History of Cold Steel Tantos - Unauthorized and Probably Incomplete

This is my old original Tanto from 1984 with a separate (broken since 2009) kydex sheath from the same year 1984 that didn't come with it, but was a promotional dealer's sample from the same time frame. It's not my oldest knife, but I've used it the most overall through the decades up to 2009 when it was retired after the belt loop on the sheath broke. Favorite knife of all time overall. Thanks for putting out this history thread on it/them.

7lEF6xr.jpg

C6mHQFM.jpg

11FZZLM.jpg

a1ESx01.jpg

kx3i1bF.jpg

AVNGfKu.jpg

Your knife is a great example of the unlabeled Master Tanto with the San Mai III blade, and it's in beautiful shape after decades of use! Clearly you cared for her well.

Out of curiosity, are you pretty certain about purchasing your knife in 1984? I ask because it pushes back our understanding of when that knife was released by about a year or two.

-Steve

Have seen so many of those sheaths with the clip missing over the years. It's too bad it wasn't attached in a better way.

That technology was so new and innovative back then that they were wading into uncharted territory, figuring it out as they went. I asked Wes Crawford about those earliest Kydex sheaths at Blade Show this year. Bob Terzuola and Pat Crawford were the first custom makers (that I'm aware of) to offer Kydex for their fixed blades, and Cold Steel was the first production manufacturer to do so. The sheaths that I've observed from all three were virtually identical, so I wondered if perhaps they sourced them from the same maker, or if Crawford or Terzuola made Cold Steel's sheaths.

Wes, who was already making knives with his dad at the time, said that they made their own Kydex sheaths. When I commented on the construction similarity between the Crawford sheaths and Terzuola's and Cold Steel's, he said, "We copied each other's designs. Since it was brand new, that particular sheath configuration was just how you put together a Kydex sheath. We didn't know any other way to make them."

Since Wes didn't say that he and Pat made sheaths for Cold Steel, we're still left with the question of who made Cold Steel's sheaths. I doubt that it was Terzuola, as I can't see him having the time or inclination to make just sheaths, and I've never read anything indicating that he had any kind of business relationship with Lynn. It's a question that I hope to get an answer to some day.

-Steve

Last edited:
I thought I might include some photos to help explain what I'm talking about with the common designs of those earliest Kydex sheaths.

Terzuola

IMG-2852.jpg

Crawford

IMG-2843.jpg

Cold Steel

IMG-2861.jpg

I also wanted to note that two versions of early Tanto Kydex sheath exist. The first is this one, which matches the push dagger sheaths and I believe was the original.

IMG-2884.jpg

The second was the promotional dealer's model, which Viper1357 showed, and which I believe originally looked like this.

IMG-2889.jpg

In researching these, I discovered that a similar Kydex sheath, only with an attached metal clip, was also sold separately by dealers for the first Mini Tanto with brass fittings.

IMG-2888.jpg

IMG-2890.jpg

-Steve

P.S. - Since this is the history thread, it's worth noting that for many years Cold Steel sold another optional Kydex sheath for the Tanto during the period when the knives came with leather sheaths.

IMG-2887.jpg

Your knife is a great example of the unlabeled Master Tanto with the San Mai III blade, and it's in beautiful shape after decades of use! Clearly you cared for her well.

Out of curiosity, are you pretty certain about purchasing your knife in 1984? I ask because it pushes back our understanding of when that knife was released by about a year or two.

