Benchmade 806D2 AFCK

I've had my 806 AFCK for a little over 3 weeks and here are my impressions.

Upon first opening the knife i found that the pivot screw was excessively tight so i loosened it a bit, this made the knife open more easily but it still felt a little bit rough. I heated the pivot point using a hair dryer and put a drop or 2 of militec1 on it letting it sit overnight. the next morning the action was extremely smooth. I would have to say this is one of the smoothest actions i have seen.

My knife seems to have the bronze washers and i can say they are an improvement over the earlier nylon washers. The handle with the index finger groove offers an extremely secure grip even if the knife were to be covered in slippery viscous liquids. I would love to get one of these with a satin finished blade as i do not particularly care for the BT2 coating.

Blade shape makes for extremely effective cuts and slashes. I used some water soaked tatami mats purchased from http://www.ecmas.com/ bundled to about 1.5" thickness and was able to sever them cleanly with a single diagonal stroke. I would guess that the blade profile is condusive to excellent penetration altho i have not done any penetration tests.

The knife allows for a number of rapid opening techniques. if you apply light pressure to the thumbhole in a diagonal direction while flicking the wrist ever so gently the blade will open with authority. Inertial opens are also possible.

The blade is made of excellent D2 tool steel and after the tatami tests sharpened up nicely with a light stropping. This will be my EDC for some time to come. It sits nicely clipped to the pocket considering its size.

I would like to get a vertical or horizontal kydex belt holster for it though so i if anyone can recommend a particular site/brand/forumite who can make one i would appreciate it.

The knife allows for a number of rapid opening techniques. if you apply light pressure to the thumbhole in a diagonal direction while flicking the wrist ever so gently the blade will open with authority. Inertial opens are also possible.

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=806d2

thats one of the knifes major advantages, its designed so you can flick it with your pointer finger and then wrap your hand around the knife faster than you can with your thumb, if you deploy it with your thumb the knife is 90 degrees from where it should be for a good grip so you have to reposition the knife before you can give a usefull cut or thrust.

Fastest opening method for an afck...

Hold knife at a 45 degree angle, tip up, sharp side in.

Flip it straight down and let gravity help.

Enjoy reverse grip :p

I really like Tom Krein's work with kydex for neck sheaths and he tells me he can make a neck sheath for the 806. I have a stock 806 that i will be sending to him soon for that very purpose. I do a lot of work which requires discreet carry and am hoping that the neck sheath will allow not only covert but comfortable carry. I know the knife is heavy but I have separation anxiety every time I cant carry it.

As for the opening methods, I have to say the 806 has quite a few of them.
I've always opened my knives with a flick of the thumbnail to the thumbstuds and the spyderco's i had were all base models which were not smooth opening at all requiring the thumb to manipulate the hole. When i first got my 806 I was not particularly crazy about the oval shape of the hole but now that i have gotten the hang of index opens the shape actually makes sense.

I sure would love a satin version. I like the AFCK, but hate the black coating.

Same here, I would love a satin version. Ive heard of people stripping the coat off their knives but i dont really feel comfortable doing that. actually i wouldnt mind the coating if it wore better.
I have a daily user BM Ares with bt2 coat and it looks awful after a year of heavy use.
my satin finish 941 looks perfect and it was heavily used.

i striped the coating off of my kabars before but never off of a expensive knife like the 806. ive got a good friend whos been using a old liner lock 800 (pre-axis lock afck) and i love how his blade over time has begain to show its age. theres just something that attracts me to the look of one thats begining to loose the coating around the "pointy" edges on the profile of the knife.

The AFCK looks sexy without the black coating:

normal_afck-final1.jpg

http://www.2smrt4u.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=2

I think i saw that knife on the BM forums some time ago.
It's definitely a looker!

On a side note, im really digging the stock blade shape of the AFCK. it seems to leave a heck of a wound channel. was fun cutting up flank steaks with it for my weekend barbecue also.

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=806d2

thats one of the knifes major advantages, its designed so you can flick it with your pointer finger and then wrap your hand around the knife faster than you can with your thumb, if you deploy it with your thumb the knife is 90 degrees from where it should be for a good grip so you have to reposition the knife before you can give a usefull cut or thrust.
Lol, I know this thread is 20yrs old, but I've owned my AFCK for 30yrs now and never knew I could flick it with my index finger.
Thanks for this little trick. Makes my favorite knife even better.

Back