So what are your favorite OKC knives, tools or what ever you like or have used?

So what are your favorite OKC knives, tools or what ever you like or have used?

I love my SP-8s, 10s, 51s, 53s. Kukri to! Winter froing/batoning of wood is the safest way to split it. (AFTER YOU USE A SAW!)

All my RDs, my Tantos are my midling heavy choppers, 7s (NS ones to) are my main general purpose woody hood do stuff blades. My 9s do what people would use an SP-5 for. RAKs are great compact do it all blade. TFI is a good all round light carry as well, down to one... RD6s...I kept a few...two going to relatives as the last of the last of the gifted blades about every one I gave one two, REALLY needed it at the time. The NS4s are seeing big critter season cutting duties oddly.

The Cerberus's I got...glad I did get them when I did, nice light fix blade, they do the bushy stuff if there is no RD around.

Woodsman....full tang SP-50, my 5160 I baby to much, the 420HC (OKCs own blend?) I gave away...not because I hated them, because other people could use them more proficiently that I could. Well I got one last one for myself. Its my family's favorite heavy butcher blades, they would never take it out like my first 420HC one I got I tested the heck out of it. Second one never made it past the kitchen. My "Evil" Step Mother (Hey they are called "Evil" by Tradition! And Traditions are Important!) uses her's as her favorite heavy butcher knife with its all purpose SS blade. My brother uses his for about all kitchen tasks. The others...one tried to take it out on a camping trip, but the "One who Must Be Obeyed" saw it and took it to "HER" knife block with a case lock. He never saw it again. My beater 420HC woodsman gets used for all netting and other food and camp tasks. (not by me. Its one knife that MUST BE RETURNED!) Large non coated SS knife is great for mass food prep. The other heavy knives I loan out or gave away did the big non axe jobs and such.

For me it all started with the Gate Way SP-10. Probably the best affordable reliable, dependable and if need be expendable large knife that covers a lot of tasks. Even a few feral domestic critter encounters it kept me from harm. And its probably the last OKC one I'll ever get. Why, I got a small "Collection" of OKCs that will out last my life time...but I still probably will give them to family and friends if I see them idiots...er um... "Wilderhood challenged" needing atleast one good tool. Yeah my Buck 110s or older folders are in the pouches for their bushy stuff once they find out their 900 dollar weird wacko thing isn't that versatile.

Just some of my meandering ramblings of what OKC has allowed me to get and do things with their products.

okcsp5_1.jpg

Well, this will probably somewhat ironic if you've ever seen the knives I carry these days and post in the EDC thread in General, but some of my favorite OKC knives have always been the RAT1s. I joined this forum way back in 2013, and I count that general time as the time where I got into the "Knife Game" that most of us here are into. Back in those, days, the General Knife Discussion section was wall-to-wall threads about what knives were the best for a very small amount of money, and the RAT series, and other notables such as the Ontario Utilitac series (another favorite), the ESEE Zancudos, and many many others were the topic of COUNTLESS threads. So, I joined up and wanted to really experience more than the knives I've grown up using, so I started purchasing some of these knives. I remember when I spent the first significant chunk of money on knives that at that point, I'd ever spent. I purchased a Spyderco Stretch, a Buck model (with the swedged blade, I forget the name), and a RAT1. OD green handles, partial serrated blade. Of those three knives bought a decade ago, the RAT 1 is still in my collection. Battered, used, but still sharp, and still with that smooth action. It remains an excellent value for dollar proposition, and one of the knives I still recommend, and I'm a bit bummed that those might go away. I still own three, but it's making me want to try to get one of those they made in S35vn before they're all gone by other folks with the same idea.

Along with that first RAT, a lot of Utilitacs, Zancudos, and RATs (both 1 and 2) have come and gone in my collection over the years. I've gifted most of them to people who were like I was back at the beginning, who didn't know anything about knives, and had asked me (the resident knife guy they knew) about what they thought would be best. So, I was the source for a lot of new OKC fans over the years. šŸ˜†

I don't carry many inexpensive knives these days, but I'm going to have to pick up a few other things before they dry up.

My favorite remains the Bagwell-designed SP 18 Frontiersman, one of which I bought when they were probably about $50 new.
7tl5p7.jpg
These were great, I like mine better than I liked the high end Ontario Bagwells. Very fast knife, wish I bought a bunch for projects.