-Steve
So first, thanks for the kudos and information as it jarred my old foggy memory... Okay digging deep so please bear with the story I need to dribble on about as your comment helps me understand a bit more about what conversations (bits and pieces to me now so 3+ decades later..lol) I had back then with store owner/mgr when I got the Tanto.
Yes- definitely sure it was mid 1984 as my wife and I just moved to our first purchased home (townhouse) near the mall where the cutlery shop was located. It was spring 1984 and the shop owner/mgr? had just gotten 2 of these CS Tanto knives in and I had been visiting and chatting with him a couple/few times a week some time before that. I had been working on obtaining my FFL during this same year so we had a lot to talk guns and knives about. Honestly I knew very little about knives then. Probably still..
Anyway, he talked about how cool Cold Steel was, and how he was connected with someone there(?) so he got a lot of info and samples, early production, etc... (blah to me at the time, but if I could score something cool, well...) It was like April of 84 and I didn't have enough $ to buy right then so he let me put one on layaway. Several months went by, and I remember him mentioning Tanto - Master Tanto somewhat confusingly/interchangeably to me anyway, but that rang a bell when you mentioned "unlabled Master Tanto" in your comment. Back to the story.. now it's Sept 1984 and I paid in full and picked it up, and now in the showcase was that Quick Draw Kydex Sheath on display with the other Tanto(?) so I asked him what was up with that and could I trade, and he said the sheath didn't go with that knife in the case but he was just showing it off as it was a dealer promo sample and not for sale. I was gonna get that sheath hell or high water, and I had to pay $25 or up? plus give my OEM sheath back to him after a couple more visits and pestering... That was a cool sheath back then, and really handy for carry and use.

I also remember it being 1984 because that winter Nov-Dec he got in the coolest looking (I thought at the time) all metal Buckmaster Survival knife (model 184?) that was some new rare model of course I wanted and (at the time) wished I hadn't bought the Tanto. Anyway, I never got the Buckmaster and was very happy I kept and used the CS Tanto. -Then 1985 came and it was all about Desert Eagle and Coonan Arms firearm pistols. I didn't get another knife again until the 2000's. Me and my family used that Tanto for mild to extreme camping trips for over 2 decades and it never let me down. I have a lot of knives, but that one would definitely go last!

edbZ2Lp.jpg

nb73uih.jpg

Last edited:
I thought I might include some photos to help explain what I'm talking about with the common designs of those earliest Kydex sheaths.

Terzuola

IMG-2852.jpg

Crawford

IMG-2843.jpg

Cold Steel

IMG-2861.jpg

I also wanted to note that two versions of early Tanto Kydex sheath exist. The first is this one, which matches the push dagger sheaths and I believe was the original.

IMG-2884.jpg

The second was the promotional dealer's model, which Viper1357 showed, and which I believe originally looked like this.

IMG-2889.jpg

In researching these, I discovered that a similar Kydex sheath, only with an attached metal clip, was also sold separately by dealers for the first Mini Tanto with brass fittings.

IMG-2888.jpg

IMG-2890.jpg

-Steve

P.S. - Since this is the history thread, it's worth noting that for many years Cold Steel sold another optional Kydex sheath for the Tanto during the period when the knives came with leather sheaths.

IMG-2887.jpg
Interesting that the one with the "fold-over" style clip is earlier than the one with the sewn-on clip. I always thought it was the other way around, with the fold-over being the next version to solve the weakness of the sewn-on style.

So first, thanks for the kudos and information as it jarred my old foggy memory... Okay digging deep so please bear with the story I need to dribble on about as your comment helps me understand a bit more about what conversations (bits and pieces to me now so 3+ decades later..lol) I had back then with store owner/mgr when I got the Tanto.
Yes- definitely sure it was mid 1984 as my wife and I just moved to our first purchased home (townhouse) near the mall where the cutlery shop was located. It was spring 1984 and the shop owner/mgr? had just gotten 2 of these CS Tanto knives in and I had been visiting and chatting with him a couple/few times a week some time before that. I had been working on obtaining my FFL during this same year so we had a lot to talk guns and knives about. Honestly I knew very little about knives then. Probably still..
Anyway, he talked about how cool Cold Steel was, and how he was connected with someone there(?) so he got a lot of info and samples, early production, etc... (blah to me at the time, but if I could score something cool, well...) It was like April of 84 and I didn't have enough $ to buy right then so he let me put one on layaway. Several months went by, and I remember him mentioning Tanto - Master Tanto somewhat confusingly/interchangeably to me anyway, but that rang a bell when you mentioned "unlabled Master Tanto" in your comment. Back to the story.. now it's Sept 1984 and I paid in full and picked it up, and now in the showcase was that Quick Draw Kydex Sheath on display with the other Tanto(?) so I asked him what was up with that and could I trade, and he said the sheath didn't go with that knife in the case but he was just showing it off as it was a dealer promo sample and not for sale. I was gonna get that sheath hell or high water, and I had to pay $25 or up? plus give my OEM sheath back to him after a couple more visits and pestering... That was a cool sheath back then, and really handy for carry and use.

