Hapstone R2 Lite Clamps

Hapstone R2 Lite (discontinued) clamps - who would like to see them return?

• Yes

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Haven't used them but they look promising

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

777 Edge

Dealer / Materials Provider
I've always really liked the Hapstone R2 lite clamps and found them to be very versatile and able to sharpen small and medium blades down to adequately low angles. The original ones were some of the best little clamps around.

Hapstone decided to discontinue them, but who would like them to reconsider and possibly bring them back into their line-up?

Perhaps Hapstone Official Hapstone Official can revisit the idea of bringing back the original hardened R2 Lite clamps with enough interest. Before being discontinued, the latest ones were made from a softer duralumin and could deform when tightened.

Here are some pics of them being used with the Hapstone R2 and various adapters on other (non-Hapstone) sharpening systems:

Hapstone R2 (The Lite clamps are on the sides of the bar):

IMG_20220411_124307.jpg

KME:

IMG_20210818_161848.jpg

IMG_20210818_161756.jpg

Work Sharp precision adjust:

IMG_20210813_114702.jpg

IMG_20210727_181113.jpg

IMG_20210727_180604.jpg

Leading Edge Sharpening system:

IMG_20220224_163758.jpg

IMG_20220201_201530.jpg

IMG_20210909_214710.jpg

IMG_20210226_130655.jpg

Last edited:
I've always really liked the Hapstone R2 lite clamps and found them to be very versatile and able to sharpen small and medium blades down to adequately low angles. The original ones were some of the best little clamps around.

Hapstone decided to discontinue them, but who would like them to reconsider and possibly bring them back into their line-up?

Perhaps Hapstone Official Hapstone Official can revisit the idea of bringing back the original hardened R2 Lite clamps with enough interest. Before being discontinued, the latest ones were made from a softer duralumin and could deform when tightened.

Here are some pics of them being used with the Hapstone R2 and various adapters on other (non-Hapstone) sharpening systems:

Hapstone R2 (The Lite clamps are on the sides of the bar):

View attachment 2270596

KME:

View attachment 2270579

View attachment 2270581

Work Sharp precision adjust:

View attachment 2270585

View attachment 2270586

View attachment 2270588

Leading Edge Sharpening system:

View attachment 2270589

View attachment 2270590

View attachment 2270593

View attachment 2270594
Thank you 777 Edge, those former Hapstone clamps look really useful and a great supplement to their existing clamp options, hopefully Hapstone will consider bringing these clamps back into their catalogue.

Thank you for posting this clamp poll, very much appreciated!

It looks like the clamps can be fitted on a lot of the guided systems out there so this can benefit more than just Hampstone owners. Take a look at the pictures 777 Edge 777 Edge provided and think about how these could be helpful to the system you might be using.

It's great the Hapstone Lite clamps can be utilized on so many different sharpening systems with the appropriate adapter, hopefully Hapstone takes this into consideration when making a decision to hopefully make the Lite clamp available again.

Should Hapstone decide not to make the Lite clamp available again, it appears that Gritomatic (via GearConnect) does offer an adapter to attach various KakBritva and TSProf K03 clamps to the Hapstone R2 sharpening system.

What's not clear is which of the eight different versions of the KakBritva side clamp or which of the TSProf K03 clamps are most similar in capability and performance to the Hapstone Lite clamp.

Should Hapstone decide not to make the Lite clamp available again, it appears that Gritomatic (via GearConnect) does offer an adapter to attach various KakBritva and TSProf K03 clamps to the Hapstone R2 sharpening system.

What's not clear is which of the eight different versions of the KakBritva side clamp or which of the TSProf K03 clamps are most similar in capability and performance to the Hapstone Lite clamp.

None of the KakBritva clamps have the exact geometry of the original Hapstone Lite clamps. They are also wider than the original Hapstone Lite clamps. I would say the closest KakBritva "Side Clamps" contender as an all-rounder (wrt geometry and clamping ability) would be the 6mm Flat clamp (No undercut).

The original Hapstone Lite clamps have an opening of 5mm, but they are shorter than the KakBritva side clamps. Because of the increased length of the KakBritva side clamps, the geometry of the 6mm flat is probably the closest in clamping geometry to the original Hapstone Lite clamps. FYI - if you're only clamping the typical Spyderco FFG geometry knife grind and you want to clamp on the primary grind alone, then the 5 degree undercut KakBritva side clamp works well.

However, I don't recommend only using a single undercut clamp - even on a Spyderco FFG. The best way I have found, is to use two flat style clamps (like the 6mm KakBritva flat side clamps). As with most other clamp of this type and style, I recommend using two of them - one on the flat parallel "tang" area of a knife and the second clamp about an inch or two back from the tip of the knife. This way, most knife grinds can be clamped rock solid with no rotation or flex while sharpening.

As far as TSProf clamps go, at this point in time my favorite little all-rounders are the TSProf Pioneer clamps.