I also like the SP5, SP53, SP6. The SP10 is a great looker, but a little heavy, so I'll put it at the end of my list. I would've loved to have seen it with a full flat grind.

I also liked a little known series Ontario had in the 90's called the "Great Lakes". It was three traditional patterns done up in brass, stacked leather, and stag tips. I would have loved to see that idea tried on some of the Spec Plus line.

OK...I was able to pin down the knice kniece knives she sweet talked me out of and "Acquired" ones from her family.

I gave her an SP-10 she wanted to use one like her dad as she managed the construction crew of her dad's that year. So I gave her one that she grabbed so fast I forgot to take the Cerberus I had strapped to it and the Gator Blade in the pouch out...man she's fast!

Well the SP-10 is used or construction and the car knife and 4-wheeler/snowmobile knife and bail out/car/survival pack.... It keeps changing "jobs" about the best way to describe it.

The Cerberus is "The Knife" she uses for belt and taking for cutting things, well that's what a knife is for. Its used for most things, a knife is used for. About the only thing I can say about it. She keeps it in the glove compartment as she uses it quite a lot. The Gerber Gator is the EDC duty.

The RD Tanto she stole from her BIG little brother (who stole it from his dad), is her "Chopper". Given her not so big size and the smaller handle it has, she uses it for clearing brush and stuff at her grandmother's place. Also for doing camp site duties, its smaller than the SP-10 so it has became her main "Chopper". My nephew stole his dad's RD6 for his cutting duties now.

The RD6...um...don't know she "Acquired" it from...maybe her other uncle I gave one to...is the car/pack survival that also doubles as a "Large" (for her) bushy type knife. She drives her little siblings and cousins around, so having it in the car also she likes to have. Think that's why my step brother gave it to her.

Some she uses a lot, others she likes to have for "Just in Case" moments and still finds they are handy to be where she needs them when she needs a knife.

Nothing much "Spetacular" to report, just knice knife use is about it. When it comes to my younger relatives, I like it when its goodly normal around them.

That's a shame they made some nice knives for the money. Maybe the new owner will make some of the new blades out of 8670 steel here in the USA. We can only hope I guess. I just got a SP-10, hell of a knife for the money out of good steel as well. Hopefully Dan will still be around too.

Both are great winners. I gave most of my RD6s to friends and family. Most of them used them that made a disaster in to a big annoyance side adventure. That's the reason I gave them the RD6s. The RD9, can do every thing...literally. From Bushy stuff to big blade duties. My DG model I got G-10 handles for. For me its my American Skrama. Finnish Grand dad took me out using one, it stuck in my memory and when "Big Blades" came out in popularity, I remembered the adventures when I was knee high to him in the winter and his "Sword" knife. (when your that shorted to you its a sword! Like a Hobbit and an elven long knife). NO ONE GETS MY RD9s! Or RD7/NS7. He was showing me how to do bunny strangulation murder devices...er Bunny Harvesting With Wires! He made a mean Snowshoe Hare Stew. And other things I learned from him. Things the old man got mad when I said Grand Dad (his father in law) showed me a while ago. RD9 became my general grab (with a folding lock back in the pouch) blade when the nieces and nephews herd me in to the wilderhood for a walk to fish the pot holes with monster fish in them. Its light like an SP-5, sharp due to its FFG and a 5160 pry bar if needed.

I been liking my RAT 6s that made me get some while I can. They still can be found at TKC at the normal cost pre-OKC going under.

The SPL Dive knife if nifty to. I been using it for ice fishing and the prying front is handy and you get a heck of a lot of magna cut for the price. I like the saber grind on it to.

These two. I bought the 499 on a whim and soon forgot about it. Got it out one day and sharpened it up. Was surprised to find it performed way beyond expectation ever since (as a knife, I do NOT throw it :rolleyes:). The 498 is for fun mostly, though sometimes a longer blade comes in handy.

44-BEB82-E-631-C-4-ED7-A920-DA6-E0-A47-F6-F6.jpg

I had a 498m, but gave it to a little brother who get more use out of it than me. The full flat spine, 1095 blade made it a perfect wilderhood knife/tool as well. Wish I got 2 when they were $30 BUCKS a piece on sale.

Back