Fino Edge Sharpening System UPGRADES

CelloDan

Gold Member
Hi folks :)

I just got this system from the big river site ($56)

I got to try it today ( my sharpening skills are very basic, keeping a consistent angle freehand is a big challenge for me )
I am very happy so far :thumbsup:

I had a couple questions about it and wrote to Fino, got an email back from Dino in like 15 minutes with my answers ( I am not affiliated in any way with this company)

I sharpened and did a major reprofile on my carbon steel lambsfoot.

Sharpened it at 15 degrees.
I had a stubborn burr and when stropping did not help ( I also tend to round the edges when stropping :( ) I went to my sharpmaker and a few passes on the ceramic rods at 20 degrees was like magic .... burr gone, microbevel set and super sharp :)

x0vwuv4.jpg

Last edited:
I am thinking that the lansky hones would fit no problem ( I'll try that at some point for more versatility in hones )
I have a few diamond plates from my WorkSharp guided system, I am thinking I could easily make a guide with a block of wood, a rod and a couple strong magnets, will try that too :)

Update:

I made another stone holder for the Fino system to use with my diamond stones from my Work Sharp guided system.

I used a 3/16 SS rod from home depot, a pen acrylic turning blank ( $ 5.50 CAD ) and a couple strong magnets.

The diamond plate would slide a little under pressure over the acrylic.
I found that a little piece of masking tape folded over itself ( sticky both sides) solved this issues and made for a rock solid hold :thumbsup: :)
( perhaps stronger magnets and 3 of them would eliminate the need for the piece of tape )

Also noticed that the wooden pen blanks are a bit longer, exactly the length of the plates actually. Retaining pins could be installed on the wooden blank to work just as in the work sharp system.

I am actually happy with the smaller acrylic blank though and will leave it at that.

Next is to experiment using the 3M PSA abrasive paper.
Cut into into strips and stick them either to the other sides of the pen blank for smaller knives or to the backs of the diamond plates for bigger ones.

p1RzAzM.jpg

Enjoyed upgrading my sharpening system with the generous help from our friend 777 Edge 777 Edge who has proved to be a great designer.
Thank you Burt :)

Small blades
UGcq5T4.jpg

Big ones

pQjlaLp.jpg

p8WgocO.jpg

Scissors

y7DiBCP.jpg

U29VKXQ.jpg

Convex edges
( I need more practice with this one, will try again once I build 777 Edge 777 Edge Leading Edge system )

sWrJVjL.jpg

Vertical blade support to level knives with a high flat grind.

HEDGycq.jpg

Sharpmaker adapter holders

4hEQsY3.jpg

Zeroed

VnDGqkT.jpg

Grind angle 4.60 % 2 = 2.30

JNLcBRf.jpg

17.30 - 2.30 = 15 degrees sharpening angle (someone please correct me if this is wrong )

5NRvIpi.jpg

SHARP lol :)

bNA2fjX.gif

My main issue with the Fino Edge system ( see at end of the video ) is that the screw that holds the vertical rod in position at times may come loose during sharpening and the rod slides down a tiny bit lowering the sharpening angle ( it happened a couple times ) I will make the grooves on the flat portion of the rod bigger/deeper so the screw bites more solidly into it to prevent this from happening. For now I am putting two or three ball bearings inside the main housing to bring the angle close to what I want and then I adjust/fine tune with the top screw/holder. It's actually working very well that way with no fear that the angle may change.

YJc93Mz.jpg

Next I am building the Leading Edge system.
Here are the parts, just waiting on the 8 mm rods to put it all together.

9FanNL2.jpg

Last edited:
Back