NJ knife laws.

ChrisFarms

BANNED
I really need some help being cleared up on the knife laws by someone who knows what their talking about, iv read the law and talked to family cop but he is such a laid back guy that unless u look like a cerial killer he isnt gonna arrest u for it. and the written law is confusing as hell

I live in Bergen County.

Typical definitions of a "weapon"—daggers, dirks, ballistic knives, switchblades, assisted openers—are flat-out illegal. You're basically restricted to single-edged folders and fixed blades.

People under age 18 can have any non-"weapon" knife with a blade up to 5 inches long and an OAL up to 10 inches. In regards to this the Boy Scouts usually teach their troops their knife blade should not be longer than their hands, from the fingertip to the wrist joint. People age 18 and over can have a knife of any size.

2C:39-1 h. said:
"Gravity knife" means any knife which has a
blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof
by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal
force
... p. "Switchblade knife" means any knife or similar
device which has blade which opens automatically by hand
pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in
the handle of the knife... u. "Ballistic knife" means any
weapon or other device capable of lethal use and which can
propel a knife blade.
2C:39-3 Prohibited Weapons and Devices... said:
e. Certain weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his
possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger,
dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub,
slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with
metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood, ballistic
knife
, without any explainable lawful purpose, is guilty
of a crime of the fourth degree.

Usually trench knives are thrown into the lot as weapons too.

so all my 3-4.5 inch folders are fine then? endura as my edc is compltely legal too? im 18 almost 19

I live in Bergen County.

Typical definitions of a "weapon"—daggers, dirks, ballistic knives, switchblades, assisted openers—are flat-out illegal. You're basically restricted to single-edged folders and fixed blades.

People under age 18 can have any non-"weapon" knife with a blade up to 5 inches long and an OAL up to 10 inches. In regards to this the Boy Scouts usually teach their troops their knife blade should not be longer than their hands, from the fingertip to the wrist joint. People age 18 and over can have a knife of any size.

No where in the BSA regulations is there any rules pertaining to blade length. It is the individual organizations or camps that have made all this up. A Boy Scout can carry even a machete on them if they have a tote-n-chip card. As a knife maker and a scout leader for 18 years I have researched this very well.

No where in the BSA regulations is there any rules pertaining to blade length. It is the individual organizations or camps that have made all this up. A Boy Scout can carry even a machete on them if they have a tote-n-chip card. As a knife maker and a scout leader for 18 years I have researched this very well.

i just dont want to go getting myself into trouble, because when i put my knife in my pocket self defence isnt a reason, i research my knives in a how much can it be beat on and keep going basis. thats y i want a cold steel, but they look idk.

I live in Bergen County.

A 5-inch blade is substantial, indeed. If a cutting job cannot be handled by a 4-inch blade, I usually reach for my hatchet!

When I was in Scouting we couldn't have blades longer than our palms, which usually wasn't a problem since I carried an SAK knockoff (I tended to lose knives so my dad bought cheap) and some others carried Leathermen. Fixed blades were banned entirely, too.

When I was in Scouting we couldn't have blades longer than our palms, which usually wasn't a problem since I carried an SAK knockoff (I tended to lose knives so my dad bought cheap) and some others carried Leathermen. Fixed blades were banned entirely, too.

It was your leadership or the location of your outings that required the restriction. There is not nor has there ever been a Scouting regulation on any blade unless by the leadership of a troop or Scoutcamp, etc. Stupid if you ask me. It is because of bleeding heart lib tards that this has occurred...I have had parents not wanting their 'little angels' going on a 50 mile bike ride because, and I quote," They are too close to the road and they might get hit by a car." The youngest was 15yrs old.....I was like 'WHAT!!??"

I'm also from NJ and I just picked up a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 which is a hair under 3.5 inches in blade length.

the knife laws i've read in NJ from knife-expert.com doesnt list length but says you need to have a lawful reason to be carrying it. So I dont think "I use this rambo knife to open dvd cases" to be a good enough reason.

I havent had any run-ins with police where they needed to search me and come across it.

I'm also from NJ and I just picked up a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 which is a hair under 3.5 inches in blade length.

the knife laws i've read in NJ from knife-expert.com doesnt list length but says you need to have a lawful reason to be carrying it. So I dont think "I use this rambo knife to open dvd cases" to be a good enough reason.

I havent had any run-ins with police where they needed to search me and come across it.

lol that was funny, Do you think "I use this 3 inch folder or fixed and box cutter (i carry a regular aluminum handle box cutter for tape and a heavier stanley 1 for breaking down boxes) for a produce job at a super market" will work? and tuesday im getting my new cold steel pendleton lite that i plan to also bring with me for when i need to cut something on the floor cause i leave my box cutters in the storage room, right now i carry a buck bantam tho.

small world. same job here.

I use a spyderco delica in zdp-189 as my box cutter, to break down boxes, open boxes, cut shrink wrap on pallets. It slices through that heavy cardboard they use for watermelon bins.

I'm pretty good around customers with it and dont really flash it around much as management probably wouldnt want me to use it and I do NOT want to go back to the store supplied box cutters.

lol that was funny, Do you think "I use this 3 inch folder or fixed and box cutter (i carry a regular aluminum handle box cutter for tape and a heavier stanley 1 for breaking down boxes) for a produce job at a super market" will work? and tuesday im getting my new cold steel pendleton lite that i plan to also bring with me for when i need to cut something on the floor cause i leave my box cutters in the storage room, right now i carry a buck bantam tho.
Years ago, when I was in college and working part-time in a supermarket, I used my EDC (back in those days, it was a 4" Gerber FS II) to open boxes. Worked well for me.

small world. same job here.

I use a spyderco delica in zdp-189 as my box cutter, to break down boxes, open boxes, cut shrink wrap on pallets. It slices through that heavy cardboard they use for watermelon bins.

I'm pretty good around customers with it and dont really flash it around much as management probably wouldnt want me to use it and I do NOT want to go back to the store supplied box cutters.
i asked my manager what i could use and he said anything i want aslong as i dont leave it laying around or swing it around in customers faces, 1 kid who works there uses a switchblade lol, hope he dont get caught with it tho.

i asked my manager what i could use and he said anything i want aslong as i dont leave it laying around or swing it around in customers faces, 1 kid who works there uses a switchblade lol, hope he dont get caught with it tho.
If switchblades are illegal to possess/carry in your state and this kid is using one at work in the supermarket, he is very foolish. If his supervisor knows about this and allows it, then the supervisor is also a fool. That "soccer mom" lady or casually-dressed dude who walks up and asks which aisle the spaghetti sauce is in may very well be an off-duty or plain-clothes LEO. Some people don't get it; they openly invite trouble and then complain bitterly to whoever will listen to them (seen plenty of examples here on BF) after they get criminally charged.

Advice is this thread has been on point so far. The best advice you can take to heart is to never, ever give police a reason to even find the knife on you in the first place. Forget the law, and forget what you feel about your rights - if the police discretion leans in the wrong direction, you WILL be arrested no matter what. It doesn't matter if they use a disorderly persons or simply make something up. Having a knife will just be an easy excuse for them to very easily arrest you regardless of the knife. You probably won't be convicted but it'll cost you some time, plus a lawyer, plus the cost of an expungement of arrest records.

Don't be dumb and they shouldn't even know you are ever carrying anything.

Back