None of the KakBritva clamps have the exact geometry of the original Hapstone Lite clamps. They are also wider than the original Hapstone Lite clamps. I would say the closest KakBritva "Side Clamps" contender as an all-rounder (wrt geometry and clamping ability) would be the 6mm Flat clamp (No undercut).

The original Hapstone Lite clamps have an opening of 5mm, but they are shorter than the KakBritva side clamps. Because of the increased length of the KakBritva side clamps, the geometry of the 6mm flat is probably the closest in clamping geometry to the original Hapstone Lite clamps. FYI - if you're only clamping the typical Spyderco FFG geometry knife grind and you want to clamp on the primary grind alone, then the 5 degree undercut KakBritva side clamp works well.

However, I don't recommend only using a single undercut clamp - even on a Spyderco FFG. The best way I have found, is to use two flat style clamps (like the 6mm KakBritva flat side clamps). As with most other clamp of this type and style, I recommend using two of them - one on the flat parallel "tang" area of a knife and the second clamp about an inch or two back from the tip of the knife. This way, most knife grinds can be clamped rock solid with no rotation or flex while sharpening.

As far as TSProf clamps go, at this point in time my favorite little all-rounders are the TSProf Pioneer clamps.

Thank you very much for this information 777 Edge. Looks like those TSProf Pioneer clamps are made of "unobtainium" just like the Hapstone Lite clamps.

I'll take a close look at the KakBritva 6mm Flat side clamp as an option is Hapstone does not make the Lite clamp available again.

What about using the Hapstone Fillet clamps for narrow/thin blades, do you find them to be too flexible. If so, are the Fillet clamps offered by TSProf for the Kadet better in this regard assuming they can be fitted to a Hapstone R2 sharpener?

What about using the Hapstone Fillet clamps for narrow/thin blades, do you find them to be too flexible. If so, are the Fillet clamps offered by TSProf for the Kadet better in this regard assuming they can be fitted to a Hapstone R2 sharpener?

For narrow blades that require a low sharpening angle, my preference is to sharpen on a magnetic platform.

If you prefer fillet clamps then I would say go for the TSProf fillet clamps and some Gritomatic Gear connect adapters for your Hapstone R2. Hapstone's own fillet clamps are a little too flexible for my personal liking.

For narrow blades that require a low sharpening angle, my preference is to sharpen on a magnetic platform.

If you prefer fillet clamps then I would say go for the TSProf fillet clamps and some Gritomatic Gear connect adapters for your Hapstone R2. Hapstone's own fillet clamps are a little too flexible for my personal liking.
Thank you again 777 Edge, you are such a great wealth of knowledge when it comes to knife sharpening.

I'll be getting the two magnetic tables and some other accessories for my Hapstone R2 as birthday gifts next week. I'll give the magnetic table a try before deciding if I want to also invest in any fillet clamps.

Your support is very much appreciated!

Thank you again 777 Edge, you are such a great wealth of knowledge when it comes to knife sharpening.

I'll be getting the two magnetic tables and some other accessories for my Hapstone R2 as birthday gifts next week. I'll give the magnetic table a try before deciding if I want to also invest in any fillet clamps.

Your support is very much appreciated!

My pleasure, happy to help. And happy birthday for next week! 🥳

My pleasure, happy to help. And happy birthday for next week! 🥳
Thank you 777 Edge, much appreciated!

I'm disappointed in the response to this ad, especially with the effort you put into it to show all the sharpening systems that can benefit from the Lite clamps.

Do you think the response might improve if you enhanced the title to read "Hapstone R2 Lite Clamps - Excellent Clamp Solution for Many Sharpening Systems" or something to that effect?

Thank you 777 Edge, much appreciated!

I'm disappointed in the response to this ad, especially with the effort you put into it to show all the sharpening systems that can benefit from the Lite clamps.

Do you think the response might improve if you enhanced the title to read "Hapstone R2 Lite Clamps - Excellent Clamp Solution for Many Sharpening Systems" or something to that effect?

Not sure. Unfortunately most people don't know about Hapstone and do not realize what great systems they make that blows most US made systems out of the water. Don't get me wrong - I'm all for US made products first and foremost and I will always support local before international (if the products are of equal quality and versatility) but locally we have slim pickings that can compete with the quality, value and versatility of Hapstone systems.

If people specifically search for Hapstone, only then do they discover threads like these. Unfortunately not many people will specifically search for the name.

Last edited:
That is awesome. I have an older pair and those things creak and groan and sound like they are about to snap. Made it really sketchy to try and bend them straight and they need to be adjusted from time to time .
Not adequate material .... sounds like a good reason to ask for a replacement.

That is awesome. I have an older pair and those things creak and groan and sound like they are about to snap. Made it really sketchy to try and bend them straight and they need to be adjusted from time to time .
Good afternoon, Mr. B Bdtry !
We are sorry to hear about this situation, we will be happy to help you solve it, please contact us at info@hapstone.pro.

Sincerely, Mario
Hapstone !

Back