Take the Speed Assist out of the Kershaw Boa?

Has anyone taken the Speed Assist out of a Kershaw Boa, or any of the SA models.

I really like the knife, but I don't like the SA, so if it is possible I would like to hear from anyone who has done this.

Thanks.

You could always buy Kershaw's version of the Vapor, which doesn't include the SA. Having handled both an Onion Vapor and the Kershaw, the latter is a big disappointment. The Kershaw lacks the SA, the flipper, and the proper gripping surface of the custom, but it's not a bad deal for an inexpensive production framelock, and larger than the Camillus EDC models.

As to removing the SA itself, probably easier not to have bought an Onion/Kershaw in the first place.

As a side issue, does anyone know why the Kershaws suddenly seem to be getting slower in terms of SA? I used to have a Scallion that was quite fast, and when I went to try on a Boa, they were all slow, as were the Scallions and Chives that were available. Or have I confused much-fondled demo models with NIBs?

eda-koppo: I have owned a couple of Scallions and a couple of Boas. The Boas are slightly slower opening than the small bladed Scallion. I believe the weight and mass of the blade has much to do with the speed that the SA gives to the opening. The Boas do seem to speed up, however, after the knife gets broken in.

mikemck: Just curious as to why you would want to purchase a Boa(the cost of which includes the Speed Assist) and then take out the SA. There are plenty of other $140 knives available that give you more for the money if you don't want to pay extra for the Speed Assist. I personally like my Boas very much. However, the sharp edges of the flipper tore up some new pants pockets, so now the knives are only carried in a custom leather sheath by Gary Graley.

eda- koppo,

I did consider the Vapor, but the Boa is about the only Kershaw that appeals to me. Thanks for the recommendation though.

jayharley:

There are a few reasons I got a Boa. The design is excellent and very appealing, but I had no idea the SA was as troublesome as it has turned out to be.
If the only knives I owned had the SA, it would probably not be a problem, but already I have sliced 3 considerable fillets from my thumb with the Boa, due to the SA and attempting to thumb it open like my other knives.
If removing the SA is not practical, I'll give the Boa away to someone who appreciates the SA.
The quality is first rate, and overall I really like the Boa, but the "gimmicks" do not appeal to me..in this case, "gimmicks" being the SA and the secondary safety lock. It is my opinion that both have great potential for creating problems, at least for me.

Tom Mayo:

I had thought it was a simple matter of removing a spring or two, and thanks for confirming that for me.

I would be happy to take it off your hands to save your thumb. Don't have a Boa yet.
But first note that if you are opening it with the thumb stud, it is done a flick of the thumb, without you thumb leaving the handle. If you follow through like you would with a regular manual opening knife, you will get cut.

mikemck: You are very correct: when opening the Boa it is easy to cut your thumb if you use the thumb stud. Use the flipper only, with your index finger, and you will get a very safe and speedy opening. That is the reason the flipper was incorporated in the design.

Maybe it's just me, but I've never managed to cut myself opening any SA knife using the thumbstud.

Heh, I even took my Whirlwind to work last night to show eveyone. Showed a few completely non-knife people how to use it, they didn't cut themselves either. And one guy insisted I go into great lengths about how it works and why it bypassess anti-switchblade laws.

But anyway, yeah, it's just a case of stripping the knife down and removing the spring. You can do it "blind" quite easily, but if you want to see the mechanism so suss it out before stripping the knife, just look up the patent online.

Doesn't the speed assist spring help keep the blade closed?
If you take it off, you may have problems with it opening in your pocket.

I took my thumb stud off and use the flipper only. Works great! :D

Joe

I love the design of the Boa. I also do not like the speedsafe. This is the reason I haven't bought one. Don't get me wrong, I think it is cool but I just don't like it. I would much prefer to open it manually. If I want an auto I'll buy an auto. The reason I haven't got one and taken the speedsafe out is that, as mentioned above, I thought it also kept the blade closed. Let me know how it turns out. If it doesn't adversely effect the knife I'll get a Boa for myself.

Using the thumbstud with any speed-assisted knife takes a little practice. Instead of guiding the blade with your thumb out then upwards, all you have to do is push out on the stud, perpendicular to the handle. The torsion bar takes care of everything else. It's a very small adjustment, but takes a few practice openings to get used to.

I've never cut myself on my Scallion, but I use the flipper almost exclusively. When I do use the studs, I use my middle finger and flick it open on the other side of the blade.

I used the Scallion without the torsion bar for a few days while I waited for the replacement. It worked okay, but be warned: there is no ball detent on the blade. You will have to use the lock at the bottom of the handle every time you close the knife. I could flick the blade out very easily. I'm sure the bigger blade on the Boa would be more prone to opening by itself.

I hope this all made sense. If you still don't like it with the bar removed...:D

Zero

Back