Survive! GSO-12, now with sheath poll.

Would you like the GSO-12 sheath to have a side snap?

• No, please make the sheath function with a straight in and out action.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Yes, I like to lever my big knife into a sheath from the side.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Either style suits me, I don't have a preference.

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters
I went back through the previous GS0-12 threads, and boy are there some interesting discussions in some of them, but they are all pretty old by now.
Since Guy has piqued our curiosity with his "What's in the box?" instagram teaser and a lot of people answered "A whole bunch of 12's!" I thought I'd start another one.
My question remains, "How are you going to configure the kydex sheath for that monster?"

^^^^^Good question!

Because of the blade shape...
VKSDiFW.png

...I'm guessing something similar to this where the blade comes in from the top with possible added security like a snap and strap.
D9MsEcW.jpg

^^^^^Good question!

Because of the blade shape...
VKSDiFW.png

Blade-shape really is really pretty straight, there's no need for an open-back sheath and retaining strap. While the blade is widest in the belly and narrow near the handle, so are most machetes, for example (not my photos):
7fee495e.jpg
parangatang.jpg

The major difference is not so much the blade shape as the handle orientation - you could have a straight sheath that is wide at the mouth, and it really wouldn't be all that wide (have you seen the GSO-10 sheath? ;) )

I need to pay closer attention to sheaths for large knives. The Kabar really illustrates your point. And really, I'd prefer a straight in and straight out style sheath, like the 10. The thing that got me thinking was how the 10 has an edge and spine that are parallel, but the 12 does not.

I totally failed to post an image of the Becker Machax - the extreme of this altered orientation but still a straight sheath. *shrug* That doesn't mean the 12 won't have an open-back sheath anyway, I have no special knowledge on the matter, I just know it doesn't need to have one.

Id like something that drops straight in but with a knife this size it should come with a dangler to create some clearence. Ive gotten in the habbit of clipping my gso 10 into my pocket instead of on my belt as its easier for me to put in and out of the sheath

Id like something that drops straight in but with a knife this size it should come with a dangler to create some clearence. Ive gotten in the habbit of clipping my gso 10 into my pocket instead of on my belt as its easier for me to put in and out of the sheath

J Joecleo86 You, sir, are in need of a UKE!!! Back when then original GSO-10 came out, I started working on my Universal Kydex Sheath Extension (dubbed UKE by Silver) that attaches to ANY kydex sheath for a S!K as well as sheaths for a WIDE variety of other brands, is both height and angle adjustable, accommodates high-ride, low-ride, and even dangler-carry, and is compatible with a variety of other accessories like Tek-lok, molle-lok, and G-clips although the kit includes enough pieces that you don't need any of those. Oh, and did I mention that it's inexpensive?

There is a link to re cent thread on the UKE 2.0 in my signature-line, and here is a photo of how I carry my GSO-10:

HpYiBsR.jpg

Here is a crummy video I made a while back with the GSO-10 and the UKE:

One customer made this video before I made some changes to the design:

And here is a video advertising the UKE itself:

After reading the description of the SK 12 it appears to come with a kydex sheath as well.

I'm bumping my own pathetic little thread because I still want to know what kind of sheath this monster is getting! ;)

At the present rate of progress, you might find out in 3-4 years' time ;-)

I remember when people were dizzily discussing whether Survive! would produce a GSO20 model. Seems like a long time ago.

I remember getting flamed for suggesting that at 20 inches I'd prefer a Survive machete. ;)

Back