with the Keen Kutter brand for many years.

In 1940 Shapleigh Hardware Company acquired Simmons Hardware Company, including the rights to the Keen Kutter trademark. Shapleigh H.C. produced both lines of axes for the next 20 years.

Also, I recently acquired an old axe head marked Mack Axe Beaver Falls, PA. The only info on it I have found is that Mack Axe Works produced tools in the early 1900s.

file:///C:/Users/User/Desktop/IMG_0164.JPG
hi i found this axe plz help me find out his age and who make it by the symbols look at the picture if u dont see the picture and know a lot about old axes email me to tomxx12345@gmail.com

for discontinued manufacturers -

you could add :

Beatty and Sons

Spiller

The Mann family - there were the brothers - William and others. Also in Canada?

Warren and Pink - Canada (Canadian Warren Pink)

Ill see what else I can come up with.

Here are some more - discontinued :

New England Axe Co
Maine Axe Co
G.W. Bradley
Philadelphia Tool Co
Emerson and Stevens
Empire Tool Works
I had mentioned the Mann familiy - before Mann Edge Tool Co basically took over, and when they all left the AATCo, there were William, Robert, and Thomas, and at one time or another they all had their own line.
Sears Roebuck (Craftsman line)
G White Axe Co

Those are just some I came up with. Of course there are about over 5000 manufacturers out there, 99% now all discontinued.

...I've been learning all I can in regards to cabin building using only hand tools, the most important tool being an axe...
I've tried to make a list of the most commonly found axes

Your goal of learning how to build a house with (a minimum of) hand tools must be applauded -- and so is your effort to compile a list of ax makers. Before you continue with re-inventing the wheel so to speak, you might want to obtain a copy of "Axe Makers of North America" by Allan Klenman -- the most comprehensive treatise on that subject. Available from co-author of the latest edition Larry McPhail (in Washington state) 360-366-5548

-- Peter

mainehistorical_2165_18298703

Last edited:
That axe on the cover looks familar.......

Attachments

• SagerCWP1.jpg
    SagerCWP1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 382
  • SagerCWP2.jpg
    SagerCWP2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 121
question:

is it true that the Husqvarna axe is made by Wetterlings, or is it, from what i have found on the web, that it is made by Hults Bruks?

sincerely,

an axe newbie

Just wanted to chime in on this old thread. WARREN AXE AND TOOL COMPANY is from Warren Pennsylvania and featured the Bulldog brand of logging tools and axes. I see you had a question mark by the name in the first list.

I have a nice catalog from them. I beleive they ended in the 50's . I own a hatchet too. A rather large company at one time. Hope this helps.

ive got an old axe kicking around that i finally cleaned up. turned out the markings were still somewhat legible

BUSHMA... Made in Sweeden. on the otherside, guaranteed highest quality. bit of blue paint still on it

anyone have any info for me on this axe? i think its an oldie. i can take pics

...BUSHMA... Made in Sweeden...anyone have any info for me on this axe?...

BUSHMAN was a brand of saws and other tools (including axes) made by Edsbyns Industri Aktiebolag (EIA) of Edsbyns, Sweden. EIA was reportedly acquired by Sandvik in 1973.

From the Bushman (EIA) catalog dated 1955:

[broken link, sorry]

Last edited:
To our no longer produced side, we could also add a couple local yocals for me anyway, but still relevant in the axe scheme of things overall, at least back in the day, and that was Strickler, and then also Stohler. HH Strickler, from 1894 to 1896. So very short time frame. Then also Stohloer from Pa. Made hand made axes, hewing are the more common ones I have seen. Couple good examples of local blacksmiths at the time.

Thanks.

John king axe company, Oakland Maine. I have only seen a few examples stamped "John King" but there are a pile of ones stamped "KATCO" (King Axe and Tool Co.). There were a whole slew of companies from oakland, not all of which I know about I'm sure.

Back