How well do OKC's 12" machetes perform at regular machete tasks ? ( vegitation & very light brush )

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
I'm thinking about buying the 8513 Camper.
I don't need another machete, but figured it was time to try one of their machetes before they're gone and the 12" is a size I don't have.

The D guard seems to be the only way to get an orange handle and I'm not sure if I'll like it, but I know I can cut that off pretty eeasily if I don't.

Normally I'd just buy one and give it a try, but I recently bought their old hickory machete and the 9" blade turned out to be basically useless so I figured I'd better find out about the 12" blade is first.
I've got a couple 14" machetes that perform great and I don't imagine those 2" less inches would make much difference, but I didn't think the 9" machete would be too short.

12" seems pretty short to me. Seems like you'd constantly be bending over or trying to reach with it. And of course not enough heft.

Heft isn't a concern for me because a proper machete should be fast and lightweight, if I want to chop things I have a number of axes and hatchets.

I use a standard Ontario 12" machete for lots of uses around our yard and woods. Trimming growth on shrubs and bushes...and keeping paths cleared in our small woods for trails my wife and dog meander along during dog walks.

Very useful. I have several larger machetes and goloks, but the 12" comes in quite handy for me. (I don't use it for doing protracted work at ground level.)

I've had a 12" saw back for nearly 15 years and love it. I got the 12" machete because I do a lot of canoeing. The shorter blade makes it easier to carry in a sitting position. The only drawback to the short blade is when cutting briars. You better were gloves because your hand is close to the briars. As far as cutting small woody vegetation it works fine. Just keep it sharp.

well I've decided against it, because the only place that has them in stock is knife center and they want as much as the machete costs just for shipping.
I really want the orange handle, but maybe another retailer I trust has the standard 12" machete without the ridiculous shipping charge.

Back