I also remember it being 1984 because that winter Nov-Dec he got in the coolest looking (I thought at the time) all metal Buckmaster Survival knife (model 184?) that was some new rare model of course I wanted and (at the time) wished I hadn't bought the Tanto. Anyway, I never got the Buckmaster and was very happy I kept and used the CS Tanto. -Then 1985 came and it was all about Desert Eagle and Coonan Arms firearm pistols. I didn't get another knife again until the 2000's. Me and my family used that Tanto for mild to extreme camping trips for over 2 decades and it never let me down. I have a lot of knives, but that one would definitely go last!

edbZ2Lp.jpg

nb73uih.jpg

Awesome story that I enjoyed reading! Thank you for sharing it. It really pins down the time frame of the release of that Master Tanto. And because the first models with San Mai III steel were unlabeled, but were already being called Master Tantos, it explains why the knife store proprietor was confusing you with the name.

Earlier this year, a few of us were trying to figure out when Lynn introduced san mai to the American knife market. The earliest reference we could find was 1986, with the release of the Shinobu folders. But your story certainly upends that supposition, with the Master Tanto available at least two years before the folders. You've added an important piece to the puzzle that is Cold Steel's history!

Interesting that the one with the "fold-over" style clip is earlier than the one with the sewn-on clip. I always thought it was the other way around, with the fold-over being the next version to solve the weakness of the sewn-on style.

Well, now Viper1357's story has me questioning my sheath chronology. I thought the fold-over style was first, but now I need to research that. I have an early ad that calls out the availability of the Kydex sheath. I'll have to find it to see what year it ran and which version of sheath is depicted. Unfortunately, I can't access my magazines at the moment, so the answer will have to wait. I'll post back here when I figure it out.

-Steve

I ran across an eBay auction awhile ago that drew my attention. It was for the handleless Master Tanto shown below. The reason I include it here is because it's interesting to note that the tang is skeletonized, as shown in the Tanto ad that ran in Blade back in 1985.

IMG-8458.jpg

IMG-8459.jpg

IMG-8460.jpg

IMG-8461.jpg

IMG-8462.jpg

IMG-8463.jpg

IMG-8464.jpg

As you can see, the knife is the unlabeled Master Tanto, bearing the Tanto marking but possessing the San Mai blade. So, apparently, at least some of those models had the skeletonized tang featured in the ad.

I received this amazing mystery Tanto for Christmas this year. It's what I believe to be one of the original Buck-manufactured 13A Tantos, but with most unusual blackened hardware.

IMG-8558.jpg

IMG-8559.jpg

IMG-8560.jpg

IMG-8561.jpg

IMG-8562.jpg

IMG-8563.jpg

IMG-8564.jpg

IMG-8565.jpg

IMG-8566.jpg

The knife came out of an estate sale and was listed among several other early Cold Steel models, including another Buck-made 13A with the typical polished brass guard and pommel. So I believe that it's genuine and original, despite its being the only one I've ever seen.

I sent an inquiry to Lynn Thompson this past summer, asking about this Tanto. Knowing that he has previously answered other people's queries regarding unusual Cold Steel models, I had hopes that he might shed some light on the knife's history. I still haven't heard back and my hopes are dwindling rapidly....

-Steve
I uesd to cut the rubber handles off of Tantos, Recon Scouts and Trailmasters and make micarta replacements. I made quite a few of themback int the 90's and 2000's

This is my old original Tanto from 1984 with a separate (broken since 2009) kydex sheath from the same year 1984 that didn't come with it, but was a promotional dealer's sample from the same time frame. It's not my oldest knife, but I've used it the most overall through the decades up to 2009 when it was retired after the belt loop on the sheath broke. Favorite knife of all time overall. Thanks for putting out this history thread on it/them.

7lEF6xr.jpg

C6mHQFM.jpg

11FZZLM.jpg

a1ESx01.jpg

kx3i1bF.jpg

AVNGfKu.jpg
That happened to one of my old sheaths and I removed the cracked material and reattached the clip by drilling holes in it to match the rivets in the sheath and attaching it with book screws.

