Customer Service Bull$%#!

So I found out just how much Cold Steel’s customer service is bullshit now that GSM took over. I called up and asked if they had replacement pocket clips and screws for my SR1 Lite and my Recon 1 for the left side. I went through the website at first to request the parts since I like to carry my knives on either side. They replied back saying that they didn’t have them at the time. Just recently my pocket clip for my SR1 lite broke and a screw got bent while trying to unscrew it. I called customer service this time and was told they can’t do anything and at most, they can completely replace the knife if still under warranty. What the hell is wrong with them now?

So I found out just how much Cold Steel’s customer service is bullshit now that GSM took over. I called up and asked if they had replacement pocket clips and screws for my SR1 Lite and my Recon 1 for the left side. I went through the website at first to request the parts since I like to carry my knives on either side. They replied back saying that they didn’t have them at the time. Just recently my pocket clip for my SR1 lite broke and a screw got bent while trying to unscrew it. I called customer service this time and was told they can’t do anything and at most, they can completely replace the knife if still under warranty. What the hell is wrong with them now?
They offered to, at most, replace the whole knife? That’s not too shabby. CS (and most brands) historically don’t just send clips and screws to anyone who wants them.

Last edited:
Did the pre-GSM Cold Steel have a repair department? I don't think they did, but I barely remember supper last night.

They offered to, at most, replace the whole knife? That’s not too shabby. CS (and most brands) historically don’t just send clips and screws to anyone who wants them.
I have received screws, pocket clips, and spacers/stand offs from CRKT and Kershaw. CS says on their site that they do that.

Did the pre-GSM Cold Steel have a repair department? I don't think they did, but I barely remember supper last night.
Not officially. But back in the day, my US made 4Max, and a lot of 4Max’s in that run, had overly proud lock bars. Cold Steel via Andrew Demko, replaced the lock bars of whoever sent them in.

I called customer service this time and was told they can’t do anything and at most, they can completely replace the knife if still under warranty.
“if still under warranty”

Does that mean if it wasn’t abused or used to pry with?

Am I being too optimistic to think cold steel would adopt a no questions asked warranty?

“if still under warranty”

Does that mean if it wasn’t abused or used to pry with?

Am I being too optimistic to think cold steel would adopt a no questions asked warranty?
Do you work for them..

"What the hell is wrong with them now?"

A lot. I sent a couple swords to them down in TexASS to get sharpened and they butchered one of them. Dealing with the customer service guy was a slice of insane as well. After I got them back, I gave up...

F Fortino at least you got a reply to your email. I emailed them about an issue with a new sheath several weeks ago. I haven't gotten a response.

I live close to where the CS store was in Ventura so I would take my stuff in there if I needed a replacement. The guys at the counter said the repair department mailed out replacement parts when not fixing the ones mailed in. Then they had the parking lot sales for all the knives that were sent in and not repaired, just replaced.

I live close to where the CS store was in Ventura so I would take my stuff in there if I needed a replacement. The guys at the counter said the repair department mailed out replacement parts when not fixing the ones mailed in. Then they had the parking lot sales for all the knives that were sent in and not repaired, just replaced.
I never had the chance to got to one of their parking lot sales. And I live in Bakersfield. Now they are based in TX. I missed the fuck out.

I never had the chance to got to one of their parking lot sales. And I live in Bakersfield. Now they are based in TX. I missed the fuck out.
I attended several of those shows. Lynn Thompson shaking hands and welcoming folks in line, demonstrations, barbecue Tri Tip, music and tables full of knives & swords. I did some knife mods for one of the employees so I got some great deals at the last parking lot sale. (Hung out with the daughter of one of the managers way back in 1984 when CS was in their original location and just starting out).

There were two parking lot sales per year. One in November and another in May. I never attended the November sale but yeah, in May there was bbq, demos, tables full of product. Everybody was very pleasant, good crowds, etc. There was also an annual event called the Cold Steel Challenge which took place at the Ventura County Fairgrounds. People would spar with foam knives and get points for making a cut or stab. Pads and face masks were required to prevent injuries. Winners got Cold Steel products and a certificate. Great times.

I attended several of those shows. Lynn Thompson shaking hands and welcoming folks in line, demonstrations, barbecue Tri Tip, music and tables full of knives & swords. I did some knife mods for one of the employees so I got some great deals at the last parking lot sale. (Hung out with the daughter of one of the managers way back in 1984 when CS was in their original location and just starting out).
There were two parking lot sales per year. One in November and another in May. I never attended the November sale but yeah, in May there was bbq, demos, tables full of product. Everybody was very pleasant, good crowds, etc. There was also an annual event called the Cold Steel Challenge which took place at the Ventura County Fairgrounds. People would spar with foam knives and get points for making a cut or stab. Pads and face masks were required to prevent injuries. Winners got Cold Steel products and a certificate. Great times.
Sounds like a great time ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back