hey I am new to kukris

do you guys make custom kukri?

I am sorry if it seems like a dumb questiion.

fill me in. I was in northern india and bought a small tourist one. I am familiar with some of the history. how they were developed from the greek "kopis" and got to india and were developed firther into the kukri they come in many sizes and it is the national emblem of nepal or tibet.

I am getting into them as my main knife and am looking for a decent size one preferably cold steel. mostly back packing survival type stuff.

are there custom makers out there?

thanks

chris

Welcome Chris,
If you go to www.cystern.com/khukuri that is Craigs web page and shopping site. You will find that all of the Khukuris are hand made. Totally. They are a far step up from Cold Steel. Take a look and see all of the varations that are avalible without even special odering. Take a look and see what yoyu think.

Hey Chris,
Fancy meeting you here! Welcome to the club. There are lots of different variations of the khukuri, each with it's own balance and feel. After you've checked out the GH web site, read through some of the archives on the fourm, there are lot's of good posts on these sturdy knives. Even a field review or two by yours truely;) :D

Patrick

after trying just about every imagineable knife design out.

I think the kukri covers all the bases.

compact for what it offers in cutting power.

I was thinking about a camp axe then I thought wow! a kukri is that and more. a machete, a camp knife and a great defensive tool
plus it looks cool and exotic :cool:

I am on board now I just gotta get one.

I am searching for one on the sale/trade forums. don't have cash right now. hopefully I'll find the right one.

it is funny I have friends in Nepal right now but I have to ask them to bring me back a huge knife and I doubt they would know a good one from a tourist one.

it would be funny if they brought me back a tourist one.
:eek: :eek:

Impatiently waiting

Chris,
If you wind up with one of the tourist models, don't feel too bad. It will still give you an idea on how these knives behave, which is significantly different from other knives I've handled. The grip takes a bit of getting used to as well. Feel free to post general questions here, I'm sure you'll get answers.

As for good deals, Craig has the best deals as far as price. I believe that he posted a wile back that he may be mobilized soon, so custom orders may be hard to get. If you can talk to your friends before they leave Nepal, they can stop by Khukuri House in Katmandu. This is the source for GH's knives. The owner Lalitkumar Lama is a straight up guy, and an ex ghurka. If you decide to mail order a knife, I'd encourage you to go through Craig rather than directly through Lalit, because shipping from Nepal is very expensive, and you have to send a certified bank check via registered/insured post. I let Craig have the hassle :D

Best of luck and feel free to email me if you have questions,
Patrick

Actually I'm fairly new as well I just didn't like seeing no threads up today. So bttt

Sorry I'm not so frequent on the forum nowadays, guys! Busy busy busy. I read that Chris wrote at the top that the kukri is Nepal's national emblem. Gee, I'd love to have some kind of confirmation that it is in fact so.

(Another thing I'd love to see is that this forum gets a boost!)

Back