I uesd to cut the rubber handles off of Tantos, Recon Scouts and Trailmasters and make micarta replacements. I made quite a few of themback int the 90's and 2000's

What did you see on the Tantos? What percentage had skeletonized tangs? Were only the Master Tantos skeletonized, or did you also observe regular Tantos with skeletonized tangs?

-Steve

What did you see on the Tantos? What percentage had skeletonized tangs? Were only the Master Tantos skeletonized, or did you also observe regular Tantos with skeletonized tangs?

-Steve
I think most of them were like the one pictured. It has been quite a while since I worked on one. The trailmaster tangs varied a bit more, some were wider than others with only one hole for the lanyard at the hilt. I bought some special drill bits to put holes in them for pins or tubing. I still have a couple of Trailmasters and Tantos as well as a SOG Tigershark that I need to put Micarta handles on for my own collection.

Hello everyone. The "tanto recon" you see below was sold in Amsterdam in the late 80s. Could it in fact be a Cold Steel export model?

Hello everyone. The "tanto recon" you see below was sold in Amsterdam in the late 80s. Could it in fact be a Cold Steel export model
Are there any markings on the ricasso at all? If so, could you show us some close up photos of them?
If there are no markings at all, it would not be a Cold Steel product.

Hello everyone. The "tanto recon" you see below was sold in Amsterdam in the late 80s. Could it in fact be a Cold Steel export model?

That's not an old style CS Recon Tanto. The bolster on yours is reversed from the CS product. The "bulge" or convex side should face the handle, not the blade. The pommel on yours looks more like the pommel on an Outdoorsman, where as the real CS Recon Tanto has the same semi-pointed, or domed, pommel as the Master Tanto.

The "brass" is also too gold colored. I've seen plenty of brass and its never that yellow. The sheath also appears to be of different quality. Its hard to explain, but it has a cheaper look to me, with a shiny finish. Sorry buddy, but it is definitely not an original CS Recon Tanto.

ETA: The sheath is also very different. The CS sheath has a blacked out rivet and snap. The CS strap is also much shorter and doesn't hang off the opposite side of the sheath. It looks like someone had a pile of tanto and Outdoorsman parts, and cobbled them together. If that sheath is authentic, its quite different than the others CS produced.

Last edited:
Excellent stuff. Thanks for making it available.
And what about the new models, with a "fiberglass" handle?
Any tips on how not to be tricked into buying a Chinese knife?

I saw it for sale locally as a "recon tanto" - the seller doesn't claim that it is a Cold Steel by the way, and it doesn't seem to have any markings - and when I googled to see if there were any CS RT with brass fittings, I came across this thread and I was surprised to see they actually do exist, but I noticed several differences. That's why I asked. However, even though I saw a CS ad (in this thread?) warning about fake or low quality replicas, I was surprised that something so similar sold in The Netherlands in the late 80s, not that many years after the first ones came out in the US.

So no worries, I didn't get fooled and I didn't make a bad purchase, I was just curious if there could be CS RT without markings out there, and with different pommels, but I believe you when you say there aren't.

I saw it for sale locally as a "recon tanto" - the seller doesn't claim that it is a Cold Steel by the way, and it doesn't seem to have any markings - and when I googled to see if there were any CS RT with brass fittings, I came across this thread and I was surprised to see they actually do exist, but I noticed several differences. That's why I asked. However, even though I saw a CS ad (in this thread?) warning about fake or low quality replicas, I was surprised that something so similar sold in The Netherlands in the late 80s, not that many years after the first ones came out in the US.

So no worries, I didn't get fooled and I didn't make a bad purchase, I was just curious if there could be CS RT without markings out there, and with different pommels, but I believe you when you say there aren't.
Interestingly, some of the really old ads CS put out show imitations or fakes tested by Lynn Thompson and Dan Maragni, with an admonishment to buy real CS tantos. It seems copies started as soon as the real ones hit the streets. Thanks for posting though, since it's really interesting to see the actual knives from that era, not just black and white ads warning about them.

Back