Ontario Ranger RD9.

coolbreezy37

Gold Member
I just picked up a brand new RD9 on the ‘Bay for less than $78 (including taxes and free shipping). I used to own an old pre Ontario RD7 and I’m unfamiliar with the recent Ontario version. For the price I paid, I’m not expecting much. A tough looking 1/4” 5160 and USA made knife for less than $78 OTD, I figured why the hell not. I was under the impression these have been discontinued for several months. Anyone have heavy users? How’s the heat treat and durability on these knives? Thanks, Damien.

They've been discontinued for at least a few years.
My biggest company about the Ontario Ranger series was the blocky scales...luckily, they're easy to shape with a half round file.
Ontario ran their 5160 on the soft side; but it's tough and easy to sharpen.

They've been discontinued for at least a few years.
My biggest company about the Ontario Ranger series was the blocky scales...luckily, they're easy to shape with a half round file.
Ontario ran their 5160 on the soft side; but it's tough and easy to sharpen.
I got mine off a reputable source on the ‘Bay. I’m surprised I was able to find a new one for a good price. There must be some old stock floating around. TKC makes nice looking scales for the Ranger series.

Looks like one I got from Knife Center when they had a supply of them, my only regret was I didn't get one more of them. I ordered a replacement handle for one in G-10 black for it.

I stripped the coating off mine, it’s a tiny bit rough, but not bad at all. Came very sharp, and grind and bevels were very even. I was impressed with the fit, finish and quality of this knife especially for the price.

I got rid of mine years ago.Couldn't stand the big blocky handles and the bad heat(Soft) treat.

I have an original Ranger knives RD9 that I couldn't sell for $100 a few years ago, funny how things change. The blocky scales were bad but everything else was good. Your catch was a good one and now you can shape the scales to fit your hands.

Mr. bramley02- Unfortunately the entire Ranger line has been discontinued as of a few years ago.
the reason why I said RD6 still available: I was shown by some dealer a 2023 commercial catalogue, RD6 is still open for odering. It must be old inventory out there.

You are correct that there is a fair amount of old inventory out there which also makes it especially difficult to determine what steel is being used on each item. Unfortunately it seems to be the nature of the business.

Finally got around to put my TKC G-10 black handle on my RD9DG. My experience with the wood handles is they don't last long the way I use 5160 knives. I wish some one made a G-10 handles for my OKC woodsman. Might have to get another TKC G-10 handle to replace the Orange G-10 one on my one that came with it. That one is dang slippery. This TKC handle one probably going to be my main RD9 user.

I just got one a couple of days ago form the Bay for 55 shipped. It was marked as a 2nd because there was something supposedly cosmetically wrong with it, although I can't find anything. I haven't tested it yet in the field but I'm a bit concerned about the ht considering Ontario didn't necessarily have the most consistent ht. I guess I should count my blessings for 55.

Nice Find! I had ONE RD lemon. An RD7, an earlier model's HT was so bad, when I tried it on light brush the blade rolled on the thingy twiggy things! Every one one I have was Bladetastic.

I love my 3 RD9s where two have TKC G-10 handles, the because of us in an earlier post. I one like a SKARMA, like my old Finn grand dad showed me to use in the field in winter when checking bunny snares when I was little. Finally remembering that from way back when refound my love of knives.

Nice! I've considered the tkc scales but I have plenty Micarta, G10 and CF so I can make my own. Wouldn't be my first time. The wood scales definitely suck but so far so good after clearing some brushes in the backyard. HT seems to be OK on this one.

Grabbed a Ranger NS4 for around $50. Not a huge fan of recurves but for the price I couldn’t say no. Now I have a old spear point RD6 with the birds head pommel, a Ontario RD9 and now the NS4.

Back