Skinner Dan v2
.100” 14c28n @ 62 hrc
Blade Length: 4”
Handle Length: 4.25”
Handle Material: Golden trout
Thickness behind edge: .008”

IMG_9071.jpeg
IMG_9072.jpeg

Follow up question: which steels do you prefer for a knife of this 👆 type, that will be used to process medium and small game (bones and all)?

Follow up question: which steels do you prefer for a knife of this 👆 type, that will be used to process medium and small game (bones and all)?

I’m a big fan of aeb-l and 14c28n. As most know magnacut will have better edge retention. It’s kind of hard for me to pick one.

The most important factor for me is edge stability. Both of these steels have exceptional edge stability and can take really low edge angles. I should mention, certain higher carbide steels do seem to take aggressive edges better and can be advantageous on animal parts (hide, meat, etc).

My girlfriend shot a bull elk last archery season here and I used one of my aeb-l blades at 62.5 hrc to dress it out. It was almost zero ground with a 15* per side edge. It was still shaving hair at the end of the elk. For me, I really don’t need more edge retention than that for a game processing knife.

Maybe if you were on a multi animal (in a group) hunt or extended bird hunting trip/small game trip you might want the increased edge retention. Usually though I’m backpacking for hunts so it’s one animal at a time.

Figure I may as well add a photo. Not the most savory pic, but it was her first elk, with a recurve.
IMG_5415.jpeg

I’m a big fan of aeb-l and 14c28n. As most know magnacut will have better edge retention. It’s kind of hard for me to pick one.

The most important factor for me is edge stability. Both of these steels have exceptional edge stability and can take really low edge angles. I should mention, certain higher carbide steels do seem to take aggressive edges better and can be advantageous on animal parts (hide, meat, etc).

My girlfriend shot a bull elk last archery season here and I used one of my aeb-l blades at 62.5 hrc to dress it out. It was almost zero ground with a 15* per side edge. It was still shaving hair at the end of the elk. For me, I really don’t need more edge retention than that for a game processing knife.

Maybe if you were on a multi animal (in a group) hunt or extended bird hunting trip/small game trip you might want the increased edge retention. Usually though I’m backpacking for hunts so it’s one animal at a time.

Figure I may as well add a photo. Not the most savory pic, but it was her first elk, with a recurve.
View attachment 2292738
Looks like it was a great hunt, well done!

I concur re AEB-L: if it can stay sharp through an elk or a few whitetails then it's just about right. I particularly like how easy it is to touch up with minimal effort.

Do you split the breast plate with your thinly ground AEB-L blades, or is that something you wouldn't recommend (or is it just unnecessary with elk)?

Looks like it was a great hunt, well done!

I concur re AEB-L: if it can stay sharp through an elk or a few whitetails then it's just about right. I particularly like how easy it is to touch up with minimal effort.

Do you split the breast plate with your thinly ground AEB-L blades, or is that something you wouldn't recommend (or is it just unnecessary with elk)?
I typically can just reach in there and grab what I want. I think that you’d be fine splitting a breast plate with anything above .012” bte, but my personal knives are usually sub .01” and I probably wouldn’t do it. Maybe I’ll try it this fall with some really thin knives

Any plans on using the high edge stability tool steels? Cruwear at 63+ is a freaking machine.
I’ve done a few knives in cru wear at 64 hrc. I haven’t used it a ton myself.

I have a big bar of it in the shop that’s always staring at me

In terms of “growing” as a knife maker, this was a fairly challenging build.

I was asked by my friend (the archaeologist here) to make an antler handled knife to gift to a tribal member (Ute tribe). This knife has been stressful for me. I was on a deadline, and I’ve never worked with antler before. There was a lot of freehand/eyeballing involved, which can be fun, but when you’re ocd like me stressful too. All and all for my first hidden tang antler knife I’m happy with how it turned out. There’s a few things I’m tearing apart in my head still.

Custom
.14” Aeb-L @ 63.5 HRC (much thicker stock than I ever use)
Handle Material: Micarta/Local mule deer
Thickness behind edge: .14”

IMG_9121.jpegIMG_9118.jpeg

I was asked by my friend (the archaeologist here) to make an antler handled knife to gift to a tribal member (Ute tribe). This knife has been stressful for me. I was on a deadline, and I’ve never worked with antler before. There was a lot of freehand/eyeballing involved, which can be fun, but when you’re ocd like me stressful too. All and all for my first hidden tang antler knife I’m happy with how it turned out. There’s a few things I’m tearing apart in my head still.

Custom

View attachment 2296565View attachment 2296567
You're killing it, dude! Is your book open right now?

You're killing it, dude! Is your book open right now?
Hey thanks.

My books are kind of always open and just am up front that I do this on the side and it’s hard giving a solid eta. I don’t take deposits. So far people don’t seem to mind waiting. I don’t know I might eventually have to come up with a better system. PM me if you’re interested.

I’m going through a bit of a life transition right now with a bunch of stuff, but knife making should pickup substantially in the coming months. I have one coming up that will be available on the custom forum. My goal is to have the occasional blade available on there.

Custom

I would carry the heck out of that!!!

The lines are stellar.

Custom

Looks perfect from here!!!!👍👍👍. Great freakin' job!!

This is the type of knife I wanted to make when I started making knives. Thin stock, thin grind, simple.

EDC
.079” 14c28n @ 62.5 HRC
Blade Length: 3.5”
Handle Length: 4” Coke Bottle Shape
Handle Material: Maroon ultrex linen/natural pins finished to 220 grit
Thickness behind edge: .007” Wet Ground

IMG_9156.jpegIMG_9158.jpegIMG_9159.jpeg

View attachment 2292738

That's pretty damn impressive, your girlfriend is a badass ;) It's always nice when a maker has a job/lifestyle that induces actual field experience. Couldn't agree with you more about AEB-L and 14c28n. It's criminal when makers don't take it thin, especially if they are using Larrin's protocol. Then again I'm sure it's a lot easier and faster to grind a jigged scandi vs what you're doing.

Beautiful work as always!

Back