Captain Commando

Hurrul

Gold Member
While not officially a captain of anything (but I adore abundant alliteration), I sometimes go commando.

A couple of examples, a Pygmy and Shaman:
eHuTDlGl.jpg

My only tapered tang commando is the super sneaky Shaman:
mfFn6sql.jpg

Not as much handle flare on these plain Janes, but I do like them quite a bit.

Anyone else go traipsing around the house, commando style, once and a while?

Let me get this straight, are you referring to a commando type set up to carry your knives around the house? Or are you referring to no pants aka sheaths for them? Now, I hope for your safety that you are not going around with no pants ( or without undergarments ) on yourself and carrying knives with no pants!!! That will not end well. If you do, please close all the blinds. šŸ˜ And keep the phone close by to dial 911.

Last edited:
Let me get this straight, are you referring to a commando type set up to carry your knives around the house? Or are you referring to no pants aka sheaths for them? Now, I hope for your safety that you are not going around with no pants ( or without undergarments ) on yourself and carrying knives with no pants!!! That will not end well. If you do, please close all the blinds. šŸ˜ And keep the phone close by to dial 911.
Yours is a good awareness to have, cbach8tw cbach8tw - sometimes, too much commando can have serious consequences.

However, by going full commando I've noticed my bushcrafting skills have experienced elevated results...;)

While not officially a captain of anything (but I adore abundant alliteration), I sometimes go commando.

A couple of examples, a Pygmy and Shaman:
eHuTDlGl.jpg

My only tapered tang commando is the super sneaky Shaman:
mfFn6sql.jpg

Not as much handle flare on these plain Janes, but I do like them quite a bit.

Anyone else go traipsing around the house, commando style, once and a while?
I've got an awesome F2 in orange burlap micarta commando style! I'll try to find it in one of my packs and get a pic.

I think you've been promoted to major commando with those 2.

Stag or jigged bone on the one on the right side of pics?
I was told it's bone. These are my only two that are commando. I have another Shaman with liners and pin stripes but I prefer them without for some reason. I think it makes it feel more usable without all the bells and whistles?

I was told it's bone. These are my only two that are commando. I have another Shaman with liners and pin stripes but I prefer them without for some reason. I think it makes it feel more usable without all the bells and whistles?
Yeah, the less flare in the handle does make them seem more like users, to me, too.

Jigged bone handle commando Shaman - reads more like a magical warrior or ancient artifact, than a knife...

Sometimes, when operating as a super sneaky water way commando, I bring this Babyboot:
Ebj6nc4l.jpg

wSfeZd5l.jpg

QRd1sRgl.jpg

Commando humor aside, the blue Babyboot fit's the black sheath great and both knife and sheath carry/wear very minimally whether on my hip or in a front pocket. I also will hike with it, in my chest pack. It would almost be easy to loose being so light and small.

I have 2 Babyboots with full figured handles and they get carried; I like them both, but have come to find that I also appreciate the minimalist commando concept applied to the blue Babyboot, too.

Here's my commando F2
I love how thin and light this is.
I often carry it on my pack strap in a kydex sheath.

Orange burnt burlap - has a rich color from here.

I've been waiting for an F2, just hasn't worked out yet.

I was looking pretty hard at the commando, in vintage natural micarta, F2 in this sale. https://knifeoutpost.com/blogs/prev...3-22-24?_pos=12&_sid=19dba60c4&_ss=r.....just didn't pick it up, even though it sat for a short few days, and then it was gone...

Orange burnt burlap - has a rich color from here.

I've been waiting for an F2, just hasn't worked out yet.

I was looking pretty hard at the commando, in vintage natural micarta, F2 in this sale. https://knifeoutpost.com/blogs/prev...3-22-24?_pos=12&_sid=19dba60c4&_ss=r.....just didn't pick it up, even though it sat for a short few days, and then it was gone...
That was a nice one too. I really like the pointy blade of the F2. Seems to be very useful for most of my needs.

That was a nice one too. I really like the pointy blade of the F2. Seems to be very useful for most of my needs.
I agree, looks like a nimble knife and I like the precise point, and gentle curve of the edge.

Nice size, too. Kind of Hiking Buddy and Bushraptor size - not too big, but a good handful of knife.

Ok, still curious, does commando mean a non tapered tang or a full tang? I miss things too easily.

Back