The Schrade Walden 153 Uncle Henry...Golden Spike & Schrade 153UH variations..

When did the 153UH change to a stainless blade?
I have a 153UH with a carbon blade, no stamped numbers, in a brown box.
Can some one help with a date for this Golden Spike... Ken

I have seen H-15 knives sold by Craftsman labeled as Golden Spike, with an etch to go with it.

Sears has some kind of special permission to shuffle Schrade pattern names to suit their tastes. Like the 165 pattern etched Deerslayer. Or most of the name changes in the Sears American Eagle Series.

Am I misremembering promotional material that explained the "Golden Spike" to be initially a commem of the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad ( November 6, 1869)?
If memory serves, that is correct. At least that's the way I think I remember it. :p
-Bruce

Irv? Eric? Larry Roo? Can some one dig up the promotion literature/ad I am remembering? I remember so little these days it seems a shame to let a good one go to waste. :p

......and then there were three! Mine, Jakeboys', and now the winner of that auction.....great!.. more of the Schrade Golden Spike 'story' unfolds...wonder what its serial number is..? was it a Forum member who bought it as it was certainly affordable for such a scarce Schrade model.....I would have asked seller the question re serial # if I had seen it...after some 39 years both the others have obviously been used <as they should>. I wonder who put mine aside, mint in the original box and ignored it...<I'm glad they did!>.....so how many more out there?...and Codger of course was spot on as usual in his hypothisis that others existed....must have been made and dispatched with the first lot of Schrade tang stampings after the transition period 72/73 Schrade Walden to Schrade <only>......Hoo Roo

1. Yep
2. It is.
3. Will know soon enough
4. Yep
5. Still can
6. True
7. A non-hunter who got it for Christmas or salesman who chucked them into the closet
8. Keep looking... I still need one (NIB of course)
9. Even a bling hog finds an acorn now and then
10. Or kicked out the door as replacements.. the first warranty pieces after the name change or sales samples or....
11. Yee haw!
:D

Question: with the Schrade practice of issuing replacement knives, was it normal practice to fill out the registration for the replacement knife? My Schrade Walden Golden Spike has had the registration certificate filled out and presumably sent as it has been neatly torn along the perforations leaving the top of the certificate with the rest of the bling....so could mine have been a replacement knife?....conversely if it had been a salesmans knife or a forgotton gift would the certificate have been returned to Schrade?...I believe it would indicate my knife was an original purchase,presumably by a non hunter or at least a hunter who was a very bad shot who never actually got to skin anything...it remains absolute minty....Yee Haw.......Hoo Roo

A replacement would not likely have included the certificate at all. IDK if salesmen were provided with all of the bling for these knives or not. The poor hunter or bad Boy Scout whose parents took away his knife may have sent the registration in upon purchase, then ignored the knife afer he stuck it in his drawers. I mean...

It is always a puzzlement to imagine how so many useful knives survived the years without someone using them, or at least being tempted to rub them down with a gritty stone, particularly when they, for the most part, predate knife collecting as we know it now.

Nice find! I'm sure others will chime in here. Post pics when you receive it!!!!!

From that auction:
IT IS MARKED SCHRADE WALDEN NY USA 153 ON THE BOTTOM OF THE BLADE, WHERE THE BLADE MEETS THE HANDLE IT SAY"S UNCLE HENRY 01857

That serial was sequential in production. So there should be nearly 2,000 out there somewhere less the ones lost and destroyed since 1972-73. Since these were mostly users, a small portion would remain unused, a percent of which would still be found with the original box and bling.

Yes, I was surprised at that high number. BTW, I did NOT buy that knife. My economy figures are down. :(

...then there were 4 little Indians....its interesting that all four known examples we have seen thus far have the same distinctive staglon handle pattern..i.e. much white/cream staglon with only the dark "stag" pattern towards the rear pommel....most unlike even the first 1973 stamped 'Schrade' handles....so if you recognize the handle with very poor photographs you can obtain a bargain like that buyer has,and well done, hope its a member here....<still only seen one MIB!>..Hoo Roo

Hey guys I was able to win that knife yesterday. I can't wait to get it. I'm going to take it up to canal street to get it cleaned up and sharpened. I hope it's not to pitted. Does anyone think this is a bad move? Alex did an amazing job on a 171sw for me. As you guys know the factory they are working out of is the original factory befor they moved to the large plant. They even have much of the old equipment. Even the same people! Can almost call it a factory edge. Well that's deffinately bending the truth. Don't really matter im not planning to sell it.

Congrats on the get James! I recall hearing that for some time after the move, the fixed blade knives were still being produced in the old Walden facility. The bus that moved workers from Walden to Ellenville often carried boxes of fixed blades to the new Channelmaster factory for final finish, packing and shipping. So with your knife, it may be possible that "Elvis has reentered the building"!! :thumbup:

Back