REKAT gaining disproportionately in popularity?

shootist16

knife law moderator
Bob, just out of curiousity, did you anticipate the demand for your product or did it catch you off guard? Also to what do you attribute your company's success? Do you think the Carnivour and Escalator have had anything to do with it, or is it the rolling lock itself? While doing the website for Confederate Cutlery, http://www.confederatecutlery.com (shameless plug
smile.gif
) I noticed that Jeff didnt sell REKAT. I advised him that I thought there was going to be quite a demand for these knives. He just informed me that he is going to carry your knives and expects a shipment in a couple of weeks. I cant wait to get my hands on a carnivour.

------------------
Front Site Communications "web sites with impact" http://www.knoxplace.com/fsc

I may be wrong since I new to this knife business, but I suspect REKAT is slightly ahead of the "tactical" production game. The Carnivour with rolling lock and a barely sub 4 inch blade holds a lot of promise for those looking for a "dependable", at the limit tactical. I think the Axis and the Pinnacle are the other pretty known non-linerlock knives. Their blade lengths are what... around 3.6".

If REKAT gets the "sifu" out, CS may have to look over their shoulder for those who don't mind paying a bit more for the rolling lock on a big folder.

Kinda of exciting to watch this unfold (pun intended).

sing

My impression at the moment is that REKAT is disproportionately popular here on the forums, but in real life I don't run into REKATs as much as I'd like. I've been hoping the Carnivore would break REKAT open, and make them as easy to find and handle as, say, an EDI Genesis. With the Carnivore, REKAT has finally put it all together, let's hope this breaks them through.

The Axis is a 3.9" blade, BTW, and the Pinnacle 3.6" I think.

Joe
jat@cup.hp.com

Thanks, Joe, I stand corrected. This means I'll have to go back and give the axis another look and consideration.
wink.gif

sing

[This message has been edited by sing (edited 31 March 1999).]

I've never seen a REKAT anything at any of the cutlery stores I frequent. The only place I've seen or heard anything about a REKAT is on the REKAT website, this forum, and, (dare I mention?) that other forum.

I ordered a REKAT Pioneer from Kansas Tactical ( http://www.kstactical.com ) a couple days ago. The wait is KILLING me; Matt told me I'd probably have it by Friday.

REKAT has interested me enough to purchase one of their products without having seen anything more than a picture and the promise of the superior strength of a rolling lock over a linerlock.

Now, where is that UPS truck?

I couldn't find any locally, either. I finally bought a Utility Kneck Knife over the phone, based upon the praise I'd read in BladeForums.

Now if someone would just suggest a way to keep the ball chain from pulling chest hairs...

I always thought that the Pioneer was a sleeper. I truly love these knives and have several of them. They also get USED and still look great.
The Carnivore is next on the list, but I can't seem to find any.
Bill

Thanks for the positive comments. This years goal is to increase production 500% and get more distrubition. For a company going into it's fourth year we have made a bit of a splash. I would like to think it has been our orginality and inovation. The Rolling Lock has earned the respect of our peers which says a lot. Later this year a number of other manfactures will but licensing the Rolling Lock. Bob Brothers (the REKAT design team is Bob and I)I have some truly inovative and exciting projects in the works. I non of you are fimilare with Bob Brothers he made top quality automatics for years and a well rounder knife maker. Bob also makes excelent Damascus. Yes if we ever get caught we are planning on some Damascus and presentation models. The next thing new will be the Sifu the megafolder which we are thinking on selling at the Forum first, since it was concived here.

Bob Taylor

Bob Irons (or others),

Thanks, I've read references to heat-shrink tubing. Can you tell me what it is, where I can find it, and what I ask for when I get there?

Walker,
Go to the electrical section of any large hardware store and ask for it. It comes in many diameters. Get a size that is slightly larger than the diameter of your chain.
You simply heat it and it shrinks to a very tight fit while remaining fairly elastic.
You can use a cigarette lighter to heat short lengths. I'd probably use the kitchen stove on a longer piece for better uniformity when shrunk.
Bill

I was introduced to REKAT by a fellow police officer. As the defensive tactics instructor for a small police force, he stresses the importance of carrying a blade that is easily accessable to the weak hand to aid in firearm retention. (IE - If someone grabs your sidearm, you clamp down on it with your strong hand, and draw the blade with your offhand and use it to discourage the person from any further attempts at liberating your weapon.) He wears a Hobbit Fang in his duty belt just behind his magazine holder. It tucks in there beautifully and it's a real suprise when he draws it. Since my indoctrination, I have purchased a Fang for myself, a Tank...I mean a Pioneer for my dad, and am scouring for a deal on a nice used Pocket Hobbit. Disproportionate popularity growth? I don't think so. It's just a hell of a company that is making a hell of a product that is becoming more readily available due to increased positive reviews, interest, and availability.

The popularity is, imho, justly earned. I find myself reaching for my Fang more & more often when I leave the house, due to the utility of the piece & the various carry options. Every other REKAT product I've encountered has been well-made and decently priced- I now have my sights on the Carnivor & trust it will perform as promised (when I finally scrape the last few nickels together)

Why in the world would you want a Spyderco Military compared even to the "old style" Pioneer ?
The Pioneer costs less, and will be around a few decades longer.
Bill

I echo the preceding sentiment. I just bought a 1st-gen Pioneer off an auction sight, and the thing is AWW-SUM! It locks up more solidly than any other folder I have and can be used as a mallet or pry-bar in emergencies, it really IS a tank. At first I found it uncomfortable in the hand, but a little oil to smooth out the action and some filework (thumb-ridges on the back and smoother edges to the G10) have made it SWEET. the only remaining gripe I have is with the clip, which is incredibly strong but not optimally placed for comfort. It's can be had for a quarter of the price of a Sebenza and will likely be exhibited in perfect condition in some archeological museum in the year 10,000.
(ok, I admit that if i had the money, I'd buy one Sebenza and not four Pioneers . . . but that's only because I'm wildly irrational . . . . )

------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Hey Fishface ( that kills me
wink.gif
)
Just take that stupid clip off !
The Pioneer belongs in the pocket or belt sheath anyway.
Tough as a fixed blade, but occupies half the space. Gofigure ?
Bill
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back again Fishface.
You really don't know what you have until you have broken it in. See what you have after 500 or so open/close cycles.
And, just wait until you try to sharpen it !
Those guys at REKAT make HARD ATS-34.
Better pick up a diamond stone.

[This message has been edited by Bill McWilliams (edited 06 April 1999).]

Back